Custom exhaust- Am I crazy or are they trying to screw me???

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013 | 02:59 PM
Truck of the Month
Well shoot, I went OEM and got the most expensive locker bolts possible and I'm still worried about leaks - with 800 miles on em

Old 08-11-2013 | 10:30 PM
Ya but yours weren't installed right according to your story. The product is only as good as the person putting it in.

Side not I used stage 8 locking bolts and they work perfect. Not one has rattled its way loose.

Old 08-11-2013 | 10:48 PM
Truck of the Month
True. I would've used Stage 8's (half the price of the Percy's), but there's ZERO room to put those little clips on some of the bolts on the 04+ 5.4s. But really, locking bolts shouldn't be necessary, they're just extra protection/prevention.

Old 08-11-2013 | 11:05 PM
Ya I think guy that did mine said he couldn't get on of those clips on. The rest he said he got on. It was just a pain.
I would rather just be safe then sorry.

Last edited by thelariat02; 08-11-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-12-2013 | 11:36 AM
|
Originally Posted by Jayberkkn
Well i am not sure, where you stay but aluminized does not last but a few years even in Austin where I stay. Individually, I'd find a store that will do some 304 stainless-steel perform for you, and it should be less than what they estimated you.
I found a shop that is ordering mandrel bends and we're doing all stainless for a lot less than the other shop quoted.

Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Well I'm sure part of the problem with the gaskets is that my OBX kit was made in 2009. I guess I'll assume mine aren't leaking cause my guy said they weren't and yours keep saying they aren't either. Still curious as to what Stealth ended up with
Well, I read through 21 pages of comments haha. Stealth ended up taking the OEM gaskets off and replacing them with the OBX gaskets and it got rid of the leak.

Old 08-12-2013 | 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by mackt

I found a shop that is ordering mandrel bends and we're doing all stainless for a lot less than the other shop quoted.

Well, I read through 21 pages of comments haha. Stealth ended up taking the OEM gaskets off and replacing them with the OBX gaskets and it got rid of the leak.

Sweet! SS is the way to go. Wish the price up by me for SS was good because aluminum rots thru in 3 to 5 years.

So you're saying the obx fixed the leak..dang

Old 08-12-2013 | 02:32 PM
Truck of the Month
Hmmm I might've used the OBX gaskets if they didn't crumble. Either way, mine isn't bad enough to mess with right now. But I'm a hypochondriac with my truck and it's irritating that I paid $160 for gaskets and bolts that were supposed to eliminate any question of leakage . . . Seems OBX gaskets and Ford studs/nuts would've been better haha

Old 08-12-2013 | 09:17 PM
|
Originally Posted by thelariat02
Sweet! SS is the way to go. Wish the price up by me for SS was good because aluminum rots thru in 3 to 5 years.

So you're saying the obx fixed the leak..dang
Yep, he changed to the obx gaskets and the leak was gone..

But yeah, there was no way I was gonna go aluminized and have to redo my exhaust in 3 years..

Hmmm I might've used the OBX gaskets if they didn't crumble. Either way, mine isn't bad enough to mess with right now. But I'm a hypochondriac with my truck and it's irritating that I paid $160 for gaskets and bolts that were supposed to eliminate any question of leakage . . . Seems OBX gaskets and Ford studs/nuts would've been better haha
I'm the same way with my truck.. If the smallest thing is wrong, I have to fix it.. But, what are you gonna do about your leak?

Anyways, I stopped in at the shop today.. He's taking his sweet time getting it done.. He only had one manifold off and had the old exhaust cut out of the truck. He's fitting me in between appointments, so it's understandable.. But you would think he would have booked me in by now. So, I'm hoping it's done by the end of the week..

Old 08-12-2013 | 10:21 PM
Truck of the Month
Do you have an immediate need for your truck? I guess if you're at school there isn't. I hope you're getting a good deal/ hook up for it taking so long. How much is he charging for everything? Honesty, if it's around $1,000, it's a steal and I wish I could do it all over!

