Borla Questions (LocoScrew... anyone)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2001 | 08:14 PM
|
Borla Questions (LocoScrew... anyone)

I have a 2001 5.4 4X2 and I want to upgrade the exhaust. I am undecided really but right now the Borla system is turning out to be the most attractive to me. I do not want to lose too much low end by adding a new exhaust system, but I want to upgrade the sound of my truck.

I was curious about the costs related to getting the Borla system, versus the Flowmaster systems? I want to end up with a dual/rear exit/slash cut tip/3" system that will not hurt my trucks performance at all... Does this exist? I have heard that the Borla system does this best, or would I be just fine going with a FM 40 or 50 series (Delta Flow or Original) with the FM y-pipe?

FYI I like the thought of the stainless Borla, but I am also a Flowmaster fan and have a co-worker with a Dodge that has FM 40s that sounds pretty good. I am looking for a 3" out system that will keep my truck somewhere near its stock performance in the low-end (I am probably day-dreaming); as my truck right now may sound soft but can literally light-em up anytime I want it too...

Ohh my poor rear tires!

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide!

Nonsequitur

Old 08-02-2001 | 10:15 PM
|
ttt

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-03-2001 | 06:53 AM
Hi Nonsequitur,

I just finished installing a borla exhaust on my 99 4x4. It's the single outlet with dual tips. Really nice and easy to install. I did have to go to my mechanic and have him extend the 2 middle hangers.

If its sound you want, then I'd stay away from the borla, although I haven't noticed any low end torque loss, it only makes noise when you get on the throttle and most of that is drowned out by the Airforce 1.

This is all just my opinion!

Roland

Old 08-06-2001 | 10:29 PM
You need to decide what you want -- Noise or performance. I have a SI/DO Borla with slash tips on my 4x2 Screw. I enjoy the throaty, mellow warble that is definately NOT stock sound. I've noticed a distinct increase in my getupandgo with no loss of low end torque. However, it is not close to a FM sound. To my ears, FM's will provide you with that "cool" bark and rap that a lot of guys like. But neither is the FM even close to the engineering you get from the Borla. I wanted more than just better sound. I wanted a proven performer too. I got exactly what I paid for.

Old 08-07-2001 | 12:07 AM
|
Thanks for the responces guys.

I am looking for a nice medium between sound and performance, but if I have to chose one it would be performance over sound. I like the power and performance of the truck as is, the sound is mellow but it is there when I get on it. The Borla I gather just enhances the stock sound a little but performs better than the Flowmasters.

Ideally I would like the dual rear exit for the look, but performance is the key with me. The only problem I have is finding a trustworthy shop to do it...

Thanks again for your help.

Nonsequitur

Old 08-07-2001 | 02:28 PM
borla

Borla is great for performance but they do not make a dual exhasut. All there exhaust are single outlet.
Borla is also expensive around 6-8 hundreds.
Also Borla are very very quiet stock sound. My friends has one.

I just got rid of my Flowmaster. It was too quite for me. I also loss some low end torque with the FM.

I went with a Vortec (cherry bomb)muffler. It has alot of rumble. All most too much, but I love it. It is a performance muffler. I gain some hp. I had 3inch pipes install.

My tips are 22inches long chrome tips with 4inch oval exit.

I have the dual exhaust coming out from my trailer hitch. It looks really mean.
I am so happy with it. If you want rumble go with a Vortec.
If you want more hp, stainless steel, but very very quiet
then go with the Borla, if money is not a question.
good luck

Old 08-08-2001 | 11:15 AM
I went with the Borla SI/SO system and I am very pleased. At first, there was very little difference in sound. Now after about 1k miles, I notice it is a little louder. Certainly not Flowmaster loud, but better than stock. The full throttle sound is excellent, and I haven't noticed any "popping" common with Flowmaster systems. My main concern when purchasing an exhaust was not sound, but performance, so this was the right choice for me (I would rather most people NOT know that I have done any work to my truck - attracts less negative attention from the boys in blue). I could have saved $100.00 or more going with a Flowmaster system, but I felt better buying an all stainless exhaust that I knew would last, and one that was flow tested and engineered to work with my truck. Good luck.

BIGREDEXPY - I think Borla does actually make a SI/DO type system with rear exits. Just an FYI.

Old 08-08-2001 | 08:07 PM
|
Jacap1

I would really be interested in the SI/DO Borla if it exists... I think though I may have a hard enough time finding a shop to do the Borla, but there are a couple that do Flowmasters... I do not have any place to order it and have it delivered too either, and is a main reason I do not have more mods done to my truck already.

