Aftermarket Diesel Exhaust System on Gas Truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Diesel Exhaust System on Gas Truck

This may sound stupid but I was just wondering if it is possible, well nowadays anything is possible, but I guess I mean a good idea to put a aftermarket diesel truck exhaust on a gas truck. Would there be performance increase or decrease? Would there also be great tone/sound or does it even affect that at all compared to just a normal gas exhaust? I'm not expert on exhaust systems but the idea of you having a 4" exhaust to a 5" tip seems pretty cool.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:09 PM
I run dual 3.5" tips. Seen a lot of people run 4" tips. If you run 4" pipe you better have a built *** motor or you are gettin literally no scavenging and losing tons of power

Old 09-04-2013, 10:14 PM
yeah its just a bone stock 4.6L. What's a really good set up that helps with performance but sounds great? Since mine is a 4.6 which is the same as a mustang GT models, could I get mine to sound that way? I really like the sound of aftermarket mustangs.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will not get your truck to sound like a mustang no matter what you do to it.

4"-5" exhaust, your truck will fall flat on it's face.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by avfrog
You will not get your truck to sound like a mustang no matter what you do to it.

4"-5" exhaust, your truck will fall flat on it's face.
Sadly, the mustang part is true. And the other part is too. I have long tube headers and full exhaust on my 2006 5.4, but it sounds NOTHING like my buddy's 05 mustang GT with a full exhaust. I unhealthily envy the way his car sounds, but they just don't sound the same for some reason. True duals sound different than y pipe exhausts too.

But, 2.5-3" is good for exhaust, anything bigger just isn't better to put it simply. And truthfully, anything short of long tube headers isn't really going to do anything performance-wise. I'd just choose something that you like the sound of, which most sound good. I like Borla personally and the muffler itself flows better than stock because it has a "straight-through" design. I like how Flowmasters sound on our trucks as well, but they're "chambered" and don't flow as well. Look for 4.6Punisher's sticky thread at the top of the exhaust forum. It covers pretty much all you'll want to know.

I have 4" tips on my duals. I like them and personally think anything smaller looks weird. At times I think 4.5" ones would look good, but have never heard of anyone having them, think 5" could be ok but is definitely pushing it.

I have always wondered how a diesel muffler, if with 3" in and out, would sound on a gas burner though . . .

Last edited by KMAC0694; 09-05-2013 at 12:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Diesel Exhaust System on Gas Truck