Help Should i tip my buddy??

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011 | 05:04 PM
|
Help Should i tip my buddy??

Hey guys i am having a friend help me throw my exhaust system on at his shop and take the old one off. Its a stanless steel exhaust so it isn't a crazy job but should i throw him some money for helpin me do it? If so how much or you think like a gift certificate to a restaurant or something like that will do. Please ne help be great

Old 09-13-2011 | 05:14 PM
buy him lunch or a couple beers

Old 09-13-2011 | 05:15 PM
Case of beer, buy him dinner, or both.

Old 09-13-2011 | 05:34 PM
All depends whether or not you "Truly appreciate" his help and the use of his shop or whether you are just "Using" him. If you "Truly appreciate" his help and use of his shop, don't hesitate to let him know that.
Definitely buy the evenings beer and pizza and if he has a significant other give them a gift card to a nice restaurant, make sure the amount of the gift card is adequate to cover their entire (reasonable) dinner bill.
I never give a restaurant gift card for less then $100. In "most cases", that should be adequate to cover the appetizers, entrées, desert, a couple of drinks and tip for 2 people.
If he is a single guy who doesn't do fancy eatin places, buy him something for his shop to show your appreciation.

Old 09-13-2011 | 05:54 PM
x2. $100 card for the two of them is right on the money, or a case of beer or a neon/antique sign for his shop might be appreciated instead, if he is single.

Different places sell repro signs made to look like antiques--I bought three FoMoCo signs at a local fair for around $25. If he is a Chevy guy/exhaust/other, they make them as well.

Old 09-13-2011 | 05:59 PM
$100 for installing an exhaust, must not have very good friends. If a friend tried to offer me $100 to install a premade exhaust I would laugh and tell him to keep it and buy me a beer.

Old 09-13-2011 | 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by azmidget91
$100 for installing an exhaust, must not have very good friends. If a friend tried to offer me $100 to install a premade exhaust I would laugh and tell him to keep it and buy me a beer.
You are putting a dollar value on the friends help.
You clearly fail to grasp the concept of what it means to show ones appreciation to a friend for their help and the use of their shop.

Old 09-13-2011 | 06:27 PM
|
I am very grateful that he is willing to help me out make it easier on me trying to do it on the ground when we can put it on the lift. Also i am putting these other tips on and we may need to build an extension for the tips so i mean i just wanted to thank him just didnt know what to do.

I was planning on buying lunch and what not but i mean say he is like na im straight and then what to do throw him $100? I mean thats what im trying to figure out what to give him for cash or gift ifg he didnt want to grab lunch or beers?

Old 09-13-2011 | 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by mlamprey
You are putting a dollar value on the friends help.
You clearly fail to grasp the concept of what it means to show ones appreciation to a friend for their help and the use of their shop.
Here are a couple of the vehicles I have built at my shop...

You clearly fail to grasp that a true friend helps another in need, unless it is something extensive and custom fab work I don't let a friend give me money. Buy me lunch and we are good. now if he feels it is necessary to compensate him for his time, first offer him money for his time, when he says ho tell him "at least let me buy you liunch/dinner" depending on when you ar done. Just giving my opinion where I have been on the exact opposite side as the OP (the friend with a shop).

Old 09-13-2011 | 06:44 PM
|
yea. gotta say i wish i owned a rat rod for sure

Old 09-13-2011 | 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by azmidget91
You clearly fail to grasp that a true friend helps another in need,
And a "True Friend" will go above and beyond to show his appreciation for that help. If the appreciation gets turned down it can either be left as such or one can find another avenue.
You do things your way and I'll do things my way.
Personally, if a "true friend" of mine goes out of their way to help me, I am damn well going to go out of my way to show my appreciation for that help.
The dollar value of said help has no bearing.

To the OP, your friend may well turn down the offer of a C note, but it is doubtful that he will turn down a gift card to a nice restaurant when it is presented to him while in the company of his significant other, along with a genuine explanation of why you feel he earned it and why you want to say Thank You.

PS for azmidget91. Those are some Nice rides !

Old 09-13-2011 | 07:35 PM
You can't go wrong with beer and food! I would suggest offering an invite to your house for a beer BBQ!

Old 09-13-2011 | 11:58 PM
Honestly I wouldnt really accept money from a friend, I helped my buddy rebuild his old ford he just supplied a the beer and food runs. You can never go wrong with a big case of beer or something for the shop or such. Giving money is awkward if you are close friends usually makes weird moments unless he asks I guess. Me and my friends pay each other back in flats of beer and tools depending on the situation...

Old 09-16-2011 | 11:42 AM
I have a good freind that I help all the time, and When I need a hand he is always helping me out, I don't expect anything, If I am helping him he gets lunch, I do the same on the other side of the coin. But he is one of my oldest freinds.

Old 09-16-2011 | 12:27 PM
I helped out lots of my friends with repairs and information and I expect nothing in return. I do it because I want to and I figure what goes around comes around. When I need a favor they do the same but one or two of them have dropped off a good bottle of whiskey for the bigger jobs and I do appreciate that.

Quick Reply: Help Should i tip my buddy??