Old 04-08-2012 | 10:16 PM
|
My next move

Current setup:
Replaced stock y with magnaflow
3" mid pipe
18" magnaflow Sido
Side exits aft rear tire 3.5" tips

So when I originally ordered my Magnaflow muffler, I thought I was getting the 14" oval but instead received th 18". Between thinking 4in wouldn't make much difference and me wanting to get my exhaust on, I went with the 18". I like the way it sounds, but I want more. It so happens that my brother is wanting a new muffler for his truck. Would I do well to give him my current muffler and buy a 14"? I have spent two days reading posts related to both sizes, and see "too loud" and "too quiet" for the 18". I don't recall anyone really saying the 14" was too quiet? I have also considered a 14" round with a y behind it to make it a Sido, but think that may be a little too much for the kids. I work near an intersection and hear trucks all day long that I think sound better than mine. My perception of my tone is all from in cab, perhaps I should have someone drive it by me a few time so I may get a better understanding of how it really sounds. I had also planned on hi flow cats, perhaps I should go that route before switching mufflers? I know someone will tell me to man up and go dials with x pipe. As much as I would love to, I'm gonna stick with the Sido setup. Can some of you help put this into perspective for me?
Always appreciated,

Ryan

Old 04-09-2012 | 10:56 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013
Truck of the Month
Hey, Ryan.

Sometimes (depending on the muffler involved, tips, pipes, etc) a si/do setup CAN be louder than true duals. I'm convinced my si/do Fartmaster setup was a little louder than my true dual Magnapack setup.

In your case (what with the yungins and all), I'd suggest the 14" oval Maggie si/do. Basically, just a muffler swap. You'll still get that same nice, deep rumble you're enjoying now, and the volume will increase some.

If you're after more than just a little volume, go with the Magnapack and a Maggie Y behind it.

Can I ask, how many miles do you have on your current exhaust? Just bear in mind that the volume will increase some in your current exhaust once everything breaks in after 2-3K miles or so.

And you really should get someone to do some drive-aways and drive-bys with your current setup before you make a change. Sometimes having that perspective is all you need to realize you're sounding better/louder than you thought.

I hope this helps.

P.S. Hi flows will increase your volume and, IMHO, enhance the tone of your exhaust as well. If too much volume is a concern and you're still after a little more volume, I'd switch either the cats OR the muffler and see what that does for ya.

Old 04-09-2012 | 02:29 PM
|
Dewser, I'm glad ya chimed in here, maybe I should have just PM'd ya. I am Just over 2000 mi today. I have noticed an increase in volume since having it installed. This is probably the begining of an addiction for me. I was in panic mode a little last night when I wrote that. I read all those posts and really wasn't any more sure of the next direction than I was before. Overall, I want more depth than I do volume. There are certain times when I feel like it's a little high pitched. Idle sounds great, and I know a Maggie doesn't have a real loud Idle, but once I hit the gas it sounds to me like that throaty goodnes goes away. I'm thinking that my engine noise is tainting things for me. When I start the truck and leave for work in the morning and the temp is around 50, it sounds perfect to me. Again, my perception is all in cab, so I think the drive bys will be a good first step. I appreciate the response and advice man, we will start with drive bys and see where it goes from there.

Old 04-09-2012 | 02:36 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013
Truck of the Month
Sounds like a good plan. Let me know what you think once you hear it from the outside.

Make sure you do some varied RPM ranges. Some 'normal' take-offs/drive-bys, a few more spirited ones, and, where it's safe, some good ol' fashioned hammer-downs!

Let us know, man.

P.S. Yeah, cold starts are

Old 04-11-2012 | 09:49 PM
|
Well, we did some drive bys today, and it did sound better than I thought. My girlfriend did the driving, and although she didn't quite drive it like I would have, she did pretty good. Normal take off was pretty good until after 3rd gear, a fast acceleration was about the same. A pass at 55 in OD was just slightly better than stock in my opinion. She did another pass at 55 and then punched it in front of me, again, sounded pretty good but not quite what I want to hear. I went ahead and ordered the 5x8x14 Maggie. I was thinking I'd get it welded in on tues, but turns out I have sun off instead and work all week. The following week I'm on vaca to chase some turkeys, hopefully I find some time to get it installed. I was also thinking of ordering a set of 4" tips to replace my 3.5" What role if any will tips play in sound/ tone? I think 4" would fit the look of the truck better, the 3.5" seems a little small to me.

