No Muffler???

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2001 | 10:22 PM
|
Question No Muffler???

I just got a 99 5.4, I am thinking of running a pipe out the convertor, a u pipe, and 2 pipes out the rear of the truck. The question I have is what will happen to my power, mileage, and torque? How loud will it be? I herd this setup on a truck a few years ago and from what I remember it sounded good. Do anyone have any input-anyone running something like this.

I just wanted somthing differnt-my old 98 4.6 had a dynomax ultraflow.

Thanks

Matt

Old 08-20-2001 | 11:47 PM
No Muffler

Unless you have a friend that is an inspector, I'd emagine you'd have a problem getting it inspected. Also, wouldn't that interfer with the computer in some way? Also seems like you'd burn your valves out without a muffler longterm since they always claimed that was the problem with dump-off valves... (If you were going to go that way perhaps a dump-off valve would work better?)

Old 08-21-2001 | 12:53 AM
Do it, do it, do it!!! You prolly don't even have inspectors in ND, so you have nothing to worry about. Just leave the cats alone and you'll be fine. Plus your truck will start sound like a "grown man's truck!"

Do a search. There are wav files floating around here w/ various exhausts.

Old 08-21-2001 | 03:56 PM
|
thats right North Dakota+low population=no inspectors!!!

Old 08-22-2001 | 12:09 PM
actually, "grown men" as you call them know the difference between what a truck should sound like and the insecurity of not sounding loud enough.

Old 08-22-2001 | 10:04 PM
defacto,
just because somebody likes a loud truck doesn't make him less of a man than you. my truck is straight piped and i have no insecurities that i'm aware of. just my opinion, but some of us happen to like a loud exhaust. to each his own, rich

Old 08-23-2001 | 04:24 PM
|
Hikerrich,

So what do it sound like?

do it rumble or go crackle pop?

Matt

Old 08-23-2001 | 06:44 PM
hikerrich

It's not simply to each his own. If we were talking about colour, tires, interior, whatever, etc., I could care less. However, we are talking about mufflers. Rhetorical question for ya, what's the purpose of a muffler? Exactly. There's a fellow around the corner who has straight pipes on his truck, and it makes me and many other neighbors very annoyed at night time. Understand, I don't care what one person does vs. another, but when it wakes me (or some of the sleeping kiddies in my neighbourhood) in the middle of the night, simply to satisfy someone's so called 'personal taste', it is my business. So unless you drive before average working folks go to bed, you are pissing off someone, somewhere. If making people angry is your idea of fun...well, then I'm just back to my original point about being insecure.

Old 08-23-2001 | 07:58 PM
Red face

[The Silent One steps on his soapbox]

Defacto:
First of all, it was merely a suggestion. I'm only telling him what I think sounds good. Second, no one on this board can tell others how to behave when driving their truck. Sure, I could floor my truck (or bike) the moment I hit the neighborhood. And chances are that if I did it, I'd be grinning from ear to ear . Or I could sit in my garage and rev it and listen to the echo. But I don't. Why? Because I wanna be considerate to the neighbors. In fact, he lives in ND, so his nearest neighbor is like 10 miles away!!!

So just because the guy next to you acts like an a** when he's in his truck, don't assume that everyone with straight pipes does too. For all you know, it could be a kid behind the wheel (I assume you never met or talked to the guy). Oh, and that's another thing. Instead of whining to the message board about how immature he acts, try telling him about it (assuming you haven't done that either).

[/The Silent One steps off his soapbox]

summitman:
It mostly rumbles, but will crackle and pop on decel from high rpms with a stick or if you rev it in neutral.

"Live free or die"

Last edited by silent1; 08-23-2001 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-24-2001 | 12:06 AM
summitman,
it has a nice deep rumble. if you rev it high it will crackle and pop some, but i usually try not to do that. i try to take it easy on the truck.

defacto,
i have plenty of neighbors and i try to be as considerate as i can. i'm not a kid anymore. i just happen to like a loud truck. my truck is mine, just like yours is yours. so, to each his own is the truth. if your neighbor is giving you fits, go talk to him/her. we could argue this til the cows come home, but we won't. as far as insecure goes; i don't think i am, but i'm too scared of myself to ask me. have a wonderful day. i'm through, rich.

Old 08-24-2001 | 12:45 PM
silent1:
thanks for the lecture, the soap box thing was a nice touch I have never said that I can tell anyone what to do. My origainal point has not changed, whereas you appear to be arguing with what I have not said rather than what I have. The fact that you might be 'grinning from ear to ear' proves my point beautifully. Incidentally, I have spoken to my neighbour, I never called him an a** and I never whined about him, it was an example trying to explain how noise is my business when it affects me. Your American, you should know this better than anyone else, it's called utilitarianism: do what you like so long as it doesn't affect anyone directly. Waking me up a 2 a.m. is pretty damn direct, wouldn't you say?

rich:
mooooooo I see your point, and I'm scared of you too....lol Kidding. I agree, we're done. Take it easy.

Old 08-24-2001 | 08:16 PM
Very good then. Have a good weekend fellas and see ya on the next thread.

I always have to have the last word...

BTW - Let us know what you end up doing, summitman.

Old 08-26-2001 | 06:31 PM
|
Talking done deal

well I decided to go straight threw w/ pipe--NO MUFFLER

Bought --- tailpipes and a y-pipe
--- some clamps
--- 2 hangers
total --- $70.00

Installed myself--This thing sounds great

--No poping
--only gets really loud if I get on it from a stop

thanks for the help guys

Matt

Old 08-30-2001 | 11:20 PM
curious

I'm not trying to revive the old argument here, honest, but I am curious; what happens to the sound volume when the cats are removed? Is it possible that the dude down the street from me has removed them, because I've been reading several posts on the straight pipe thing, and no-one seems to think that they are ridiculously loud. The guy down the street from me is louder than I thought was even possible from a pick-up. I mean, I have FM true duals on mine, and they are actually (now that I have had them on for a while) not that loud. So, would taking off cats (aside from being polluting and illegal) increase the volume? Sorry for the long post.

Old 08-30-2001 | 11:30 PM
defacto,
yep, a huge difference. the 4 cats on our trucks soak up tons of the noise. i never would have considered straight pipes without hearing them on several trucks first. as a kid i ran headers into straight thrush on all my hot rods. would occasionally run headers into cherry bombs. i didn't want straights anymore. til i heard these. i would check it out. some guys around here have their cats hollowed out to still pass inspection. makes for a very loud truck. good luck, rich.

Quick Reply: No Muffler???