Do K&N CAI really work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still recommend it. I noticed more power off the bat and makes that big v8 sound beast.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dave06ford
I still recommend it. I noticed more power off the bat and makes that big v8 sound beast.
placebo effect - nothing more.

in addition you had better be running a MAF TF - corrected tune or yer gonna be running a Lean condition

do some research - or not - yer truck, yer money

btw - What 'big V8'? It's a measly 330 c.I.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not too sure how the flow got back to truck owners thinking they know better than tuners, that do this for a for a living.
Not the 1st time on this site, and I am sure not the last, happens ever few years.

Yes an Intake will help, but you cannot just swap it out like the 2003 and older MYs.

You will need a programmer to adjust for the intake change on 2004 + MY trucks.

You might notice what Bluejay posted about, with the drone. Some people do not like it, others do not care.

If you are only looking at an intake and nothing else ( aside from the program to correct for the intake change ), the amount of money spent for the minor gain in performance might not be worth it to you.
This is looking at it from the point of view of an 87 octane tune with only an intake change. Also could get a bump in the transmission shift points as well.

If you want a real opinion on if it would be worth it, talk to some of the tuners from this site ( people that do a lot of testing and have dyno sheets to prove what they say, not just the herd mentality of late ) and see if spending the money will get you where you want to be.

Any real gains will be with an intake, exhaust and a premium fuel tune, which will require purchase of high octane fuel.

This could be more than what you want to spend ( both in one time costs of the products and long term costs of fuel ), but that is something you will need to figure out for yourself.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
op -read this:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/4739726-post9.html

similarly - no gains, and possibly a torque loss, from a simple catback

99% of yer tangible gains come from a proper custom tune

I got tired of cleaning the crap out of my intake tube with that POS k&n filter.

Last edited by MGDfan; 05-12-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:19 PM
All mine did was make a lot of noise and make it so I'm always takin the intake apart and cleaning the Mass air flow sensor so that it doesn't read wrong make the computer run the engine differently and from that killing my cats... Make that my fathers cats. It didn't kill mine but I bought my dad one for his birthday long ago when I was young and nieve and the thing killed the cats. Read that it was getting no air bc sensor was covered in oil, and everything went downhill.

I have a k and n but I don't recommend it. Noisy it's not a turbo diesel why the whistle? I still can hear it over exhaust which is considered loud. Not to mention not doing much.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 600Polaris
All mine did was make a lot of noise and make it so I'm always takin the intake apart and cleaning the Mass air flow sensor so that it doesn't read wrong make the computer run the engine differently and from that killing my cats... Make that my fathers cats. It didn't kill mine but I bought my dad one for his birthday long ago when I was young and nieve and the thing killed the cats. Read that it was getting no air bc sensor was covered in oil, and everything went downhill.

I have a k and n but I don't recommend it. Noisy it's not a turbo diesel why the whistle? I still can hear it over exhaust which is considered loud. Not to mention not doing much.
Whistle ? Could be,-

1. The box isn't tight or something is loose.
2. You have a 4.6L and removed the IAC muffler.
3. Your just hearing induction noises. That sound is more like the old quadrajet kick-down (4 barrel).
4. There's a rather large horse fly jammed into the media, - head first. When you crack the throttle, - wings flutter and at times can forward a high pitched whistle.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mgdfan be hating

Old 05-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Whistle ? Could be,-

1. The box isn't tight or something is loose.
2. You have a 4.6L and removed the IAC muffler.
3. Your just hearing induction noises. That sound is more like the old quadrajet kick-down (4 barrel).
4. There's a rather large horse fly jammed into the media, - head first. When you crack the throttle, - wings flutter and at times can forward a high pitched whistle.
Mine also whistles and there is nothing loose, only at certain rpms, mostly between 1500-2000. Have reinstalled it a couple times and nothing loose. Would recommend the gotts over cai. If I could go back, I would have just done the gotts and another mod earlier. My programmer does have intakes tunes, so haven't had any lean issues.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:05 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jerrybizzle
Mine also whistles and there is nothing loose, only at certain rpms, mostly between 1500-2000. Have reinstalled it a couple times and nothing loose. Would recommend the gotts over cai. If I could go back, I would have just done the gotts and another mod earlier. My programmer does have intakes tunes, so haven't had any lean issues.
I have just used the 3" tube part of those intakes, because it's direct vs chambered. Sounds funny,not literally, - like they come with Flowmaster intakes lol. Seriously and with the 97-03 intake, the factory intake is sort of chambered. So if you use just the 3" tube from ANY intake kit, connect that to your factory box w/gotts mod, - I bet your better off. Just run a dry element.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:31 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by camopaint0707
mgdfan be hating

If by 'hating' you mean his thoughts are based on absolute and specific data that points to the fact that CAI's by themselves don't offer enough gains to justify the potential damage they can cause, then yes, MGDfan be hatin' all over this beeotch.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:04 AM
By whistle I did mean the induction noise. It's loud. I break it apart fairly often to clean sensor but that's after I reharge k and n. So oily. It's on and I can't find my stock one so it stays I guess. To cheap to buy a salvage one lol.

Quick Reply: Do K&N CAI really work?