Ready For Something New....

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012 | 12:22 AM
|
Ready For Something New....

As the thread title says, it's THAT time of year for me again. I've only changed my setup 5 times already , but that's the name of the game.

I run a True Dualed (2.5"), Maggie HiFlo Cats, Maggie X-Pipe, 2-Magnapacks (4 X 14), & Harley exit with 3" tips behind the tire setup. Don't get me wrong, it sounds good on the lil 4.6 2V and I get compliments every single day about it, but as being the owner of the truck & after 7 months of having this setup, I'm kinda getting tired of it and wanting something else, I'm gonna say a different sound, something way more aggressive & consistent throughout the RPM range.

Of course any chambered muffler is OUT of the question for me, as I'm not a fan of all of those. Going to truck meets on some Friday nights, there are guys out there who bring out their modded 5.4 & 4.6 trucks and to me, their trucks actually sound like TRUCKS, not like a damn Mustang as mines does.

I know their literally the same engines, but people tell me all the time "Hey, I heard your truck the other day, and I honestly thought it was a Mustang"! I hate that! In my younger days, I use to to yearn for my truck to have the Mustang sound. Now, its old. The high pitch, almost like a animal call has played out now to the point where I hate driving it in certain RPMS ranges, because that deepness is just not there and especially at speeds at 70 mph or more, it really loses all the sound.

SO, question to you guys is, should I take off the True Dual and go si/do with a Y-Pipe? I like extra SOUND True Duals produce though. Secondly, I read the H-Pipe vs. X-Pipe threads all the time. Maybe swap it for a H? Maybe go with No Cats [I have a tuner to delete any thrown codes]. & of course big question, WHICH MUFFLER would produce a deeper, more aggressive sound per-say than the Mustang Sounding truck I have now? Borlas, Corsa, Dynomax, etc. etc! I'm not worried about drone. That comes with the territory of having an aftermarket setup. O, and btw, I did take the silencer out of the OEM intake which really didn't change anything SOUND WISE to the truck to me, other than the sucking air noise! I haven't done the GOTTS mod yet, but thats on the way soon as a good a around to it. I've YouTube'd clips already and what have you, but as we all know YouTube videos does our Ford Trucks 0 justice, especially since we have such smooth running motor, so I'm asking for feedback from the guys who have the knowledge and experience [WHICH there are plenty of you] who have done a lot of setup changes and their recommendations.

Thanks Bros!

Last edited by sweet_n_low150; 05-09-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-09-2012 | 02:10 AM
Hahaha, you sound like me. I can't stop screwing with the exhaust. LOL

Maybe try something different like a SI/DO Stinger?

I am thinking about a SI/DO Bullet or Stinger for myself. I don't think I've heard (or seen any videos for that matter) of an F-150 with a SI/DO Stinger system.

On the other hand, I may pull my Magnapack out and try my Corsa muffler in a SI/DO configuration. I really like the Magnapack, but it seems almost "standard" on here. haha

Old 05-09-2012 | 03:28 AM
I imagine the Corsa with a y-pipe after would be plenty loud! I'm still very happy with the tone and volume of my single Corsa setup.

Old 05-09-2012 | 04:29 AM
Originally Posted by Ray21
I imagine the Corsa with a y-pipe after would be plenty loud! I'm still very happy with the tone and volume of my single Corsa setup.
You've had your Corsa for a while, did you find it got louder over time?

Old 05-09-2012 | 11:11 AM
Ive had a chance to hear borlas on an 01. The guy said he had dynatech lts, maggie highflows, an x pipe, and ran mandrel bent 2.25 with 3.5 in tips.

I think he said proxs mufflers. Sounded refined and deep all the way thru the rom without any rasp or crackle. Itll be the setup ill do i think.

Old 05-09-2012 | 11:12 AM
Damn iphone. Ment rpm range.

Old 05-09-2012 | 12:30 PM
|
Originally Posted by Arklight
Hahaha, you sound like me. I can't stop screwing with the exhaust. LOL

Maybe try something different like a SI/DO Stinger?

I am thinking about a SI/DO Bullet or Stinger for myself. I don't think I've heard (or seen any videos for that matter) of an F-150 with a SI/DO Stinger system.

