Corsa vs. Borla

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corsa vs. Borla

Im looking into getting a SISO cat back system for my 2004 scab 5.4 f150. i've narrowed it down to the corsa DB and Borla part #140086. I like the sound of the DB, but i can't find any videos of the Borla and would like some input on how it compares to the DB. Input would be greatly appreciated! thanks.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want quiet go with corsa. If you want great tone, go with Borla.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:14 PM
sounds good. how much louder do you think the Borla is than the Corsa?

Old 05-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Neither one is very quiet with the small hi-flow cats once they have a few miles on them. The Borla is quite throaty at all ranges. The Corsa is VERY raspy on cold start-up, but tames down some when warmed up and NO Drone at all with either system. I got fed-up with mine (Have both systems for sale locally). Still have the Hi-Flows on and put the stocker back on. sounds good for a change, but I am in my 60's and starting to like quiet for a change .....

Old 05-15-2012, 10:43 PM
Check my YouTube channel for Db Corsa vids, XR-1 vids, and Magnapack vids.

Channel is MCP2002. I also wrote reviews of each here on this site so search Bu my name.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-15-2012, 11:15 PM
Sounds like my dad. haha. thanks for the input guys! much appreciated. One more thing, which ones louder?

Old 05-16-2012, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by JBell4
Sounds like my dad. haha. thanks for the input guys! much appreciated. One more thing, which ones louder?
Keeping in mind I have a 2010 F150 with the 5.4L....

On acceleration, I think my Corsa may have been louder than my XR-1 and my Magnapack. This may have been because it is a higher pitched sound.

At Cruise speed, the Corsa is almost dead quiet. There is a slight "purr" around 1800-2000 rpms, but it isn't loud or annoying by any stretch of the imagination. If you want aggressive as a banshee outside when accelerating but quiet while cruising around, the Corsa, IMO, is absolutely awesome.

The XR-1 has a "howl" like sound to it (You can hear it in my drive-by video). It did drone for me in the 60ish-68ish mph range, after that it mellows down and is pretty quiet. The "sweet" range for sound, IMO, on my XR-1, was about 70-75 mph. In this range it had a growl like sound to it. It is much bassier than either the Corsa or Magnapack. It is a very deep and clean type of sound.

The Magnapack does not really drone at all for me. There is a slight, I guess you could call drone in the 60-65 mph range but it isn't loud or annoying. Also, as the Magnapack warms up, it develops a deep muscle car type sound with a smooth "purrthump" (im copyrighting that, btw. lmao) to it. IMO, the Magnapack did sound a tiny bit hollow at times, but as it broke in, it did develop an even deeper and cleaner sound.

It really depends on what you are looking for. I have seen some say the Magnapack is not good as a daily driver, and with regards to that, I would disagree 100%. It is loud, but not intrusive inside (in my 2010 FX4) the cab at all. The XR-1, IMO, was a little intrusive at times. It did sound great, but it was a different sound than what I was looking for. My wife described the XR-1 like this (we went out after I returned from the exhaust shop):

"It just sounds bassy. It's not that it is too loud, it just sounds somewhat overbearing. It's annoying. Put that Magnawhatchamacallit back on....that thing sounded really good. This thing is just...well, blah."

She's no exhaust expert, and has been known to call things as she see (or hears) it. lmao

The more I drove it, it did sort of grow on me, but my memories of my Magnapack still nagged at me. As much as I like my Borla, I missed my Magnapack. You will get different schools of thought on the Magnaflow vs Borla debate. There are folks who think the Borla is the best sound ever, while others think it is ordinary at best. The XR-1 DOES maintain it's tone, but if the tone is not what you are looking for....you may have just installed an exhaust that will annoy you ALL the time rather than some of the time. LOL

As far as the Corsa being "raspy", I guess it depends on how one defines "raspy". When heard from the outside, the Corsa sort of sounds like a diesel truck.

Corsa Warm Start
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjCbmqMputQ

This next vid is a slow drive-by. I was not going 2000 rpms, this was a slow cruise down my neighborhood street.
Slow Drive-By
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irpd0UeH47E

My wife really liked the Corsa system on my truck. It sounded pissed off outside but very mellow inside....perfect for those that want minimal interior noise. It was almost erie how quiet it was inside. That was actually my biggest complaint. I wanted more noise.

With regards to being most well-rounded, my vote goes to the Magnapack. If you want loud outside, but not annoying inside. If you want growl inside, but not annoying drone. If you want a muscle car sound, but not a hollow and tinny Flowmaster "my son made this in shop class for Father's Day so I have to mount it on my truck so I don't ruin his self esteem and force him to join the circus" sound, then you more than likely want a Magnapack.

If it's any consolation, I went from Corsa to Magnapack to Borla and back to Magnapack. A 12" 3"/3" Bullet is probably up next. If I get a bullet and hate it, I will probably go back to the Corsa or Magnapack.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-16-2012, 02:00 AM
helps a lot! thanks!

Old 05-17-2012, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the feed back guys. Ordered the Borla today.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

solid choice^^ I love my Borlas

Old 05-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
excellent

Quick Reply: Corsa vs. Borla