BTW the Flowmasters do not really attract the attention of most boys in blue, and most likely they will not pull you over for them either. Of course I do have an inside track on that... I am one of them.

Nonsequitur

Old 08-08-2001 | 11:52 PM
Perhaps BIGREDEXPY doesn't have a vehicle that accepts a dual Borla. It DOES exist and you'll find it at Truck Performance .com. I like mine. It's DOES sound much nicer than stock. Understand, however, that it takes about 100 miles or so after install for the new system to sound its best. Once the guys at Midas installed mine, it didn't sound any different than stock. I guess the computer took awhile to get used to the increased flow.......I dunno. (I also have an Airaid intake). I got my Borla for $419. That's not much more than a Gibson SuperTruck. Shop around.

Old 08-09-2001 | 10:50 PM
Sundog7 -- I'm interested in the Borla SI/DO setup. I have a 2000 XLT SC, 5.4L. Been reading all the different exhaust threads on here, and finally decided I think the Borla dual setup is what I want. My one question is have you noticed any drone at highway speeds, or any noise in the cab above what the stock exahust provided?

Old 08-10-2001 | 12:49 AM
DesertRat: No drone, bud. I was concerned about that too. I wanted to be sure all the bark stayed behind my gate where it belongs. At highway speed, you are only aware your exhaust is playing a lower octave. It is not at all intrusive. When you're sitting at a light with your windows down, it's just like stock, except you're aware the exhaust note is lower. If you're standing behind the truck, the low burbling is pure music. It's a bit more pronounced under load, too (like when the A/C is on). Moving smartly from a stop, you hear that nice low warble as the tranny moves thru the gears. Compared to the harshness of the Flowmaster, the Borla has a softer edge. It's not obnoxious. When you stand of the gas, though, anyone standing nearby is definately gonna know you don't have a stock muff. Still, it's not noisy. It's nice. Real nice. And you won't be giving your local Deputy cause to pull you over for being rude. It's an easy install. Securely packaged. The midas gusy didn't have any trouble at all. Fit was perfect. My only beef: I wish the tips were about 3 inches longer. They look nice enough, but they also look too short, as if just shoved on as an afterthought. This has been money well spent. Two years from now, my system will still sound the same, long after the glasspack-types have literally blown their wads.

Old 08-10-2001 | 10:28 AM
Ditto

Desert Rat - I have had the same experience with my Borla set-up as Sundog. I do get a hint of resonance in the cab when I am cruising at 60mph/1700rpm or so, but as soon as I apply a little more throttle and get past that range it is gone. Other than that, not much louder than stock under most conditions. But when you get on that throttle it really sounds sweet! Considering the quality, performance, sound, and warranty, I don't think you can go wrong with the Borla system. May be a little more $$$ than some other systems, but it is well worth it.

Old 08-11-2001 | 11:44 AM
Just saw this post sorry for not responding for a while.
Borla does have the SI/DO. If you go thru the order info for the truck on truckperformance.com it will auto. reccommend this system. The Borla system is absolutely great. I have about 2k on mine now and the sound has progressed with time to a very destinctive mellow purr. It is very noticable when you get on it. In my opinion any more noise is just that noise. The "only" downfall to the system is that it does take about 200-300 miles for the sound to come thru. If you are looking for a bad a** sound Borla is not it. However you will not lose but gain torque and will achieve a sound that I feel is just right. I would also reccommend opening up the intake system if you haven't yet. One last note I had to wait 6 weeks to get mine thru truckperformance.com because they were on back order. During that time I had found a local supplier that could of had me one the next day but it would have been about $50 more. I have gotten many compliments on the Borla sound and the intercooled tips. Just do it! If your not happy you can spam me for the next year.
Also install is EZ! It took right at an hour. If you do go for the install yourself let me know and I will let you know what I learned in the process.

Old 08-11-2001 | 12:20 PM
I went with the Flow Master, leaving the 2 1/2" outlets, one in the
stock location, and the other matching (mirror image) on the opposite side rather than both exiting under the bumper.
We have a great local shop in the North Central Ohio area that can bend anything, anytime, anywhere. The guy is an artist..
The Screw 4 x 2, 5.4 triton, 3:55 L/S, is second only to my 2001
Silver Lightning.
Can't keep my wife out of it......

Old 08-15-2001 | 03:00 PM
So, Marc, can we deduce from your post that your wife prefers bigger "tips" ?
<ouch>

Quick Reply: Borla Questions (LocoScrew... anyone)