Good Loud mid tone with little drone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012 | 10:51 PM
|
Good Loud mid tone with little drone?

OK so here's my situation. Awhile back i had posted on here about getting a fart master for my '05 5.4L V8, which was noted as bad idea. After talking to a friend who has offered to help me do my exhaust setup I have decided to go with a true dual setup. Here's what I'm looking at going with.......

-Catless
-X-pipe
-2.5" pipe
-18" Magnapack
-45 side exits on both sides
-chrome tips

Will this produce a good deep or mid loud tone with little or no drone and is the 18" magnapack the best size option for sound as far as the magnapacks go?

Old 04-02-2012 | 10:56 PM
Here ya go, bud.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...s-concern.html

Nice, eh? Ol' Dewser did hisself proud!

The only thing I don't agree with is 'catless' - running two high-flows would be fine.

Old 04-02-2012 | 11:22 PM
|
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Here ya go, bud.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...s-concern.html

Nice, eh? Ol' Dewser did hisself proud!

The only thing I don't agree with is 'catless' - running two high-flows would be fine.
I do like His setup, i think he did a pretty good job.
And the cats are a toss up for me, since were I live they aren't required so maybe I'll try the setup with and without and see which i like better. Thanks for the idea though.

Old 04-03-2012 | 07:35 PM
You want to run without cats, but you don't want any drone? Good luck.

I strongly suggest leave the cats alone to minimize drone. No cats, or high flow cats will be louder, but the added drone goes with it. Not really much you can do about that.

Old 04-03-2012 | 09:38 PM
|
Originally Posted by avfrog
You want to run without cats, but you don't want any drone? Good luck.

I strongly suggest leave the cats alone to minimize drone. No cats, or high flow cats will be louder, but the added drone goes with it. Not really much you can do about that.
That makes sense, but how much drone do you think I would run into by going cat-less. Do you think it would be unbearable or would i be able to tune it out with my stereo, just curious.

Old 04-04-2012 | 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by zmrowe93
That makes sense, but how much drone do you think I would run into by going cat-less. Do you think it would be unbearable or would i be able to tune it out with my stereo, just curious.
OP - apart from the potential drone aspect ( and the obvious federal legality issue - local inspections or not) here is something else you probably did not know concerning the importance & benefits of retaining cats - refer to paragraph 3 in this post:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/2205745-post15.html

I'd wager 99% of the folks considering or doing this are not aware of their impact on some aspects of performance, overall. Of course, none of that matters if you choose to run retarded mufflers like Fartmaster butt-plugs, oversized tubing, dimpled pipes, etc - their issues far overshadows any effects felt by the presence or absence or cats :lol

Now you know exactly why I am not an advocate of going 'catless'.

Last edited by MGDfan; 04-04-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-04-2012 | 04:33 PM
|
Originally Posted by MGDfan
OP - apart from the potential drone aspect ( and the obvious federal legality issue - local inspections or not) here is something else you probably did not know concerning the importance & benefits of retaining cats - refer to paragraph 3 in this post:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/2205745-post15.html

I'd wager 99% of the folks considering or doing this are not aware of their impact on some aspects of performance, overall. Of course, none of that matters if you choose to run retarded mufflers like Fartmaster butt-plugs, oversized tubing, dimpled pipes, etc - their issues far overshadows any effects felt by the presence or absence or cats :lol

Now you know exactly why I am not an advocate of going 'catless'.
So I'd basically be greatly affecting performance and gas mileage but not in good way. Guess I'll just have to spend a couple extra $$ and get high flows.

My next question would be that since my exhaust has two stock cats on either side, should I delete both of them and put in 1 high flow or should i delete just the rear cat and put the high flow in place of that?

Old 04-04-2012 | 10:18 PM
^ You don't want drone! Leave the cats alone!

High flow cats will greatly increase the amount of volume inside and outside the cab. Start with the mufflers and exit. Then, if it's not loud enough you can install some high flows or remove the cats.

Old 04-04-2012 | 10:22 PM
If no cats = louder exhaust, then louder exhaust = more drone.

I'm not sure how else to explain it, but I am trying to help you reach your goal without being disappointed. So many people want a bad *** sounding exhaust that shakes the earth when they drive by, but they don't want to hear it in the cab. The 2 of these roll together. Not much you can really do about it.

Old 04-05-2012 | 04:10 AM
|
Originally Posted by avfrog
If no cats = louder exhaust, then louder exhaust = more drone.

I'm not sure how else to explain it, but I am trying to help you reach your goal without being disappointed. So many people want a bad *** sounding exhaust that shakes the earth when they drive by, but they don't want to hear it in the cab. The 2 of these roll together. Not much you can really do about it.
After reading that catless could potentially be bad I'll definitely start out with just stock cats on and if it's not loud enough I'll work my way up to high flows. If it gets too loud I'll just tune it out with my earth shattering base .

Thanks for all the opinions though, I'm just so anxious to put the damn system on but probably wont get too it till the end of this month or early next month then I'll be happier than a kid in a candy store. I"ll keep ya posted till then.

PS, love your air chime vids, that horn is bad A$$

Last edited by zmrowe93; 04-05-2012 at 04:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Good Loud mid tone with little drone?