Lightning Exhaust????

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2001 | 06:48 PM
|
Question Lightning Exhaust????

I have been wondering this for some time guys, what are the components of the L's exhaust system?? and I am really wondering where I could get my hands on this??? and if I can get it to fit the 4.6 litre, or is there a catback system for the lightning??? Cause I think the next thing I am gonna get for my truck is new exhaust, any suggestions, preferably dual pre-wheel exit?

Old 08-21-2001 | 02:54 AM
Question Exhaust

Hey droopy

What i did on my truck is change the factory Y pipe then run 3" pipe back to a 40 series flowmaster, single 3" in, duel 2.5" out.
I gained a noticable amount of bottom and midrange power and better gas mileage.

Hope this helps.

Larry.

Old 08-21-2001 | 06:53 AM
Gibbson super truck...
Single in duel out. & sounds great..

Old 08-22-2001 | 06:40 PM
The L's exhaust system is a single tube running out the passenger side before the tire which splits off into 2 tips through the molding. Don't know if it uses the 5.4L stock y-pipe or not. Spintech mufflers utilizes an exhaust system with an X-pipe instead of a Y-pipe which is supposed to increase low-end and that runs 2 tubes through 2 mufflers then out to one side, looks bad *** saw it on an f-150 on the street once. I would like to know, does flowmaster makes a single tube exhaust to one or both sides?

Old 09-02-2001 | 04:14 AM
|
Question low-end?

So in otherwords, if I replaced the stock y-pipe with an x-pipe, my low end would go up and therefore improving acceleration, correct? How much is that system running Carman??? Do they have it in a 4.6 system? Who else on this forum have maxed out on performance parts on a 4.6?? I think somone had a 4.6 with a magnacharger on it...cause I want to make my truck go as fast as possible w/out swapping engines.thanks for any input.

Old 09-07-2001 | 09:19 PM
L Exaust Routing

CarMan I just bought an L exaust sytem used.Manifolds to tail pipes.The system is a complete true dual system with no "y".It does use one muffler with a dual in dual out.

Old 09-07-2001 | 09:28 PM
CarMan,

I looked at flowmasters website: www.flowmastermufflers.com
and found some good info. I don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence, but they make the 40,50,60,70, 80 series mufflers and a Delta force muffler...they also make "systems" that include the pipes...To answer your question about the single tube exhaust to one or both sides: They do both....a single tube to the passenger side behind the rear wheel, a double tube behind both rear wheels, plus "straights" (they actually bend). I would personally prefer the stock look of double sides. Plus, towing with straights I've heard gets soot on your boat or trailer. Anyone have experience with that? Does anyone think the double sides would be more restrictive since it has more bends? What's the deal with Y, X, H crosses? Is this behind the muffler? Is there really a performance gain in duals vs a single tube? or is it just for sound....
I'm shopping/researching for a new exhaust for my 98 4.6 so...

Old 09-08-2001 | 04:50 PM
A lot of the Lightning guys use the Magnaflow 14486 DI/DO muffler. It has a built in X pipe. I put one on my HD supercrew. Cut out the factory Y and run 2.5" pipes back to the muffler, then run dual tails on out wherever you want. In my case I kept the stock Harley dual tails. Very nice setup, very nice sound. With the builtin X in makes for an uncomplicated install.

Old 09-08-2001 | 09:44 PM
droopy88,
the systems around $450 pretty expensive. I honestly am myself confused about the whole low-end vs. WOt for performance (by this i mean street performance) I know low-end is good for take-off. the setup i wanna get is an x-pipe running 2 1/4' (for faster flow) into either 2 glass packs or 2 fm 40 (r those the loudest?) 2 chamber mufflers and then out through 4' x 12' chrome tips. Thanks for all the input guys!

Quick Reply: Lightning Exhaust????