FM or GIBSON?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2001 | 06:35 PM
|
FM or GIBSON?

Hey guys, my local shop only has flowmaster or gibson exhaust systems. I'd just like to hear from any one that has either one of these and how they like it. I don't want to lose any power and I sure would like a little popping when I put it in neutral and rev it up. That's to scare away the rice burners that tailgate me at red lights. If I put the exhaust tips straight out the back my exhaust should be at the same height as their windshield. That'll get them f**ckers off my rear end. BTW I have a 5.4L Screw. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-20-2001 | 11:01 PM
Well, from the sound of it, it seems you want Flowmasters. Although Gibsons are ok, it's a little more mellow than the FM - a little louder than stock. Personally I like straight pipes. Honestly they're not that loud as the cats quiet the exhaust somewhat, and there's very little drone when cruising on the highway. There is no power loss, IMO - although it may be more noticeable if you tow stuff or live in a really hilly area.

Plus, when you rev it, it goes, " vrrrrooooom poppity pop pop bang bam pop!" I love that!

Last edited by silent1; 08-20-2001 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-22-2001 | 12:03 AM
id go with the flows thats what i got on mine and i lovem
you can see mor epics in my sig!

Old 08-22-2001 | 07:25 PM
Hey Cajun I have the Gibson split rear ,they are a little louder than stock. I think when my muffler goes bad I'll go with the FM's. They sound great on a 150..

Old 08-23-2001 | 08:06 PM
Well I had the flows on my last truck and now I am putting on the gibson system. I chose it because of the claims they made in the fact that their system produces more power with out loosing the bottem end torque. I will post what I think after the install. Since I had both I should be able to tell it there is in fact any difference. From what I am told by others they both produce about the same which is way better than the stock setup. The difference in sound could be described as the flows are throughty and raspy where as the gibson has a deep mellow tone. I pull a trailer for long periods of time on the freeway going to the national events for the bike and while I love a good tone after a few hundred miles It starts getting on my nerves. I am hoping to get the same increase of power without all the noise. Kinda a sleeper. The system I got was the dual sport out of the rear side. My flows exited before the tire. We will just have to see the difference. I am going to try to install it over the weekend and will post my findings after.

Old 08-23-2001 | 11:09 PM
|
Thanks

Thanks a bunch. I'll wait until I read your response to see which one I'll put on. I found a place which would do the FM for about 275 which would include the Y pipe mod and two pipes exiting out the rear at 45 degree angles with chrome tips. The cheapest I can find a gibson is for $289 online and that's not including shipping or installing. So if the power is the same I think I'll go with the FM. But I'll let you make up my mind. Thanks.

Old 08-24-2001 | 03:13 PM
Thumbs up

While I have the Gibson SS (Swept Side) and not the Dual Sport, I can say that I really like the SS. I went with it for the same basic reasons as everyone else. Wanted the increase in low end power and not all the noise. I really like how the SS is quiet, but when you get on it, it has a nice mellow tone that is 100% better then the stock sound was.

Doing it over, I would really consider the Dual Sport. I was a bit misinformed in that "most" SI/DO setups lose some lowend torque. It "seems" that even on Gibson's web site, they now state the Dual Sport will increase the same as the SS, but have just a "tad" more sound to it. And since one 3.5" tip looks cool, two would be even better!

Old 08-27-2001 | 01:02 PM
Talking

cajunscrew,
i went to meineke about 15 minutes from my house and got a FM SI/DO with the tail pipes exiting the back on either side of the license plate. He custom bent the pipe around the rear tire on the left side and put 4" alum tips at the end, They were the echo chamber tips. i think they were FM 40 series. When he started it up after he was done, it sounded like a harley. It is on ly a 4.2L But i can definatley feel the difference with the HP and torque. I was at a stop light this mornign and a cobra mustang pulled up behind me and think it pissed him off when i pushed on the gas a bit. It was definatley louder than his car. well good luck man!!

Old 08-28-2001 | 07:52 PM
|
Hey Skidmarkracing, did you do the install yet. I'm anxiously awaiting your results before I commit to either FM or Gibson. I'm leaning toward FM due to it being cheaper to get it installed with the Y pipe mod. Only about $280, and just the Gibson itself is $289 not counting the install or the Y pipe install or shipping.

Quick Reply: FM or GIBSON?