Borla Questions (LocoScrew... anyone)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2001 | 07:12 PM
Sundog, if that was the case I think he would have said I can't keep my wife "off" it!

Old 08-15-2001 | 10:22 PM
Hey LocoScrew!

Today I had the wild notion of installing a kit myself, too.

I look at it like this, if it's a well designed kit, everything should fit well and it shouldn't be too hard to install.

I went by a local shop and they tried to sell me on a Flowmaster system. They do great work, but I really wasn't sure I wanted a flowmaster and I was pretty sure I didn't want their aluminized tubing.

So do tell, was installation a total breeze? I'm hoping to exit behind the rear wheel. What should I expect? Seems everybody exits under the rear bumper - I just gotta be different!

Old 08-16-2001 | 09:13 AM
Screwed - I am not sure about the dual outlet systems, but the single system didn't look too hard to install. The hardest part is getting your old system off. The shop I took it to had to use a cutting torch. Once you get that done, the Borla system (as well as Gibson, Magnaflow, etc.) uses all the stock hangers and fits exactly like the old parts did.

Old 08-16-2001 | 07:14 PM
Screwed in NC,
Borla is definately an engineered system. It goes on very EZ. Use a Sawzall to cut off the old system. Start from the back forward hanging and fitting the Borla system, leave all joints loose with the clamps in place. The split rear system went right from the factory joint after the Y connector. My tips come right to the inner edge of the rear bumper and are very much positioned evenly on both sides. You can accomplish that by slowly tightening the clamps and turning the different sections of the system. The only thing I wish I would have done is left about 4" of the factory pipe on the Y connector, I would have preferred my tips being even with the outer edge of the bumper. I would recommend leaving a little of that pipe on at first and then cutting it back to your liking as you do the final fit to the system.
It is a very EZ install. Don't worry about welding the joints, heck the factory joints were not even welded and the Borla Fittings and clamps are far superior in design.

Old 08-20-2001 | 11:06 PM
Unhappy Crap - Borla only exits rear for F150

Loco, thanks for the info. I have access to a sawsall, fortunatley if it comes to that.

But, looks like Borla only offers a rear exit system for the F150.

I'm going to try another shop that does a lot of custom work to see what they can do for me.

Old 08-24-2001 | 10:21 AM
Question BORLA's

Hi fellas. One question for those who have installed the Borla split rear system. I saw the ad at truckperformance and the info says that it bolts right up to the cats'. Since this is a SI/DO system, does it come with a replacement Y pipe? If not have any of you replaced the factory Y pipe along with the addition of the Borla set up?

Thanv in advance.

Old 08-24-2001 | 04:37 PM
The Borla system starts at the first factory joint after the Y connector. I myself have not replaced the Y pipe.

Old 08-25-2001 | 04:16 AM
|
Part Number

I just need to verify the part number for a 2001 F150 5.4L SuperCab for SI/DO Rear exit Borla system: the part number I have is 14808F but my shop can not seem to find that part number and Borla themselves are not being too helpful...

Old 08-25-2001 | 08:52 AM
Old 08-25-2001 | 11:16 AM
|
Thanks I did try www.borla.com, but all I keep getting is the part number for the single rear replacement, not the SI/DO. That and when I call Borla they do not seem to be much more help... I will call them again and see if the next person I talk too has more information... I got the number from one of the older catalogues, for a 2000 F150, I was just wondering if it is the same part for the 2001 or has something changed with the model year that I am unaware of?

Old 08-25-2001 | 01:18 PM
Noncqtr, sorry I can't be more help. I love the intro at Borla and that is just about exactly what you will sound like after a couple hundred miles. Good luck with finding the right part number. FYI, when I used truckperformance.com it took 7 weeks to get my order and a local 4x4 shop could of had it for me the next day for an additional $40 bucks. Try a local shop and let them know what you think you can get it for and they will do the investigating on the right system and try and meet that price for you.

Old 08-25-2001 | 11:52 PM
|
My sincere thanks to everyone!

I just wanted to thank everyone, and especially LocoScrew, for your help with this. I went to the place that was supposed to do my exhaust with the Billet Grill and Bed Liner, but they gave me the run around and pissed me off. I told them to forget the exhaust work and just maintain the appointment for the other work which they do in shop (exhaust they subcontract). I would have had to wait another 3 weeks to get an appointment for the exhaust was one of the reasons I just said forget it...

Anyway the crux is I went to a shop I had seen on my Saturday cruises that had the Flowmaster banner in it. I went in to check on the availability of a Borla system, and they did not carry it but would order it for me, or they gave me the option of the Flowmaster system which they had. I asked if I would need an appointment and the lady asked if I had my truck, of course I did, and she said they could do it now if I wanted the Flows... So an little less than an hour later I drove out with a Flowmaster 40 series SI/DO rear exit for literally less than half the price the other shop quoted for the Borla system alone (not including the installation). I figure if the Flows go out I will just get a new set and still be in the plus!

Shoot they did beautiful work too! I am very happy with the outcome, although I did not get the Borla system I wanted I got my truck sounding mean and looking good!

Thanks again all.

Last edited by Nonsequitur; 08-26-2001 at 12:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Borla Questions (LocoScrew... anyone)