Ready For Something New....

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sweet_n_low150
Lol, that's awesome dude. Sounds like you're happy. Ehh, I guess since I drive a TRUCK, I want it to sound like a truck, not a car. Its annoying trust me. Way to high-pitched for my liking. I hate it.
Yeah it's not bad but I am exactly like you right now, well probably like most guys, we always want to keep changing crap around. If I do any other changes it would definitely be switching to 08FX4's set up or run true duals, H pipe, to 4x14 magnapacks and keep my tailpipes and tips to save some $$$

Old 05-10-2012, 01:32 AM
Keeping in mind I have a 2010 F150, out of the 3 exhaust systems I have run, I would rate them like this (hope it helps a little):

Corsa
Most exotic.
Quietest of the 3 at cruise.
Loudest WOT of the 3.
NO drone.

Magnapack
Very deep.
Sometimes hollow sounding.
Loudest of the 3 at cruise (not drone loud).
Little to no drone at cruise.
Sounds good at all ranges, but tapers off at higher speeds.
Loudest idle.

XR-1
Mix of exotic and deep.
Full bodied sound.
Sound quality stays throughout the rpm range.
Worst drone at 60-65 mph out of all 3.
2nd quietest at freeway speeds (above 65 mph) next to the Corsa.

Of all three mufflers, I would have a tough time ranking them since each does something the other doesn't (good and bad).

I like some sound when I drive, so the Corsa put me off a little since it basically sounds stock at cruise. However, at acceleration and at WOT, the Corsa is just plain badass. The XR-1 was very bassy at 60-65 but became more of a "humm" above that. The Magnapack drones slightly but it is not as bad as the XR-1 in the 60-65 range. Above that, in the 65-80 range, the Magnapack has a cool thumping sound like a muscle car that is louder than the XR-1 in the same range, but a different sound.

The Corsa sounds like a Masseratti. The XR-1 sounds like a howling something or other (lol). The Magnapack sounds like a 50 cal slow firing from a mile away. lol

Hope this helps a little!

Old 05-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Arklight, I REALLLY appreciate that. From you having experience with these 3, I know you know how they perform on these trucks. I love how when you start a truck up with Corsas, THEY ALL sound like a LS7 Big Block Vette or something of sort. Just plain badass...I love the exoticness yet deepness of my Packs, just not the high pitch sound they make at certain speeds and when revving, but Im starting to think that comes with the territory of this 4.6! Only thing I DON'T like with these Packs is at high speeds, I hear more of the motor than the sound of the muffler like you said. If I were to purchase Corsa, it would have to be the EXTREMES. I love their "No Drone" technology, although we all love some drone while cruising. So you honestly hear NOTHING in the cab while cruising? Yet outside, a deep rumble? I would also like to hear my setup with the new BORLA ATAKs, but idk if you have to order the whole system instead of just a muffler alone.

You said the XR1s are bassy, but become a humm? Like a deep hum or high pitched humm? Does the Corsas keep a aggressive sound at high speeds?

Old 05-10-2012, 11:46 PM
Arklight, I REALLLY appreciate that. From you having experience with these 3, I know you know how they perform on these trucks. I love how when you start a truck up with Corsas, THEY ALL sound like a LS7 Big Block Vette or something of sort. Just plain badass...I love the exoticness yet deepness of my Packs, just not the high pitch sound they make at certain speeds and when revving, but Im starting to think that comes with the territory of this 4.6! Only thing I DON'T like with these Packs is at high speeds, I hear more of the motor than the sound of the muffler like you said. If I were to purchase Corsa, it would have to be the EXTREMES. I love their "No Drone" technology, although we all love some drone while cruising. So you honestly hear NOTHING in the cab while cruising? Yet outside, a deep rumble? I would also like to hear my setup with the new BORLA ATAKs, but idk if you have to order the whole system instead of just a muffler alone.

You said the XR1s are bassy, but become a humm? Like a deep hum or high pitched humm? Does the Corsas keep a aggressive sound at high speeds?
The Corsa is interesting. I had the Corsa DB Performance kit (SI/DO) mounted on my truck. On acceleration it is downright very aggressive, IMO, much more so than the Magnapack or XR-1. Once you get above about 40 mph, it was almost completely silent in the cab. Around 60-80 mph you hear a purr but it isn't loud by any means. It's strange. You don't hear anything really in the cab, but when you drive by a wall or another car a deep growl bounces back at you. It almost seems to defy common sense. lol Unfortunately, with regards to Corsa, the only mufflers that are available seperately seem to be the ones for diesel trucks. My muffler came from the kit I mentioned above. You might be able to find one on EBay though.

The XR-1 never really got high-pitched at all. I mentioned in a few other threads that I could go through a parking lot at about 1300-1500 rpms and set off car alarms. Ha It has a deep bassy tone.