Old 04-12-2012 | 09:55 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013
Truck of the Month
4" tips may make the exhaust a little deeper sounding. You could always just wait and see how the 3.5" tips sound with the new muffler and go from there. If its good like that, you'll save the money.

Keep us posted!

Old 04-13-2012 | 09:44 AM
|
I went back through some of the threads and decided to go ahead and order the tips as well. Deeper is better IMO, also since I'm handing the muffler over to my brother, he's gonna need tips as well. I am going to hold off on the high flow cats until I get the new muffler on, but I spent a lot of time on YouTube last night and really liked what I heard with the high flows. I have one of the 05's with only 2 cats so should be a quick easy swap if I go that route.

Old 04-13-2012 | 12:03 PM
I have Maggie 14" 12198 with 94106s and it's one of the loudest f150s I've heard in person. Its a great sounding combo and is nicely toned.

Old 04-13-2012 | 04:05 PM
|
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
I have Maggie 14" 12198 with 94106s and it's one of the loudest f150s I've heard in person. Its a great sounding combo and is nicely toned.
Thanks, I wasn't quite sure on the pn for the cats. I see that one a lot, but the Magnaflow site had different recommendations, perhaps it
thought I had 4? If I'm not careful with my volume, I will be taking the Edge a.k.a "the mommy mobile" anywhere I go with the kids! I'd like to hear what you've got, do you have a vid?
Thanks again!

Last edited by Remingtonry; 04-18-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-18-2012 | 08:59 PM
|
The new 14" 12198 arrived today, tips should be here tomorrow. Should all be installed Saturday morning, given the new baby does not arrive Friday night or Saturday morning! I'll take a future f150 owner over a new exhaust though!

Old 04-18-2012 | 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Remingtonry
Thanks, I wasn't quite sure on the pn for the cats. I see that one a lot, but the Magnaflow site had different recommendations, perhaps it
thought I had 4? If I'm not careful with my volume, I will be taking the Edge a.k.a "the mommy mobile" anywhere I go with the kids! I'd likehere wear what you've got, do you have a vid?
Thanks again!
Unfortunately I do not, I want with my new setup in a few months though

Old 04-18-2012 | 09:35 PM
|
Unfortunately I do not, I want with my new setup in a few months though
You are replacing or adding to it? You aren't going Flowmaster on us are you!

How is it in cab?

Last edited by Remingtonry; 04-18-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-18-2012 | 09:45 PM
Nope Roush side exit

I'm one of the ones who preaches straight throughs SO many people have gained exhuast knowledge, I barely post in here anymore. It's so repetitive I don't even bother lol

Old 04-18-2012 | 10:05 PM
|
Nope Roush side exit

I'm one of the ones who preaches straight throughs SO many people have gained exhuast knowledge, I barely post in here anymore. It's so repetitive I don't even bother lol
Haha, I'm still working on the knowledge thing...it's an ongoing battle! I think I've gotten better at using the search, I gauge this by the PM's I receive from MGD after I post a question!!!( kidding, MGD has been most helpful)

Never heard the Roush in person, but the videos I have seen/heard sound awesome!

I edited that last one, must have been while you were replying...what is the sound of your Maggie set up like in cab? Can you have a conversation, what do you think as far as young children etc?

Old 04-18-2012 | 10:22 PM
Ahh no worries, forums are just for that! MGD is a character and a half lol

My set-up is tolerable, nothing obnoxious. Roll down the windows and it's very audible. I like loud performance exhuasts so I find it on the middle range, but to most other people in my truck they think I am nuts for wanting it louder The straight through mufflers are interesting and this is why I want the Roush (wanted one for 3 years lol). Take a flowmaster or any chambered muffler. They have a louder idle but as you accelerate it fades off. My magnaflow is very loud on startup, sometimes where I get nervous that the ROR with highflows will be too loud and the neighbors won't like it But it calms down to a nice rumble that is audible and you know there's clearly a fairly loud exhaust on the truck. If I get on it, It gets very loud. It will turn heads and sometimes it is fun to do that If I want it quite, it is. Cruise it is definitely audible and you know it's there. Just not droney. The highway it is always heard just not droney like a flowmaster. I think this is close to the loudest I would go if I had young kids. It might be a bit loud, but your foot controls that. But like I said, open it up, easily one of the loudest trucks I have heard without a ton of mods like headers. The Roush muffler is 10" and it is louder throughout the rpm band and idle so I think it is more of what I want. I can't complain, I've had 12198 since June 2009. 40k miles on that muffler so far and 3 years old. High flows have been on since April 1, 2010

Last edited by TruckGuy24; 04-18-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Quick Reply: My next move