Custom exhaust- Am I crazy or are they trying to screw me???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013 | 01:50 PM
|
Custom exhaust- Am I crazy or are they trying to screw me???

I drive an 05 F150 with a 5.4l. I am going to be installing pacesetter LT's and I want to go with stainless true duals with mandrel bends, an x-pipe and 2 Borla mufflers ending in a lightning style exit. I'm still debating on whether I want to go with 2.5" or 3" tubing.

Anyways, I went to the shop this morning and they quoted me $700 to do the job. This was with me supplying both mufflers and the x-pipe. I found this price quite ridiculous considering they were only quoting me for aluminium tubing and I would be supplying everything else. I can't see them needing much for materials because of the x-pipe and mufflers taking up a lot of space under there. Also, they tried to sell me one of their mufflers (a magnaflow with a built in crossover) and they didn't seem to like it when I said I wanted to stick with Borla.

With that being said, is this a good price or were they trying to screw me? And, does anyone know where I can get good custom exhaust work done in the Oklahoma city area? I don't mind driving a bit to get good work and good service.

Any help would be appreciated guys!

Old 08-02-2013 | 02:00 PM
My SI/DO Flowmaster 40, stainless tips, installed was about $325. This from a guy that has been doing my exhaust for years. Most of that cost was labor as will yours.

Old 08-02-2013 | 02:59 PM
I supplied my own SIDO Magnaflow muffler and the shop supplied ss tips and pipes and that was $190 + labor which brought it to $225. I think you are getting a bad deal there

Old 08-02-2013 | 11:12 PM
|
That's kind of what I figured. I was thinking 400-500 would be on the expensive side..

Old 08-02-2013 | 11:30 PM
Truck of the Month
Are they installing your long tubes? I can't tell, but if they are, that's a steal. If you want full stainless, why not buy OBX headers? The headers are the most important part to have stainless.

I'd want 2.5" tubing too. So the quote they gave you is for using crap aluminized metal for the piping or the stainless that you want? If it's for crap metal that's not mandrel bent, without LT install, using your muffler and X pipe, they're ripping you off. If it's for stainless pipe that's mandrel bent, without LT install, using your muffler and X pipe, it's a little expensive but not THAT bad because 304 SS is very expensive.

Quotes for a SIDO Flowmaster, generic tips, and easy bends ARE gonna be $300 bucks because it's the easiest and most cost effective way to do it.

Old 08-03-2013 | 12:06 AM
|
Sorry, I'll be a little more specific. I already have Pacesetter LT's and they are ceramic coated.

The quote they gave me was for aluminized metal with mandrel bends. I would be supplying the mufflers and x-pipe and I would be installing the headers as well.

What I'm looking for is stainless with mandrel bends. I would be supplying the two mufflers, x-pipe and I would also be installing the headers myself. The system would be true duals with an x-pipe, two mufflers and two tips in a lightning style exit.

Old 08-03-2013 | 12:45 AM
Truck of the Month
Ok, gotcha. They are definitely screwing you! I wouldn't even go back to them. Go somewhere else if that's an option. I'm not sure where you live, but aluminized doesn't last but a few years even in Houston where I live. Personally, I'd find a shop that'll do some 409 stainless work for you and it should be less than what they quoted you. That quote is complete BS. The muffler and X pipe are the most expensive components and you would be supplying those. The tricky part is that a lot of shops don't have 304 or 409 just sitting around. Not sure which grade of stainless you want, but 409 is way better than standard stuff, and cheaper than 304. So better bang for the buck.

Sorry, I saw that you live in OKC. But y'all get some snow, so I'd want some 409 at least. I can see it being a bit tricky to weld thin SS to the pacesetter collectors, but $700 JUST for labor and sh*t pipe? No way. Especially because lightning exit has got to be much less pipe AND much fewer bends and complications than duals under the bumper.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 08-03-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old 08-03-2013 | 06:33 AM
Technical Article Contributor

that's high considering the exit and the tubing....time to call around some more or visit some more shops....

Old 08-03-2013 | 09:53 AM
Just a hint...

Check hot rod shops, one by me does top notch work andn 304 SS and andrel bends. 2 towns over from me... I'll pay more, but the work appears to be flawless

Old 08-03-2013 | 10:22 AM
WFO
That price is what I call "I dont really want to do that job but if you insist, it will cost you"

Old 08-03-2013 | 08:00 PM
|
I've been doing some calling around and have yet to find someone who can do mandre bends.. It's looking more and more like I will have to buy a universal kit and do some cutting and get a muffler shop to weld it for me.

Does anyone know of a good universal kit? I've been looking at the Borla 2.5" hot rod kit (Part# 10512) and a kit from http://www.stainlessworks.net.

Old 08-03-2013 | 08:21 PM
Truck of the Month
I don't know if getting it all mandrel bent is really THAT much better. Mine is all mandrel, but what does that yield, one and half a horsepower over normal bends? I would think it a much bigger factor on blown apps

Trying to get exhaust kits to fit properly is a bit of a pain too. Everything stainless works has it stupid expensive too. It's said to be great with great craftsmanship, but double and triple what some others charge.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 08-03-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-03-2013 | 08:58 PM
|
A supercharger is in the plan for the future.. But that won't be for 3 to 5 years. Should I just say never mind to the mandrel bends and go to a regular muffler shop?

Old 08-03-2013 | 09:25 PM
Truck of the Month
I'm not sure. I've reached the end of my knowledge with this cause I don't know how much of a difference mandrel bends actually make vs normal. Obviously they're better, but I don't know if they make enough of a difference for you to go so far out of your way to get them. I'm sure some of the supercharger guys that live on dynos could tell you if mandrel is worth it or not. A TON of people have a supercharger with completely stock exhaust, or at least stock manifolds. I'm sure exhaust would help them out, but it isn't the end of the world.

I'm pissed cause I have $1,300 dollars just in parts into my exhaust and I already want to trash a large portion of it to switch from Y pipe with SIDO to X pipe with true duals haha. I'm not sure if the truck is getting a blower, or if I'm going to wait until I get a Mustang to get crazy. Either way, I'm a minimum of 4-5 years off for that! Haha

Old 08-03-2013 | 10:12 PM
|
Haha Well KMAC, I really appreciate the advise. But, why not both? hahaha

Quick Reply: Custom exhaust- Am I crazy or are they trying to screw me???