New Member Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011 | 05:03 PM
|
New Member Questions

Good afternoon everybody! I am new to the forum and I will have some pics/profile updates coming soon! I just got a 2007 Black F150 King Ranch (Her name is Black Betty) about 2 months ago and I have finally saved some money and am ready to make some performance/appearance mods to her.

I was pretty much set on my plan to start with performance mods and then move to the outside stuff (Bumper replacements, headache rack, tool box.... etc.) But, after reading up on some information on these threads, my head is spinning and I am not sure what to do as far as performance tweaks...

I wanted to start with an intake system (K&N, AFE...??) but now I read that they are pretty much useless unless you have a "custom tune". Despite hundreds of other opinions that I have heard saying that intake systems are a "Very good idea" and it doesnt make a difference whether you have a custom tune or not... I am trying to get more info on this. Can anyone help me out??

Also, I want to look into mufflers and headers... does anyone have some insight? I have been searching on the forum but any other opinions will help.

Thanks a lot and I look forward to learning more from y'all!

Old 06-30-2011 | 05:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Intake--Gotts mod or Airaid MIT

Headers--obx longtubes

Muffler--borla or magnaflow

Old 06-30-2011 | 07:14 PM
Welcome to the site. Just a suggestion, visit this forum one a month - otherwise you'll go broke

I'd say a decent number of members have (or will) end up doing these:

Gotts Mod

True Dual Exhaust - X-pipe

Old 06-30-2011 | 07:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Your best bet is Gotts mod intake, custom tune ( specify for 3" intake ). Run a Magnaflow #10778 Y pipe and 3" midpipe to a 3" inlet Borla, or Magnaflow muffler of your choice, if dual outlet, run 2.5" tails. If you want headers the OBX and Dynatech LTs are the absolute way to go. If you plan to go blown/supercharged later, may just as well run 2.5" true duals X piped with quality mufflers such as Borla's and Magnaflows.

For the intake, you NEED the custom tune to get full potential out of the change, and the quicker transmission shifts and healthier performing engine are a plus too.

Old 07-06-2011 | 12:57 AM
|
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I'll take it all into consideration when I decide!

Quick Reply: New Member Questions