New exhaust for my '98 5.4L

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011 | 06:18 PM
|
Red face New exhaust for my '98 5.4L

Hey,

after reading the sticky on top I'm pretty sure what I want from my new exhaust, but the market is so big that I really need your help!

The sound should be as deep as possible but not too loud because I don't wanna being pulled over by the cops because I broke every noise pollution law. So no true duals with only glass packs as silencers.

At first I have to say that I live overseas in Europe and therefore I want to order at SummitRacing because they have great options for international shipping. So selection of parts is limited!

This is the way I plan to build the new system.

- K&N replacement filter & gotts mod
(alternative would be a K&N cold air intake because gotts mod isn't street legal in Germany and more difficult to build back to oem than the K&N cold air kit...)

- Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cats 94106
(Two or one? Unfortunately the truck is sittin in the shop right now so I'm not able to sneak a look beyond it right now...)

- Catback System with Dual Exits at the back because (again) 45° and 90° exits aren't street legal... so no other way to go

-> Dynomax Ultra Flow SS
-> Flowmaster Force II (includes Series 50 muffler)
-> Cherrybomb Vortex

Any help is appreciated!

Greets, Johannes

Old 06-10-2011 | 06:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Scratch the K&N. Well, just the filter anyway. You want a good dry element that flows and doesn't plug up. Run a Amsoil nano fiber. Any 3" piping will do, you don't need to spend the money on a K&N set up. Getting rid of that K&N was one the best things I've done for that truck. It remains consistent without MAF contamination.

A Borla muffler is what your looking for IMO.

Two High Flows.

Old 06-10-2011 | 06:46 PM
I would recommend an 18" magnaflow oval body with those 94106 cats. Hell, save your money and just cut the 2 rears off and keep the pre cats. Anything smaller will be loud, and you said you dont want too loud.

Last edited by migdaddy; 06-10-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-10-2011 | 07:44 PM
|
I can't cut any cats because every 2 years I have to do an emission tests if the truck fails this I'm not allowed to use it on the street anymore...

It can be loud but not earblasting loud, so straight piped without cats for example would be too loud, what about the dynaflow ss catback kit? found some videos on youtube and it sounded way better to me than the flowmaster force 2...

The Borla catback system is friggin expensive.

Old 06-10-2011 | 07:56 PM
Are there any exhaust shops that do custom work in Germany? If so, thats a better way to go. Buy a muffler, tips, and high flow cats and your good to go. Youll save mucho cash over a kit and you have more options.

Old 06-10-2011 | 08:01 PM
|
Yeah we have an auto shop in my family, the only reason I didn't want a custom setup is that every 2 years I have to get the truck inspected if it's still street legal. In case the technician says he won't let the vehicle pass the test because it's too loud it would be easier to swap the cat-back system against the OEM one for the inspection than a custom (true dual) system.

So, long story short, the oem system will be stored in case the new one proves difficult during inspections. If a custom system would sound/perform a LOT better than it's maybe worth the extra work.

Old 06-10-2011 | 08:05 PM
The only difference between a bolt on cat back kit and a custom weld on kit, is the bolt on can be done yourself, is more expensive, less options as far as mufflers go, but you have the ease of swapping out if necessary. Your not going to get any performance gains from exhaust. Sound will be it. I would look into a magnaflow kit with a 14" muffler. That will sound real good with the 94106 cats. Straight through mufflers will be deeper than chambered mufflers that are raspy, so keep that in mind.

Old 06-10-2011 | 08:15 PM
|
This is the kit summit offers me for my truck: Magnaflow 15749

Do I have to remove the spare wheel with this kit?
This plus the two high flow cats really is quite expensive.

Thanks for your help! Your Signature shows that you're running 3" bullets, these things seem to be very loud, too bad I can't run such a aggressive setup.

Old 06-10-2011 | 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Johannes
I can't cut any cats because every 2 years I have to do an emission tests if the truck fails this I'm not allowed to use it on the street anymore...

It can be loud but not earblasting loud, so straight piped without cats for example would be too loud, what about the dynaflow ss catback kit? found some videos on youtube and it sounded way better to me than the flowmaster force 2...

The Borla catback system is friggin expensive.
Makes no sense purchasing high flow cats then running a chambered mufller. Kind of defeats the purpose lol. However, the Flowmaster does sound good IMO. I use to run a 50 race series. But man, it gouged into my low end to much and very noticeably. Try the Flowmaster for awhile, try pulling some weight with it as well. Then swap to a straight thru design. That's when you realize what you've been lacking lol.

Old 06-10-2011 | 09:04 PM
This is the kit summit offers me for my truck: Magnaflow 15749

Do I have to remove the spare wheel with this kit?
This plus the two high flow cats really is quite expensive.

Thanks for your help! Your Signature shows that you're running 3" bullets, these things seem to be very loud, too bad I can't run such a aggressive setup.
Cat back kits are NOT cheap. Thats what you need to realize. Buying a muffler and welding it on is at LEAST half the price, if not less. I would just do a simple muffler swap with a 14" magnapack and keep your OEM cats. That will be a good sound, pretty similiar to mine. I just have a 3" SINGLE bullet, which will be louder than your 2.5" magnapack, which shouldnt get you into trouble, but I dont know the laws in Germany. You can also clamp it on, and if you need to just clamp your OEM muffler back on.

Old 06-10-2011 | 10:43 PM
Mig wile haveing a shop do it can be cheaper it all depeands where you are at. You can get lets say a Maggie cat back for 650 All Stainless and a shop would charged 800 for that around here and most around here cant bend it. and for a Alumianized it would be 600 around here.. Now this is my part of town and could be cheaper somewhere else.

Old 06-10-2011 | 11:57 PM
I am suprised the Flowmaster Force II does not get more recogition. It got great reviews from people at Autoanything and supposedly doesn't have that Flowmaster "raspiness" inherent in some of their other offerings. I even considered it for my 2010 FX4 after watching the install video for it on Youtube. Seems pretty mellow but still have a little bit of thump to it.

Old 06-11-2011 | 01:02 PM
|
Summit is listing two Flowmaster cat-back systems, one with "mild" sound and the other with "moderate" sound but both seem to have a 50 series muffler... so where's the difference?

Old 06-11-2011 | 01:39 PM
Summit is listing two Flowmaster cat-back systems, one with "mild" sound and the other with "moderate" sound but both seem to have a 50 series muffler... so where's the difference?
No difference, they both suck.

Old 06-11-2011 | 02:34 PM
One of them probably has the SUV Series while the other has the Delta 50 (or HD 50).

Last edited by Arklight; 06-11-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply: New exhaust for my '98 5.4L