New exhaust idea!!! Opinions and recommendations please

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013 | 01:36 AM
|
New exhaust idea!!! Opinions and recommendations please

So I'm planning on a new exhaust for my 09 fx4 5.4l. After hours of reading everyone's posts; setups of what all of you are running, as well as videos, I believe I like the magnapak sound the best from best I can tell. I've heard so many good things about the borla xr1, and was dead set on getting it, but to me I am liking the magna pak sound.

So what I'm thinking is 2 round magnapaks, hi flow magnaflow cats, xpipe, with stainless tips 45 out the back.

Questions
1) which magnapak, as far as 2.5 or 3" inlet/exit? And part number?
2)2.5 or 2.25 piping?
3)which x pipe?

Is there any advantage as far as performance or sound by running this true dual setup versus si/do?

I purchased my truck in 09 with a si/do with what I believe is a 40 series flow master. I am not happy with it at all. It's just very quite to me. I want louder.
But good sound. But much louder. I have true dual straights on my 98 4.6 that actually sound good to me, but don't quite want that loud on this truck, but almost as loud. I want a good clean deep loud sound. Do you all think this setup would achieve this?

Thank you all
Chris

Old 08-14-2013 | 04:37 AM
exhaust

Just a suggestion look into aero turbine exhaust I thought it sounded good.

Old 08-14-2013 | 10:37 PM
|
Thanks. Any more input, or thoughts please.
How loud will what I mentioned be?
Si/do or true duals differences in loudness and performance?

Old 08-15-2013 | 08:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Don't do true duals. Expensive and not worth it performance wise on a big naturally aspired truck.

I ran 2.5" X piped true dualed Bulletswith the rear cats removed on my 2004 5.4L.

On my 2007, I have a single 3" exhaust full mandrel bent, a 3" in/out Magnapack, a Y pipe after it for dual 2.5" tailpipes, same exhaust exit from the 2004. Stock cats, and its probably the exact same volume, but a much better tone.

So $500 ( 2007 ) > $750 ( 2004 ).

The Borla XR1 has the exact tone of the Magnapack, but does not lose the tone in the RPM range like the Magnapack. The Magnapack in my exhaust does not lose it that badly however, the 3" exhaust helps.

Old 08-16-2013 | 03:08 AM
|
Thanks alot Darren. I appreciate the advice and the videos are awesome. I guess I will just go with a si/do system. I have true duals on my 98 reg cab 4.6, but I believe you have convinced me to just go with the si/do on my 09.

So question, if you were me what would you go with?
Si/do 3" pipe into y to borla xr1 then y to 2.5 to tips?
If so can you please tell
Me part number on the borla xr1 if
You have it handy?? And any particular y pipes? Or does that make any difference?
Also what high flow cats make much difference? I was thinking of getting the magnaflow cats.
Thanks alot

Old 08-16-2013 | 03:09 AM
|
Thanks alot Darren. I appreciate the advice and the videos are awesome. I guess I will just go with a si/do system. I have true duals on my 98 reg cab 4.6, but I believe you have convinced me to just go with the si/do on my 09.

You have it handy?? And any particular y pipes? Or does that make any difference?
Also what high flow cats make much difference? I was thinking of getting the magnaflow cats.
Thanks alot

Old 08-16-2013 | 03:49 AM
|
Also Darren do you have any experience or input on the banks monster exhaust?

Old 08-16-2013 | 11:24 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by Chris J.

Thanks alot
I would run a 3" midpipe off the OEM Y pipe since the 2009+ exhaust is not as restricted in size and bends as 2008- was. I would run a Borla #40085 XR1 muffler, and a Magnaflow #10778 Y pipe right after it for dual tails.

On the 2009+ I say so need for hi-flow cats since the newer model cats are smaller, and don't resonate sound so much. Only change the cats if they ever go back, otherwise, its not worth the headache.

Originally Posted by Chris J.
Also Darren do you have any experience or input on the banks monster exhaust?
I do not have hands-on experience, or have heard it in person, but I dislike how it sounds on videos. Quality is good like Magnaflow.

With videos, a lot of factors vary with videos. Sound quality can never be fully matched to hearing in person, but it can be very close. I use a external mounted microphone with a windscreen on my camcorder, and my home theater is my computers sound system, so my videos I can say, sound very much like those trucks in person.

Old 08-16-2013 | 12:08 PM
|
Thanks alot man. You have been a great deal of help. I'm just hoping with this plan I love the sound and its loud as I want. Do you know of any good videos to hear the borla?? I've looked on YouTube but sound quality isn't that great. And your videos are awesome man. I do think I will trust your advice and just do with the si/do instead of the true duals. Maybe I could just get the exhaust shop to replace muffler back. Since my truck already has a si/do setup with the flowmaster. The guy who had it before me had this done already when I bought it and I really don't care for the sound. Maybe I could just have muffler changed, add y pipe and new tips. Thanks alot

Quick Reply: New exhaust idea!!! Opinions and recommendations please