My next move

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012 | 10:28 PM
Old 04-18-2012 | 10:41 PM
|
You painted a good picture, thank you. I was a little nervous when you said it was one of the loudest, but that makes it all sound reasonable. I really like my idle tone, and fortunately for me I have a neighbor who also owns an F150, he has a Flowmaster 40 series and on the other side, one of the girls that rents the house has a lifted Cherokee with a Flowmaster knockoff from Midas. Both idle real loud, but honestly don't sound too bad. Once they step on the gas it all falls apart and sounds like garbage. I told my neighbor with the f150 that my girlfriend has flowmasters. He looked at me, looked at her Edge and said "really?" I said "yeah, they're made by Kotex" he actually took it pretty well. I'm tempted to just go ahead and order the cats as well, they're $52 from amazon and I can have them by Friday for only $20. I am about equally tempted to wait on those until I get the new muffler broke in a little. I appreciate your help, can't wait to hear you new setup!

Old 04-18-2012 | 10:49 PM
|
[QUOTE=TruckGuy24;4823831]Vids from 08fx4 btw. Same setup as me

I've watched those before, I thought for some reason he had a dual magnapack set up. That is a great sounding truck! I love how deep the tone is, and that's exactly what I would like to sound like! I'm gonna order those cats!

Old 04-18-2012 | 11:01 PM
Not a problem Just want to make sure I described it as well as I could without babbling

Anytime you add anything than the typical flowmaster or 18" maggie kit, you're going to put yourself in a different zone imo. A lot of us on here don't have typical exhausts. Half the people I know don't even know what I high flow cat is LOL. I also think there's a difference between someone who likes LOUD and someone who likes a well toned exhuast with good volume. I like the latter and I think you will know what I am talking about when you do it. I hear a lot of trucks esp 80s Chevys and mid 90s Dodge's that are loud but sound like crap. Sound quality is a big factor to me and I am glad I have had this set-up. Magnaflow makes some very nice sounding products and I am excited to hear the Borla made ROR on my truck. It will be neat to compare the two. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate. And btw, I'd recommend the 94136 version of the converters. Same thing, but it was the bungs already. I'm switching to those.

@ the Kotex

Old 04-18-2012 | 11:02 PM
[QUOTE=Remingtonry;4823846]
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Vids from 08fx4 btw. Same setup as me

I've watched those before, I thought for some reason he had a dual magnapack set up. That is a great sounding truck! I love how deep the tone is, and that's exactly what I would like to sound like! I'm gonna order those cats!
He had this first, then went to the 14" magnapack. Then to an Xr1, then to a new truck and then another

His trucks always have sounded great

Old 04-18-2012 | 11:28 PM
|
Not a problem Just want to make sure I described it as well as I could without babbling

Anytime you add anything than the typical flowmaster or 18" maggie kit, you're going to put yourself in a different zone imo. A lot of us on here don't have typical exhausts. Half the people I know don't even know what I high flow cat is LOL. I also think there's a difference between someone who likes LOUD and someone who likes a well toned exhuast with good volume. I like the latter and I think you will know what I am talking about when you do it. I hear a lot of trucks esp 80s Chevys and mid 90s Dodge's that are loud but sound like crap. Sound quality is a big factor to me and I am glad I have had this set-up. Magnaflow makes some very nice sounding products and I am excited to hear the Borla made ROR on my truck. It will be neat to compare the two. If you have any other questions don't hesitate. And btw, I'd recommend the 94136 version of the converters. Same thing, but it was the bungs already. I'm switching to those.

@ the Kotex

Tone is everything! I had that Dodge you describe next to me at a stoplight the other day, unfortunately my truck inspired him to rev it the whole time we were stopped. I rolled up my window and wouldn't you know it, that class act flipped me off!

I am surrounded in life by people who don't understand all the tinkering with my truck, especially the costs. My girlfriend at least quietly puts up with it. I know I don't have to explain it to you or anyone else on here for that matter, it's why we're all here right!

I ordered the cats by the time I saw this post. I am confident my exhaust guy can properly add the bung, after you first posted the PN, I talked to him and that's what he's running on his 06. If for some reason it's an issue, I'll have to hold off and exchange them. If I'm not mistaken, the bungs should be welded into the top third of the pipe right?

Old 04-19-2012 | 12:56 AM
one perspective you need brother is what YOU like. Its your truck, do what makes you happiest. Sounds like a nice set up though.

Old 04-19-2012 | 06:28 AM
Originally Posted by Remingtonry
Tone is everything! I had that Dodge you describe next to me at a stoplight the other day, unfortunately my truck inspired him to rev it the whole time we were stopped. I rolled up my window and wouldn't you know it, that class act flipped me off!

I am surrounded in life by people who don't understand all the tinkering with my truck, especially the costs. My girlfriend at least quietly puts up with it. I know I don't have to explain it to you or anyone else on here for that matter, it's why we're all here right!

I ordered the cats by the time I saw this post. I am confident my exhaust guy can properly add the bung, after you first posted the PN, I talked to him and that's what he's running on his 06. If for some reason it's an issue, I'll have to hold off and exchange them. If I'm not mistaken, the bungs should be welded into the top third of the pipe right?
That guys sounds like a teal winner!

As for the cats, the rear O2 sensors need to go as close to the stock location as possible.

Old 04-19-2012 | 06:57 AM
|
Originally Posted by DC3843
one perspective you need brother is what YOU like. Its your truck, do what makes you happiest. Sounds like a nice set up though.
And that's what we are doin. I know what I want as far as sound. I don't have the experience to know how to get it. I missed on my first try, hence this thread. I value the knowledge an opinions or I wouldn't ask. I believe you are correct, this should sound good!

Old 04-19-2012 | 09:51 AM
Exactly, all high flow cats due is louden the volume. The tone stays nearly the same but it gets deeper and much louder

Old 04-19-2012 | 11:11 AM
|
Exactly, all high flow cats due is louden the volume. The tone stays nearly the same but it gets deeper and much louder
Sounds like a plan! Gettin pumped to get this done!

Old 04-19-2012 | 11:28 AM
Old 04-19-2012 | 08:18 PM
|
4" tips arrived today, held them up next to the 3.5's and visually make quite a difference, really glad I went that route. Cats still appear to be on schedule for tomorrow. 8am Saturday cannot come fast enough!!!

Old 04-19-2012 | 08:35 PM
Anticipation sucks Hahaha

Old 04-19-2012 | 08:49 PM
|
Anticipation sucks Hahaha
Painful at best! at least I can hop on here and see others gettin stuff done.

Quick Reply: My next move