86 f150 exhaust system question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014 | 08:21 AM
|
86 f150 exhaust system question

Hey hows it going guys. I've done some searching and lot of people suggest the flowmaster 40 or 44 for these trucks. I just picked up a nice 86 2wd 2door standard with 302. I know a lot of exhaust sites offer full kits for the 40 and 44 but they only go down to the 87. I'm thinking they would still work but I would like to confirm before I go and purchase one that those full kits will indeed still work on the 86 even though there for 87-94? I'm not a big ford guy but I've compared the 2 bodies and underneath before on these trucks and they look exactly the same (to my eyes). Thanks for any and all replies

Old 02-12-2014 | 08:27 PM
I wouldn't think there would much benefit in buying an expensive exhaust kit.. I would just visit your local muffler shop and have them install a 40 series... We install a ton of them and they sound great... Depends on the tips and how you want the pipes ran you should be able to get it done for $150-200... The 3.5x22" tips are the most common we use and they sound great and they are affordable..

Old 02-12-2014 | 10:02 PM
glc
To my way of thinking, exhaust systems just aren't DIY things, considering how much kits cost. For very little more you can have a pro build one and install it.

I had a catback done at my local exhaust shop for $228. They used a cheap SI/DO glasspack with a lifetime warranty and bent me dual 2.25" tailpipes with chrome tips. If I had asked, I'm sure he would have used a Fartmaster, additional charge of course.

Obviously, you won't get mandrel bent stainless steel for that kind of money.

Old 02-14-2014 | 10:42 AM
|
Thanks for the replies guys. I just got the truck in on a lift and noticed the previous owner just put a brand new catback stock exhaust on so I may end up just cutting in a muffler for now as it looks really clean right now . Thanks again!!

Quick Reply: 86 f150 exhaust system question