Need some opinions on a low budget, decent sounding exhuast

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012 | 12:47 AM
|
Need some opinions on a low budget, decent sounding exhuast

alright i have a 1999 f150 lariat with a 5.4 and have been researching exhuasts for some time now and have come to the conclusion that my rust bucket has no need for a high price exhaust system, although i used to have an old farm truck that was an f250 5 speed with the same motor, a 5.4, it sounded nice with the muffler saw zawed right off

anyway to my main point, i dreamed up an idea to peice together a custom decent priced system for my now stock 150 and am looking for advice/opinions.

from the stock cats back, a Y pipe the goes to 2 side by side thrush glass packs ( might have to off set the pipes an inch or so so they will fit side by side) off those 2 45's, and coming off the 45's 2, 2.5 to 3" adaptors, with 3'' mitre cut tips sticking out in front of the rear wheels flush with the box.

main concerns; will the 3'' tips make much of a sound differnce? will the 2 glass packs tone the sound down much more than a single? any advice or opinions welcome

Old 04-04-2012 | 11:43 AM
First off welcome to the forum! Tips will make the sound echo and look much better than the stock pipe. As far as the two mufflers...i see no reason why two would make it quieter but im not an expert on dual exhaust. I know that with true duals it really doesnt matter, they're louder anyway. However, if having two mufflers being too quiet is a concern, why not just run a pipe straight back to the muffler, Y pipe after the muffler, and exit in front of the tires that way? just a thought for you to consider.

Old 04-04-2012 | 12:31 PM
Glasspacks have a raspy sound that most people don't like. The best sounding Glasspacks are extremely long bodied that gives them a deep rumble with minimum raspiness. Conventional performance mufflers have the best sound IMO, especially on a 5.4

Quick Reply: Need some opinions on a low budget, decent sounding exhuast