Well, my exhaust guy told me mine weren't leaking, or are extremely minorly if they are. So I guess nothing. I'll just turn my ears off and become numb to it! If it gets worse, I'll fix it, but I've got enough things to do and get in order before school. I think they're leaking, but I don't have enough evidence to justify 10 hours of time to tear my exhaust apart or spend 60 bucks on new gaskets that might not even help anything. Good thing I'm only 2 hours away from home/tools! I'm gonna tighten and lock all the bolts I can get to, detail the outside, snap some pics, and be on my way! It'll be along time before my baby will be properly cleaned again haha

Last edited by KMAC0694; 08-12-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-14-2013 | 06:17 PM
|
Do you have an immediate need for your truck? I guess if you're at school there isn't. I hope you're getting a good deal/ hook up for it taking so long. How much is he charging for everything? Honesty, if it's around $1,000, it's a steal and I wish I could do it all over!

Well, my exhaust guy told me mine weren't leaking, or are extremely minorly if they are. So I guess nothing. I'll just turn my ears off and become numb to it! If it gets worse, I'll fix it, but I've got enough things to do and get in order before school. I think they're leaking, but I don't have enough evidence to justify 10 hours of time to tear my exhaust apart or spend 60 bucks on new gaskets that might not even help anything. Good thing I'm only 2 hours away from home/tools! I'm gonna tighten and lock all the bolts I can get to, detail the outside, snap some pics, and be on my way! It'll be along time before my baby will be properly cleaned again haha

Well, he said $350 for the header install and around $575 for the exhaust. Hopefully he'll give me a little more off for taking so long.. But I kinda do need my truck because I play hockey for my school and I need to get to the rink and back..

Old 08-15-2013 | 12:53 AM
Truck of the Month
Oh my gosh . . . That's a STEAL! I would've paid that in a heart beat. Including the labor for install, I have $1600-1700 in my exhaust. And that's with me spending a lot of my own time messing with it; me doing 90% of the exhaust labor haha.

Do you have hockey practice in the middle of the summer? I know nothing about hockey, so I don't even know when y'alls season starts

Last edited by KMAC0694; 08-15-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old 08-15-2013 | 11:36 PM
|
Oh my gosh . . . That's a STEAL! I would've paid that in a heart beat. Including the labor for install, I have $1600-1700 in my exhaust. And that's with me spending a lot of my own time messing with it; me doing 90% of the exhaust labor haha.

Do you have hockey practice in the middle of the summer? I know nothing about hockey, so I don't even know when y'alls season starts
Well, I already have 850 in parts (headers, gaskets, header bolts, mufflers, x-pipe and tips. Then, I'll be paying 350 for the header install and 550 for the labor and some stainless tubing to finish the exhaust. So in the end, I'll have about $1700-1800 into it.

UPDATE!!!--->I stopped by today and he had the drivers side header in and he was having trouble getting the passenger side header in and he was about to go home.. so I stayed there and got the header in place for him to finish installing tomorrow. He said he might be able to get it done if I was able to get it in place tonight. So, I'm crossing my fingers.

On a side note, I'm so glad I'm paying him to do that install because just trying to feed the header in and get it in place took me like an hour. It SUCKED and I will never be doing that again. I've done about 30% of the work to install the headers myself.

Old 08-16-2013 | 12:29 AM
Truck of the Month
Ohhh I forgot you already had the mufflers and x pipe and tips. Numbers add up more realistically now haha.

Did you not undo the passenger side motor mount? Doing that and jacking the engine up makes it pretty easy to slide that header right into place. Either way, exciting!! It's gonna sound awesome, better than mine for sure.

Old 08-18-2013 | 07:07 PM
|
Ohhh I forgot you already had the mufflers and x pipe and tips. Numbers add up more realistically now haha.

Did you not undo the passenger side motor mount? Doing that and jacking the engine up makes it pretty easy to slide that header right into place. Either way, exciting!! It's gonna sound awesome, better than mine for sure.
I didn't undo the passenger side mount.. My jack wouldn't go high enough to lift the engine. My truck is lifted 6"..

Got my truck back yesterday and the passenger side header is hitting the firewall and the transmission where the starter bolts on.. I don't know what to do.. I really, really don't want to take out the header and dent it or pay someone to do it. And since the header is touching the firewall, the sound transfers through from the engine and it's very bad. Also, the cab shakes like crazy.

The truck sounds unreal though. It has a loud deep tone. I love it.

Old 08-19-2013 | 11:45 AM
|
Last night I went for a drive and under a slight load with light acceleration I can hear the header tapping loudly on the transmission... I don't know what to do. Do you think it might tap enough to dent itself? Could the problem work itself out?

Quick Reply: Custom exhaust- Am I crazy or are they trying to screw me???