How would this sound???

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2001 | 08:25 PM
|
Question How would this sound???

I have my exhaust "Y" piped off after the cats and am running straight pipes with 2 1/4" pipes. I was wondering what it would sound like if I cut out the factory Y pipe and ran true duals 2.5" into 2 Dynomax Bullets. Then after the bullets ran the pipes into my existing 2 1/4" tail pipes.

What kind of sound could I expect from this exhaust?

BTW my pickup is a '99 F-150, with a 5.4

Last edited by Fordman302; 08-29-2001 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-29-2001 | 09:00 PM
Lightbulb pipes

Hello Fordman, I could'nt tell you what the sound would be like but the system you're proposing would be restrictive. No sense going with 2 1/2" pipes into the Bullits only to choke them back down to 2 1/4" with your existing tailpipies. Better to use 2 1/4" into the Bullits and your existing pipes, or 2 1/4" into the bullits with new 2 1/2" tailpipes.

Personally, If I had a 5.4 litre I would cut off the pipes right after the cats and use 2 1/2" into an X pipe of the same diameter followed by the Bullits and 2 1/2" tailpipes as well. I can't say how loud it would be but if nearby neighbors are not a concern I think it'd be ssuhhweeet and very functional indeed!

I hope this will be helpful to you. LE PEW.

Old 08-29-2001 | 11:00 PM
|
They don't make 2 1/4" bullets that I know of. I want something that will make my exhaust snap when I let off, but i do not want glasspacks, everyone has them around here, and they don't really sound that good.

Does anyone know of anything I could do to my current set up that would give me some feedback when I let off the gas.

Old 08-30-2001 | 10:13 AM
Intake?

Fordman302, Do you have any other mods?

Am I understanding you right?
Has your Y pipe been eliminated and you have true dual straight 2 1/4" pipes?
Where do they exit to, sides before or after the rear wheels, rear exits??
Are you using any kind of tips.

Old 08-30-2001 | 10:58 AM
|
Arrow

The pipes are exiting straight out the back with 18" stainless steel tips with a 3.5" slash cut.

It is not true duals, not Y piped off after the cats with no mufflers. I was going to switch to "true duals" and run the Dynomax Bullets.

Was wondering how it would sound.

Old 08-30-2001 | 05:06 PM
Pardon me for being retarded, but what do you mean when you say you want your exhaust to "snap" when you let off the gas.

Old 08-30-2001 | 05:14 PM
|
Lightbulb

By snapping I mean I want my pipes to make some noise when I let off the gas. Right now my pickup is pretty loud and sounds great till I let off the gas, then it pretty much sounds stock. I want people to know I have an exhaust on my pickup the whole time. So I want it to make some noise when I lett of the gas.

Maybe witih our 4 cats it is not possible to make noise unless you are on the gas.

If you are still confused think of an old pickup or car with no cats and glasspacks. They make alot of noise when you let off, only thing is I could run glasspacks buut I do not want an old chevy sound on my new ford.

I have heard the Bulletts sounded good, does anyone know what they sound like?

Old 08-30-2001 | 05:32 PM
Question

I'll bet you are talking about some sort of "compression" type of sound when you let off the gas, right?

With the OD engaged and you are coasting, it'll shift into 4th and just roll along with the engine just basically idling. I usually run around town with the OD off, so it'll just stay in third. This way, when I let off the gas, the truck will slow down with engine compression. Works good for going down long hills where the speed limit is only 35mph and you can coast to over 45 real easy and then have to ride the brakes. In third it'll keep you from coasting too fast.

To test out if you current system will "snap" the way you want when you let off, just cruise around in 2nd, bring up the rpm's and let off the gas. Whatever compression and sound you have, you'll know it then.

Just a thought. Any sound you get when you let off is going to come from compression.

Old 08-30-2001 | 05:36 PM
|
Thats kind of what I meant. I don't like to run my RPM's too high on my pickup. If I take 'em up there a ways in 2nd and let off it really makes no sound.

Go to the dynomax web site and listen to the Mustang drag car on the audio files. It has a lot of sound when he lets off, that is what I am looking for on my pickup.

Thanks

Old 08-30-2001 | 06:09 PM
Cool Dunno....

Don't think you'll ever get that sound. The 98 Expy one sounded pretty good. Had a kinda "popping" sound when it let off.

You would probably get that sound from a single pipe setup and no muffler? I'm sure that's not an option, as your current setup with the dual 3.5" stainless tips out the back are just too cool.

Maybe cutting out the stock Y and going with the X pipe and 2.25" pipe will do it? Use the Bullits too. Just get adapters to bring it from 2.25 to 2.5 or whatever size in/out they have?

Old 08-30-2001 | 09:45 PM
Ok, so you wanna hear the rumbling and popping noise. Well, with you having an auto, I don't think it's gonna happen unless you manually downshift when slowing down. One thing that I heard was that when you use smaller diameter pipe, it will create that sound. Of course they ran glasspacks as well, which you don't want. But you could run a longer length glasspack, which actually don't sound as harsh compared to the short 12" ones.

Old 08-30-2001 | 10:45 PM
Sorry Fordman, I did'nt realize you were running an auto trans. Mitch made a good point about compression braking, any one who's ever heard a tractor trailer with a Jacob's brake system knows the distinctive raspy crackle when they let off the gas pedal even when shifting between gears.

If you don't like to run your RPMs high like you said you can forget about it, you can't have one without the other. I had a harley with straight pipes and after I richened the mixture it would talk to me when i shut down the throttle, sometimes I would be rewarded with little pops of blue flame too!

Try like Mitch said and shift your trans manually. If you like the way it sounds you might decide to leave your system the way it is. You might even decide to install a completely manual valve body.....yeah, yeah, and maybe a ratcheting floor shifter to go with it. But it wont happen unless really spin the motor.

You're truck have a rev limiter in it?? I dont think 4 or 5 thousand RPMs is too much for a modular motor once in a while. My little 4.6 gets up there in a hurry and seems to run smoother and stronger in the higher ranges although it's not very often that traffic is light enough to do this.

BTW, if you dont alread have an Airraid or K&N along with a MAS mod you might want to consider it. An easy breating intake system will also help you achieve the sound you're looking for.

Aww crap! I'm running off at the keyboard again. I hope you can use some of the info we've suggested for you. C ya round Ford man.

Old 08-30-2001 | 11:26 PM
|
The things I've noticed is that a picikup with slower gears like 4:11's compared to a pickup with 3:55's has alot louder exhaust when you let off the gas, the engine slows faster with an auto so it gets louder.

I'm not sure what my gears are in this pickup, either 3:55's or 3:73's. I have heard alot of the newer Chevies and Dodges snap, crackle pop with autos. Manuals are easy to do that with, I have a '66 Ford with a 4spd and i can make ALOT of nois with that thing.

Here is a question for you guys running True Dual straight pipes, when you let off the gas, what does it do? I'ver heard a couple people say they snap or pop.

Old 09-17-2001 | 10:36 PM
Fordman,

If ya want a loud exhaust with a popping sound when you let off and a good rumble at idle heres what I would do...most of my firends drive old fords and heres what all of them have done..

I take it you have a V8....anwats...first run headers......then run 2 inch straight pipes with 2 glasspakcs(one on each pipe)you cna get alot of different size glasspacks...most of my friends use 12 inch glasspacks..then run ur pipe straight out the back wiht tips that would give ya what ur looking for...

Later

Quick Reply: How would this sound???