Banks Ram Air Issue? Vibration/Drone

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012 | 01:36 AM
|
Banks Ram Air Issue? Vibration/Drone

I have a 2007 F-150 FX4 5.4L V-8. I installed a Banks Monster Exhaust on it about 1 1/2 ago now and love it. I decided to go ahead and finish the set with a RamAir Intake and Automind programmer. I installed the intake about 3 days prior to getting the programmer. Between that time I noticed a decent unnatural sound/vibration going up hill or at about 1800 rpm, which was not there prior to installation. I thought maybe it was just running lean and needed the tuner. But even after setting it to the Sport or Economy setting with the tuner, it still seems to run a little ruff on occasion. I did a 400 mile day trip drive recently, and on the way back it was really bad. Has anyone else ran into this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-30-2012 | 06:34 AM
Originally Posted by JHause22
I have a 2007 F-150 FX4 5.4L V-8. I installed a Banks Monster Exhaust on it about 1 1/2 ago now and love it. I decided to go ahead and finish the set with a RamAir Intake and Automind programmer. I installed the intake about 3 days prior to getting the programmer. Between that time I noticed a decent unnatural sound/vibration going up hill or at about 1800 rpm, which was not there prior to installation. I thought maybe it was just running lean and needed the tuner. But even after setting it to the Sport or Economy setting with the tuner, it still seems to run a little ruff on occasion. I did a 400 mile day trip drive recently, and on the way back it was really bad. Has anyone else ran into this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You've just discovered why the Ford OEM intake looks the way it does.

It not only does not DRONE, it performs about the same as the Banks POS. And does not cost anything, since it came with the truck.

My advice? Return the Banks intake - and that useless excuse for a programmer. Do the Gotts mod, and buy a proper custom tuned flash programmer: www.vmptuning.com.

Yer intake will be quiet, and you'll actually net some safe, significant perf gains.

And next time, do the reseach - check the pool depth before you dive in

Quick Reply: Banks Ram Air Issue? Vibration/Drone