CEL after gotts mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HoldMyBeer
You're right. My post count directly reflects my knowledge. Thank you for pointing that out.
You know your fair share of tricks and procedures, yet you have no clue how to clean the MAF? Poor truck.
i specifically said that the fact that you had only 4 posts meant that you probably hadnt read many of my posts or threads, not that you didnt know anything.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
Your 2006 has electronic throttle body.
The code refers to an issue with that part's function.
Remove the plugup and reinsert it to be sure you did not hit the plug when working on your mod.
If you don't find anything, it's dealer time and they will not look favorably on your intake mod.
Sometimes air mods on these later trucks has been known to upset the AIR/ FUEL ratio and cause lean codes.
What were you looking for with that mod?
Good luck.
first off, thank you for the advice.
By doing the mod I was simply looking for an easy way to increase airflow to my engine(and I was bored lol). It has already taught me a lot about my engine(the hard way) but I dont regret it.
As for the electric TB, I find that the plugs on and around it are very hard to get off. After sliding the red lock backwards It takes a lot of tugging, is this normal? I feel that if I cant get it off when im trying to, it would have been difficult to accidentally knock it off. but ill give it a look-see.
again, thank you for your input

Old 07-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
For technical write ups on how to go about doing things on your truck...go here>>>click link>>>https://www.f150online.com/forums/articles-how-tos-119/

Save as a book mark on your computer for future references.....

Take care

Old 07-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Ok, but your getting into a complex system before you have learned much about it and it's getting you into trouble.
Attempts to increase airflow has no value under normal driving conditions.
The air cleaner and piping flows more than enough air to feed the motor even up to it's max rated horsepower and rpm.
Consider this for air flow.
The electronic or manuel throttle body controls how much air 'at any given opening' will be gated into the intake.
The intake air hardware at these small opening for cruise and normal driveing is greatly in excess of demand. Even if you totally removed the air filter and all it's hardware, it would not mean any more airflow past the throttle plate at any point but possibly near wide open throttle where you don't run very often.
Consider the science behind what you might want to do and see first if there could be any value in doing a change.
I Leave you with this throught, the motor is controlled by a program with inputs from sensors. Doing any changes in an attempt to alter what the program 'does' for power gain becomes a program 'reaction to' instead and can lead to unintended effects.
This is the mistake to many get into by trying to make changes on the outside of an engineered system operation.
Only way to make a possible change and have the program act to 'include' it rather than react to it, is to change program parameters to that effect along with the hardware.
I have tried above to appeal to your common sense and knowledge so you can think deeper into the whole operation.
Your 508 code is a throttle body issue and it's operation is quite complex unto it'self.
It has a seperate micro processor and bus back to the main PCM and deals with and makes decisions on how much to open the throttle plate, when and how fast.
There is a guard program to prevent engine run--away etc because you have no direct physical control like the older trucks up to 2003 that has spring loaded cable actuation. In that light, get it serviced by a dealer because it is such a critical operating part for safety such as shutting down on you at 70 mph in the 4th traffic lane, no throttle control etc as just one example and you have no direct control of it if the program would not respond to your pedal position.
Good luck.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
For technical write ups on how to go about doing things on your truck...go here>>>click link>>>https://www.f150online.com/forums/articles-how-tos-119/

Save as a book mark on your computer for future references.....

Take care
unfortunatly there isnt a how to on my style of MAF. in my truck the MAF is connected to the air filter housing but you cant just unscrew it. it has its own housing around it.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:33 AM
today when I started my truck to go to work my CEL was suddenly gone...Idk what I did or didnt do but its hasnt come back yet(after driving about 100 miles tonight) .

Old 07-28-2011, 02:09 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Perhaps monkeying around with the wire connectors was what did it. Like said earlier you could have accidently yanked one of them.

If it pops up again that is the first place to look.

BTW how is it running?

Old 07-28-2011, 02:12 AM
its definitely running better than before I did the gotts mod. better throttle response and more "get up". it also seems like my shift points have changed tho...my exhaust doesnt peak at its loudest point anymore.

now I have an unopened can of MAF cleaner and TB/air intake cleaner sitting in my room lol

Last edited by hardrock3742; 07-28-2011 at 02:16 AM.

Quick Reply: CEL after gotts mod