which cats need replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012 | 07:58 AM
|
Originally Posted by glc
You got it! Replace the front cats with a pipe.

This assumes that you can find a shop that will do it. It depends on where you are.
If they can't, am I looking at just a direct replacement?

Old 12-10-2012 | 09:13 AM
|
Shop says they can do it. He checked my upstream cat on bank 1 and it was reading 400 something degrees. Others were running at 300 something. So the dealership is right and I'll be ordering my magnaflow a today. Shop said they will keep the cats but will be willing to work with me on price. I like the owner and he wasn't there today so maybe the owner will let me keep them.

Old 12-10-2012 | 09:28 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by Enielsen
Shop says they can do it. He checked my upstream cat on bank 1 and it was reading 400 something degrees. Others were running at 300 something. So the dealership is right and I'll be ordering my magnaflow a today. Shop said they will keep the cats but will be willing to work with me on price. I like the owner and he wasn't there today so maybe the owner will let me keep them.
Sounds like a plan, hope it works out great for you. If a shop wanted to keep my cats, I too would want them to discount the labor at least $40.00.

Old 12-10-2012 | 09:36 AM
|
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Sounds like a plan, hope it works out great for you. If a shop wanted to keep my cats, I too would want them to discount the labor at least $40.00.
The owner said he would discount it 60 bucks because I go there for all my exhaust work. He is a good dude. I will keep u guys updated. I appreciate all the help, you guys are awesome.

Old 12-10-2012 | 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Brew, an honest shop would not have done that work in MA because what they did was illegal.
You lost me.

So, if you drove in missing all four cats , they couldn't work on your vehicle.

- I don't think sooo.....

Old 12-10-2012 | 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by glc
In other words, they violated the law and took your old cats in exchange for doing what they were not supposed to do.
You seem to be changing your mind lol.

Old 12-10-2012 | 10:03 AM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by jbrew
You lost me.

- I don't think sooo.....
I have always pondered the thought, if someone did such as this an originally came equipped with 4 and not 2, with the shop knowing this also judging by the model year would they willingly install 2 in place or argue the fact that it needs 4. It isn't like they can refuse the customer to make their vehicle legal again but I could see a minor confrontation of catalytic converter quantity. But I assume most would willingly install 2 granted you provide them.

Old 12-10-2012 | 10:11 AM
This isn't California, where it's illegal to alter and whatnot. Hell, in California, if the exhaust system even looks altered they can impound it. But yea, that's only California and it's only in that state where I'd believe something as crazy as giving up your converters/property might be required.

Aside from that and AFAIK- There's no law requiring you to donate your converters against your will.

In some states, it's solely up to the vehicle owner to pass smog/sniffer. Others, THAT don't even exist.

Darren, -this wasn't a response to what you said above, - wrote and posted before seeing yours.

Last edited by jbrew; 12-10-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-10-2012 | 11:38 AM
|
I'm just glad I live in Indiana. You could stroll in there with open headers and they would do the work you wanted. They don't have to keep my cats but the owner wants to cut me 60 bucks on labor... I'll pay 20 in gas going to the scrap place... I'll take the deal.

Old 12-10-2012 | 11:56 AM
glc
Brew - it appears that Massachusetts has emissions laws similar to California. TG says that you can't legally replace a 4 cat system with 2 cats, and you can't use high flows. It appears to be OEM or direct replacements only allowed.

No - but they legally have to put 4 appropriate cats on if you are having them do work involving the cats.

You seem to be changing your mind lol.
No - I'm saying that the shop probably wanted to keep the old cats in exchange for doing illegal modifications. In other words, we will look the other way if you look the other way too.

I believe it may be a FEDERAL law that a shop cannot remove cats without replacing them with some kind of cat. In this part of MO, we have no emissions inspection. I think if I went in to the muffler shop, they would cut all 4 of mine out, they would replace them with 2 cats of my choice, but they wouldn't let me out with no cats at all. Would they let me keep the old cats? Probably.

Last edited by glc; 12-10-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-10-2012 | 12:13 PM
I'm just glad I live in Indiana. You could stroll in there with open headers and they would do the work you wanted. They don't have to keep my cats but the owner wants to cut me 60 bucks on labor... I'll pay 20 in gas going to the scrap place... I'll take the deal.
And that's been done plenty of times. Mainly because the muffler shops wouldn't install headers, so.....Wrench wrench , rooma zoom zoom...

Old 12-10-2012 | 01:55 PM
|
And that's been done plenty of times. Mainly because the muffler shops wouldn't install headers, so.....Wrench wrench , rooma zoom zoom...
lol

last thing... how will deleting 4 factories and adding 2 universal magnaflows affect the sound? I have the flowmaster 40 series on single in, straight through design, dual out.

Old 12-10-2012 | 02:20 PM
lol

last thing... how will deleting 4 factories and adding 2 universal magnaflows affect the sound? I have the flowmaster 40 series on single in, straight through design, dual out.

Louder, noticeably louder. 40's/44s are 2 chambered. 50's 60's 70's etc are 3 chambered.

Flowmasters w/laminar flow technology are more of a straight thru design.

Old 12-10-2012 | 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Brew - it appears that Massachusetts has emissions laws similar to California. TG says that you can't legally replace a 4 cat system with 2 cats, and you can't use high flows. It appears to be OEM or direct replacements only allowed.

No - but they legally have to put 4 appropriate cats on if you are having them do work involving the cats.

No - I'm saying that the shop probably wanted to keep the old cats in exchange for doing illegal modifications. In other words, we will look the other way if you look the other way too.

I believe it may be a FEDERAL law that a shop cannot remove cats without replacing them with some kind of cat. In this part of MO, we have no emissions inspection. I think if I went in to the muffler shop, they would cut all 4 of mine out, they would replace them with 2 cats of my choice, but they wouldn't let me out with no cats at all. Would they let me keep the old cats? Probably.
I was just referring to shops claiming your old converters without the vehicle owner having a say.

That's what I was talking about at the time, when you posted this, -

Originally Posted by glc
Brew, an honest shop would not have done that work in MA because what they did was illegal.
Like it was illegal for them NOT to claim your old converters lol. That is one law I want to see in writing.

Last edited by jbrew; 12-10-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-10-2012 | 05:08 PM
|
Louder, noticeably louder. 40's/44s are 2 chambered. 50's 60's 70's etc are 3 chambered.

Flowmasters w/laminar flow technology are more of a straight thru design.
I am assuming I will get better mpgs???? I'm getting 18 right now in mixed driving with the edge.

Quick Reply: which cats need replaced?