On the other hand, I may pull my Magnapack out and try my Corsa muffler in a SI/DO configuration. I really like the Magnapack, but it seems almost "standard" on here. haha
Yea man, its a NEVER ending journey lol. On my 06 F150 truck back in 2009, I had a SI/DO setup. It was ehh, ok, again another 4.6 2V (I've been stuck with the same motor for 4 damn years now lol). I just like the loudness and more "Sound" DI/DO gives. O but how do I love 08FX4's Si/So w/MaggiePacks setup he has. Truck sounds so dag-gum good! Ive actually heard Stingers on a F150 on YouTube. To me, they sound like regular Borlas. Oo but on 2V & 4V Stangs, they sound heavenly. Idk, I was kinda considering those Borlas. Lol o yea, Magnapacks is what every F150 owner has leaned to seems like. Im just OVER the Mustang sounding truck. Its annoying. Especially doing revs, omg, if you weren't looking, you would definitely think its a Mustang.

If I cant get the sound I want from this, I may pull the plug and trade my 05 SuperCab in for a 08 Limited/King Ranch or Harley. I have 1 more year till she's paid off though :/ Not saying Im trading it in to get just a sound, but I think its time. Ive always wanted a roomy 4 Door and the 05 just hit 100,000 miles on the dash yesterday. YIKEESS LOL. But, Im still a big fan of these body style Ferrds. Only thing is, the NNBS engines and technology and total new facelift inside is to die for, Im just not sold or the new exterior styling persay hasn't grown on me. But god, I would love any of those trucks in the 08 year I just mentioned with a 5.0 Coyote under the hood DECISIONS, DECISIONS.

Old 05-09-2012 | 12:31 PM
|
Originally Posted by Duffy1992
Damn iphone. Ment rpm range.
Lol thats what I figured you meant.

Old 05-09-2012 | 05:46 PM
Buy this truck, with this engine, then you'll get the sound you're looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubcvr...LAigKILp88kxsQ

Old 05-09-2012 | 06:24 PM
|
Na I'll pass.
I have a 92' Flareside that Im building as a TRACK only truck for that sound! Damn, talk about some REDNECKS though ^^ lol.

Old 05-09-2012 | 06:53 PM
Yea I know, but it's a good mud truck and looks as good as a show truck. 428 is very good engine, same family that mine is from.

Old 05-09-2012 | 10:00 PM
Yeah when I think of ultimate Ford truck sound I think of 08FX4's truck...that is just music to my ears, i'd like to switch to that set up if my set up wasn't so new. He did use 3" intermediate piping which is not recommended according to everyone on here so idk. But how could you complain about having a Mustang sound? I'd give anything to have my 5.4 sound like a stang. But my setup is a simple SIDO stock manifolds, stock cats, stock Y pipe to a Prosound (Flow 40 knock off) and 2.5" tailpipes to 3x18" tips out the back. Sounds awesome and it is loud when you want it to be and quiet when you don't (on the highway). When I step on it, my heart starts pounding because it's so loud!

Old 05-09-2012 | 10:04 PM
"Something way more aggressive"?

Throw some long tubes on there, that will wake her up.

Old 05-09-2012 | 11:03 PM
|
Originally Posted by dave06ford
Yeah when I think of ultimate Ford truck sound I think of 08FX4's truck...that is just music to my ears, i'd like to switch to that set up if my set up wasn't so new. He did use 3" intermediate piping which is not recommended according to everyone on here so idk. But how could you complain about having a Mustang sound? I'd give anything to have my 5.4 sound like a stang. But my setup is a simple SIDO stock manifolds, stock cats, stock Y pipe to a Prosound (Flow 40 knock off) and 2.5" tailpipes to 3x18" tips out the back. Sounds awesome and it is loud when you want it to be and quiet when you don't (on the highway). When I step on it, my heart starts pounding because it's so loud!
Lol, that's awesome dude. Sounds like you're happy. Ehh, I guess since I drive a TRUCK, I want it to sound like a truck, not a car. Its annoying trust me. Way to high-pitched for my liking. I hate it.

Old 05-09-2012 | 11:08 PM
|
Originally Posted by avfrog
"Something way more aggressive"?

Throw some long tubes on there, that will wake her up.
Hhmm, I bet it would.
The only 4.6 2V LT's I've found for these trucks are offered by StainlessWorks, which are over $1,300 and IMO, definitely not worth it for this engine IMO! Its probably time for something new .

Last edited by sweet_n_low150; 05-10-2012 at 08:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Ready For Something New....