Custom vs Bolt On Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011 | 04:28 PM
|
Technical Article Contributor

Custom vs Bolt On Exhaust

Im currently running a Flowmaster SI/SO setup that came with the truck when I bought it a year ago or so.. not to mention the wimpy little tip on there. Ive been thinking of what exhaust to go with but cant seem to decide on a particular setup/brand. with all the different choices and videos on youtube I cant seem to make up my mind. I like the side exit before the tire look but not sure how loud that can actually get.

Truck Facts:
5.4 Screw 4x4 with 8" Lift and 35's-37's coming soon.
I do a bit of hwy driving..

Also would there be any power gains from illiminating the cats ? Using X pipe ?

Would appreciate some pointers and advice from you guys..

Old 09-21-2011 | 06:06 PM
Have you re-geared? Definitely read the exhaust guide sticky. LTs wll give good gains with your main focus being torque but they tend to drone a bit. Unless your blown you wont see much in the way of power gains. Deleting cats is illegal (installing good high flow cats is not ) and with your 8" lift would be very easy to tell. General consensus is Borla and Magnaflow. "Good" sound is all about your opinion.

Old 09-21-2011 | 06:40 PM
side exit is the loudest you can go with a muffler. Drone and outside volume. It sounds the best though IMO. No power gains with an X pipe (unless your running true duals with no crossover) and no power gains with high flow cats. Shoot, read the exhaust guide. It will tell you everything you need to know.

Old 09-21-2011 | 07:29 PM
^ X2

We can't make the decision for you. You will have to decide on what sound you like the best. Do your self a favor though, pick out a system based solely on sound, not performance or mpg. You will be disappointed if you do.

Quick Reply: Custom vs Bolt On Exhaust