k&n exhaust vs. custom exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2001 | 06:06 PM
|
Question k&n exhaust vs. custom exhaust system

i read that some of you had went with the k&n system.i am trying to decide what to go with.the k&n system or the custom duals with a glasspack with a Y.i am looking for the max pulling power.and i am looking for a good sound.the truck has the 4.6L

Old 07-22-2001 | 08:19 PM
K&N Exhaust

I thought that K&N was out of the exhaust business.

Old 07-22-2001 | 10:34 PM
|
no they still have the exhaust systems.i was on their web site today.

Old 07-23-2001 | 02:34 PM
My .02

I think you can get a "custom" exhaust for less money, but you are also taking some risks. Most muffler shops haven't flow tested or dyno tested their assembled systems so you really aren't sure what you are getting. The individual components might have been tested, but not the whole package as it is installed on your truck. Some people don't care either way, but I felt better knowing that some engineer somewhere hooked my exhaust up to my engine and figured out that under a certain set of conditions, it was going to increase the output by x horsepower. Plus, I couldn't find a shop locally that would fab up a stainless system, just aluminized. I figure if I am going to make the investment, I might as well spend a little more and make sure it lasts.

Old 07-24-2001 | 08:01 AM
I have the K&N exhaust on my truck and the low down is this. Very quiet and mellow, but just right at wide open. Easy install with only one trip to the shop for welding the head pipe. Well constructed without a doubt. The guys at the muffler shop were impressed with the quality of the system as well as myself. On the other hand I am 99% sure K&N is not making the systems anymore. They may not have updated their website. I had one on order 2 months ago with truckperformance.com and it did not show up with the other things I ordered and I called them. Out of business they told me. So I called K&N and they confirmed it. No more cat back systems. I ended up finding a place that still had one on the shelf and got it for less money than truckperformance.com. All in all if you want a boost in power and seat of the pants feel, but a more quiet tone K&N is the way to go, if you could find one on a shelf still. If you want loud it is not. Just my 0.02 cents worth.

Old 08-01-2001 | 01:19 PM
I'll second that, K&N is out of the exhaust business. I like mine with some minor reservations. Fit and finish is awesome. Still looks good after almost 5k. Might go with a Gibson next time to avoid the drone.

Quick Reply: k&n exhaust vs. custom exhaust system