duel exaust without removing the spare tire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
duel exaust without removing the spare tire?

I have a 98 expy with 5.4 V8. I would like to put an exaust system on it but the guy at midas said a cant put the pipes stright out the back with out removig the spare tire. I know that alot of people have duel exaust on this sight and have not removed the spare tire...any brands or tips would be great, thanks

Old 08-21-2001, 10:58 PM
Sounds like you'd better find yourself another muffler shop. Any exhaust guy worth his weight can install duel pipes on your truck without doing anything to the spare tire. Granted, one of the pipes has to take a pretty good turn to clear the spare but it's not a big deal. You should be able to what this looks like by checking under any truck you see with two pipes.

The Midas guy definitely DOESN'T have the golden touch!

Last edited by Mr.Wizard; 08-21-2001 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-22-2001, 09:32 AM
I was just about to say, take it to a better muffler shop . I've got duals on mine and hte spare is still just fine under there! By the way, I never realized how LOUD mine was until I was sleeping in one morning and my parents had to move my truck up. I woke up thinking "what the hell is that rumbling?" By the way its got a Flowmaster muffler, most of the bolt-on's you can buy "Borla/Gibson/etc." can be easily replaced with some custom pipe bending and a better muffler at your local muffler shop, for about the same price.

Old 08-22-2001, 12:17 PM
? on Exhaust...

Is there anyone with an Expy out there, that has had duals out the rear installed, w/out removing the spare?

Does he want it removed for easier/better access/working area? Or does he mean permenantly?

Remember, there isn't alot of work space under it. Compared to a Super Cab Truck, that is...

Another ?

Has anyone seen a Black Roush Expy before? A saw one a few months ago, while in North TX. It looked Really sharp.

R1968

Old 08-22-2001, 12:37 PM
I don't have one but I have a guy I know with dual exhaust in his expedition and he still has his spare tire under there as well. He just took it to a muffler shop (not meineke or midas, a true, muffler only shop) and they bent some pipes to go around the spare, just about perfectly. As I recall they paid about $300 for the whole setup including install.

Quick Reply: duel exaust without removing the spare tire?