Y-pipe & after market exhaust ?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Y-pipe & after market exhaust ?????

i was wondering guys.i have a few questions.I'm planning on ordering and installing the y-pipe.i have a 2000 4x4 5.4L SC Flareside.im also plainning on installing a Borla dual out within these few months.i was wondering the size of the inlets and outlet of the y pipe i would need to buy.I was thinking 2.5' inlets and 2.5' outlet.i think the pipe from the exhaust system is the same size on a borla exhaust and stock exhaust would be 2.5'.correct me if im wrong.i just want to make sure since im doing the y pipe 1st and i don't want any problems installing the borla system when i buy it or having to modify it in any way.like having to weld it.tell me with what y-pipe size would i see the most gains without having any problems installing borla exhaust or having to modify it.thnks.

Old 08-28-2001, 02:59 PM
I have one for you

Hey I have a Flowmaster Y pipe from jegs. It would not work on my truck and it has just been sitting in my shed brand new still in the box. I will let it go for $25...part number FlO250300A

Old 08-29-2001, 10:46 PM
y-pipe

Hey 98STX, shoot me an e-mail and tell me what size that pipe is. I'm interested in taking it off your hands if it is the 2 - 2.5 inch inlets into the 1 - 3 inch outlet. KDronet@home.com Thanks.

Old 08-30-2001, 02:05 PM
Question

Has anyone used a Y pipe with a Gibson Cat Back product? I was looking at either the Dual Sport Truck or the Swept Side with the Y pipe. I had read that Gibson Cat Backs don't give a lot of room for installation of a Y pipe. BTW my truck is a Supercab 4x4.

Secondly, I was wondering if anyone has been able to change the factory Y pipe when the O2 sensor is installed on the factory Y pipe?

Old 08-30-2001, 03:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool helobubba60F

I have the Gibson SS. Just from looking, as long as you have the Extended Cab (Super Cab), there should be enough room. I figure the FM Y will weld right up to the Gibson Muffler. Then the muff shop will have to fabricate new pipes from where the old Y gets cut out.

My o2 sensor is in the stock Y too. My muffler guy says it's not a problem to relocate it. Basically, he is just going to put it in the new pipe he makes for that side. It'll be in the same location as it is now, just the FM Y will be farther back, so it'll be out of the way.

Now, I just need to find the time to get into the darn shop!! Everytime I drop by, he's busy. He won't make appointments, so it's first come first serve. He's darn good, so I'll wait.

Old 08-30-2001, 10:51 PM
Smile

Thanks for the info Mitch. I'm thinking that I will order a Gibson and a Y in the next couple of weeks. Just have to decide on the SS or DS.

Old 08-31-2001, 02:17 AM
Angry

still nobody answers my question.its really not that hard.any help with this would be appreciated.Does anyone have dual out Borla or any other brand dual-out exhaust system and flowmaster Y-pipe.and did you have to do any special kind of modification to get it to fit and if you had any problems putting it together.oh yeah and before i forget what are they sizes of the y.once again thnks.

Old 08-31-2001, 01:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Steel Breeze

Can't comment on the Borla directly, but if you are going to do all this, better to do it all at the same time. Cheaper and you'll have a better "engineered" system.

You'll have to find out what size inlet the muffler you want to use has. Most SI/DO have 2.5" inlets and outlets. Most SI/SO have 3" in/out. If dual out is your only consideration, you'd probably want the 2.5" Y.

Old 08-31-2001, 07:29 PM
Cool Finally!!!

Finally some info.thanks a lot Mitch.that what i was looking for.now it just a matter of buying the system.thnks.i probably be able to get all of this done by December if all goes right.right know i want to upgrade the tires.im looking at getting the new BFG's MT/KM.i want the 285/70r17.they should be available by next month.

Quick Reply: Y-pipe & after market exhaust ?????