Help Should i tip my buddy??

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it really depends on the friend. I have a really close friend, my only true friend actually and both always help each other out. What goes around comes around. Has your friend ever asked for assistance from you? Did you expect anything? I never expect anything and neither does my buddy. When my trans dropped last fall he was over helping me swap it on the ground for a day and a half. When the trans dropped in his chev a couple years ago I helped him out. When I moved he helped me and vice versa. If he doesn't want to accept anything just be ready to help him out in his time of need.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:12 PM
I agree with most of the above. Hundred dollar gift card would only go for a minimum of day and a half of work though lol
My sisters boyfriend needed me to move some stuff with him with my truck on two separate occasions within a week. He said he would give me gas money beforehand. I said ok cool with me. Well after the work was done he asked me if I wanted gas money. I was like no keep your money. It kind of pissed me off though because that aint right. I don't care about the money or the gas but as a matter of principal you don't tell someone you will give them gas money beforehand and then ask them if they want it after the job is done. You say here is your gas money five bucks or whatever. Just pissed me off but I didn't say anything but you bet your *** I won't be helping again.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Should add that my Dad asked me to get about twenty five bucks of Diesel products at the store since he couldn't make it into town. I bought the stuff and brought it to him and had to ask him to give me the money for it. He reluctantly forked it over. Ive used his shop a couple of times and helped him with projects but that pissed me off. He said he would pay me beforehand so when I give him the stuff he should be ready to hand me the money. Wont do that again either. Some people know how to appreciate help and some people just want to mooch off you and surprisingly its normally family doing the latter.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Alex_4.2L
Should add that my Dad asked me to get about twenty five bucks of Diesel products at the store since he couldn't make it into town. I bought the stuff and brought it to him and had to ask him to give me the money for it. He reluctantly forked it over. Ive used his shop a couple of times and helped him with projects but that pissed me off. He said he would pay me beforehand so when I give him the stuff he should be ready to hand me the money. Wont do that again either. Some people know how to appreciate help and some people just want to mooch off you and surprisingly its normally family doing the latter.
I've never helped a family member expecting anything in return. If you do you will only cause heartache amongst yourself. Either do it because it is family and you want to or don't do it at all.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Micheal
I've never helped a family member expecting anything in return. If you do you will only cause heartache amongst yourself. Either do it because it is family and you want to or don't do it at all.
Obviously you didnt read my full post . If someone says they will pay you back for something they asked you to purchase family or not they need to follow up on their word.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Obviously you didnt read my full post . If someone says they will pay you back for something they asked you to purchase family or not they need to follow up on their word.
Read your full post I did. My comment was meant in general when it comes to family. They are the ones to take advantage more so than anyone. I just used your statement as the quote. Calm down a little.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Sorry I get defensive about the whole situation Yoda. lol My parents are separated and my father has screwed me over several times and tried to get over on me on others.

Any way, a little appreciation goes a long way. The thought really does count.

Last edited by Alex_4.2L; 09-16-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:53 PM
I agree with most of the above. Hundred dollar gift card would only go for a minimum of day and a half of work though lol
My sisters boyfriend needed me to move some stuff with him with my truck on two separate occasions within a week. He said he would give me gas money beforehand. I said ok cool with me. Well after the work was done he asked me if I wanted gas money. I was like no keep your money. It kind of pissed me off though because that aint right. I don't care about the money or the gas but as a matter of principal you don't tell someone you will give them gas money beforehand and then ask them if they want it after the job is done. You say here is your gas money five bucks or whatever. Just pissed me off but I didn't say anything but you bet your *** I won't be helping again.
I'm right there with ya man. Its not about the money, its about the way it's handled.

As for the OP's buddy... Beer and food is always accepted. While money may be good for some people, it all depends on your situation. With my crowd of friends we are always good with food and beer payments. But YMMV. For us, its a matter of being happy to hang out with each other and work on cars, it's something we enjoy. None of us have a shop though, so that's kinda where the weird bit comes in, but if your buddy offered to help then I'm sure he doesnt expect something crazy. Maybe a, "what do I owe ya man", "at least let me get your dinner and beer".

Old 09-20-2011, 06:11 PM
I've had a few friends come by the garage to fix this or that and I can tell ya, the biggest satisfaction for me is being able to help. Even if its my beer we are drinking after the jobs done, the BSing and bench racing that happens afterward is reward enough. I'm pretty particular in who I call friends and I don't ever expect anything from them but their friendship. That's what friends do for each other. For me, I wouldn't expect anything from a friend when their in need. Sometimes the best bond can be created over nuts, bolts, and elbow grease. That's payment enough.

Quick Reply: Help Should i tip my buddy??