Here are a few of my videos from Youtube (Sorry for the camera quality...vids were taken with a camera phone)...I also have some Magnapack vids on my Youtube page as well if you want to compare your sound to mine (My Youtube name is MCP2002):

Corsa (SI/SO):

Warm Start
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjCbmqMputQ

Normal Acceleration
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8SzzgfCNnM

Freeway Driving
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXsr85ZhCRs

Slow Drive-By
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irpd0UeH47E

Borla XR-1:

Video #1 - Hot start and drive away.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzEoe-lzBk8

Video #2 - Drive-by (around 1100-1300 rpms). Immediately following the hot start video. Excuse the squeaking..it does that when I turn at slow speeds once in a while. lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghl-V010ftg

Video #3 - Freeway Cruise with Downshift
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVfVTd3PSkU

Video #4 - Acceleration and slow cruise (40mph - 45mph)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8tw2v9QbeU

Video #5 - Interior Cruise (around 60-65 mph)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJdWyYR7umg

Last edited by Arklight; 05-10-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:10 AM
The sound on the startup on those Corsa's is to die for. That gurgly sound is what I love! Man...and from the video, it seems to me that they are deep at cruise also.

& those XR-1s! Man, no high pitchness at all as you mentioned, they are very deep & bassy.

O boy, this is gonna be a hard one. At high speeds, do both Corsas and Borlas hold a aggressive sound?

Old 05-11-2012, 02:54 AM
The sound on the startup on those Corsa's is to die for. That gurgly sound is what I love! Man...and from the video, it seems to me that they are deep at cruise also.

& those XR-1s! Man, no high pitchness at all as you mentioned, they are very deep & bassy.

O boy, this is gonna be a hard one. At high speeds, do both Corsas and Borlas hold a aggressive sound?
Yeah, the Corsa sounds like a Diesel at startup, but does calm down. It is tough to tell which is more aggressive at high speeds since both are quiet from inside and the Corsa system I had was SI/SO out the right side whereas the Borla was SI/DO (so I could hear the Borla on my side a lot better). The Borla is probably deeper at high speeds since the Corsa is a lot more of an "exotic" sound. You can hear the XR-1 from inside better since it is a deeper tone. One thing I did notice though, and perhaps it is because the Corsa has a higher pitched sound, is the Corsa seems to project sound outside better than the deeper systems. The case for the Corsa muffler in those vids is over 20" long and it is prob close to 10" or so inches wide (it has been a while since I measured) so it certainly isn't small.

Stepping on the XR-1 produces a loud and deep howl like sound while stepping on the Corsa produces a loud throaty race car type sound. The Corsa is more throaty sounding, IMO, than the XR-1 or Magnapack. Also, IMO, the XR-1 does sound quite similar to a Magnapack in some ways but maybe a little quieter than the Maggie at higher speeds.

It really comes down to what you are looking for. If you don't want any drone, the Corsa, IMO, is probably the best system around. It has a very refined and angry type sound. It sounds very clean, and very pissed off. Go here and click the "Ford" *Play* button:

http://www.dbexhaust.com/sounds.aspx

If you are looking for a very deep sounding exhaust that has a lot more bass, than the XR-1 is the better choice.

Here is a real good video of a Corsa Sport (about the exact same as the DB Performance Corsa outside of the grade of stainless). Mine sounds almost exactly like that (always tough to tell 100% since it's a video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hEt72EGCug

Old 05-11-2012, 11:52 AM
I would totally get a king ranch if I had the chance haha.

I know what you mean about the 4.6 engines not being able to break that high pitch barrier...
im in the same boat as you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Zfpd66360&hd=1

Old 05-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Arklight those Corsas sound good. Seems like at acceleration FROM THE VIDEO, they seem to mellow out. IDK, again, that's from the video. If I do switch, I may try out those Borla XR-1s. Its funny cuz driving my truck today to go get breakfast, she sounded wonderful. No high pitchness or "WOLF-LIKE" howling calls lol. We shall see though.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:13 AM
hardrock, nice little setup you have there. Sounds like my old setup when I use to ran case mufflers. My truck only makes the high pitch sounds at certain rpms. I'm just talking crap. I can't get rid of my baby. And I refuse to put $$ down on a King Ranch, when I can just do a Coyote 5.0 or 6.2 swap & call it a day

Old 05-13-2012, 11:34 PM
hardrock, nice little setup you have there. Sounds like my old setup when I use to ran case mufflers. My truck only makes the high pitch sounds at certain rpms. I'm just talking crap. I can't get rid of my baby. And I refuse to put $$ down on a King Ranch, when I can just do a Coyote 5.0 or 6.2 swap & call it a day
thanks, for $350 for everything, i was pleased. it sounds a little bit better now that its lifted because there is a little more load.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:40 PM
Ehhh, idk guys. It seems like these Maggie-Packs have a mind of their own & KNOW that I wanna change em' out for something else and their trying to prove themselves to me or something (Sounds Pretty Dumb & Insane huh?) They've just been sounding so damn good, deep & strong lately. I still would like to try something out maybe later down the road or something.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Yeah, I have experienced the same thing with my Magnapack. Recently, it has been real nice, just what I was looking for. Of course, I will still try different things because I lack common sense.

With regards to the XR-1, the best way to describe it is that it sort of sounds like a Magnapack afer it (the Magnapack) has warmerd up. It has a very deep sound to it with a howl included. The sound a Magnapack gets after it is hot is pretty much the "type" of sound an XR-1 gives off, only the XR-1 gives it off all the time. It is deeper sounding than a Magnapack, IMO. It's like an XR-1 has no real warm up period. It "maintains" that deep roar-howl the entire time. At cruise it is more of a deep humm sound and not tinny at all. At cruise around 80 mph, the XR-1 is pretty quiet inside, quieter than a Magnapack, IMO.

Quick Reply: Ready For Something New....