Looking for an affordable system...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Looking for an affordable system...

Hi everybody
Just want to start out by saying this board rocks! I never thought so many people thought the same way as I do! It seems we all love a cool sounding exhaust system. I have learned a great deal just from reading the various posts. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good affordable system for my 99 F-150 4.6L auto . I am looking for a system that will emulate the GT mustang sound with aftermarket exhausts. I understand that an H pipe type setup will help acheive this? I dont want a "ratty" sound like I've heard on many of the Rams in my area. It's hard to explain what I mean by that, but I hope y'all understand. I want a powerful sound ,throaty and as loud as possible but not like a truck with no mufflers. Hope that makes sense.
I was also wondering if it's a good idea to remove two of the four converters for better tone or would that do more harm than good as far as torque?

I'll conclude by saying I've had a couple of Chevy trucks but since I got my F-150 I doubt I'll ever have anything else. These trucks are great!

99 Red F-150
Shortbed Styleside
Regular Cab
4.6L auto

Old 08-30-2001, 07:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool Welcome

If you just want some more sound for the lowest cost, just replace the stock muffler with a good aftermarket brand and just use the stock pipes. That'll get some more sound out of it and probably pick up a few ponies at the same time. Cost you about $75-$100 installed.

Aftermarket Cat Back systems are next. Now, you can go for a single in, dual out muffler that's been engineered for our rigs. This will give you the chance to go with some really cool tips out the back or each side behind the tires. These will run some bucks. Figure on at least $300-$450 just for the parts. These will have mandrel bent pipes and all the hardware required to install in your driveway. Probably another $100 to have it installed.

In the middle is just going to a muffler shop and having them bend you up some pipe. You can still have the single in, dual out setup, but you won't have the mandrel bent pipes. These usually run from $200-$350 installed.

As far as what muffler(s) you get...................... Well, that's all going to be personal taste and preference. If "as loud as it can be" is your goal, many run NO mufflers at all. A lot like the Flowmaster 40 series. If quiet is more your style, then a FM 50, 60 or 70 would probably fit the bill.

Will it sound like a Mustang? Probalby not, unless you get a "true dual" setup with an H pipe like the Stangs run. That's just another route you can go too. Cost you more, because of the extra muffler and pipe.

Old 08-30-2001, 07:49 PM
I have a 2001 F150 super cab 5.4v8..went to the old trusty
midas muffler shop...they installed a cat back system from Raven
sounds great. two and a half inch all the way from cat. to tips.
its a single in dual out type 55, made just for the F150..
You can see and hear it on www.Goraven.com
Their vershion of the flo master. total parts and laber $317.00
worth every cent. check it out.

Old 08-30-2001, 10:00 PM
thanks for the info guys!
I am going to definately go with duels. I was expecting to spend somewhere in the $300 possibly up to $400 dollar range. I was wondering if a true dual systems with two mufflers would be louder than a catback system. I did a little research on the Flowmaster 40 and it seemed like it was what I was looking for,with a loud aggressive tone. I wonder what a setup with two of those with an H-pipe setup would cost at meineke?(I'm wanting to duplicate the mustang sound) I guess I'll have to call around. Would you guys advise a true duel system? Will it really make that much difference in loudness and tone? I am also seriously considering the raven system bobby recommended. It sound like an excellent deal. I tried to go to the site but it didn't seem to work. I really wanted to check that one out.
Thanks!!!

Old 08-31-2001, 08:12 PM
Best Sound I've ever Heard

Whatz up PeekupMan, I don't know if what your looking for is gonna come cheap, but here goes, I put a set of JBA headers on mine and got rid of the Y pipe , left the convertors on an ran true duals back a kit made by Power Effects, they make pre tuned capsules and adjustable tunable capsules , I ran it out the back with 3 inch by 10 inch Gibson Tips and as close to the cat's put a X pipe set up so you can equalize the back pressure between banks, It is the sweetest sounding Deep throaty sound I've ever heard, Sounds like you have a big block under that hood, I've tried all the other exhausts and spend alot of money troubleshooting this and I would put this set up against any out their on the market, because I haven't ever heard anything that even comes close to comparing. without headers your looking at around 500.00 with pretuned capsules if you want adjustable tunable capsules add another 200.00, you wouldn't even need headers but it just puts the icing on the cake as they say, Power Effects will work with you on pricing and try to fit your budget ,GoodLuck

Old 08-31-2001, 10:59 PM
hey flippinford!
thanx for the help! unfortunately that sounds a little steep for me though...(I'm married)hehehe... I wish she were as enthusiastic as I am about my exhaust system.heheh... Dude your system sounds awesome. Wish I could hear it run!

Old 09-01-2001, 12:23 AM
Another option(read that opinion). I'm rather fond of my Jardine cat-back. When I bought my truck (used) it had a FlowMaster 40 on it. Being an ole fart I quickly grew tired of the Drone. Sounded great til I got on the freeway for Any period of time. Then DRONE.

If interested call John Brooks at Jardine. 1-800-347-8664 ext. 224 (Pacific Time Zone) Tell him you're from F-150 online and you should be able to get their 3" single in/single out aluminized steel Cat-back at a reasonable price. $250 or less. One of the reasons I chose Jardine is Mike Troyer's (of SuperChip's) recommendation. He said he hasn't dyno'd anything that beats their HP.

Here's their url. It's not entirely up to date.

http://www.jardineproducts.com/automotive/

There's still a Little drone IMO but a lot better than the Flow and a lot nicer sounding than stock.

BEWARE! If you install system your self there is one connection on the stock system that may be a B!tch to get loose. Mine was BADLY crimped from the factory. Had to use a cutoff grinder to get the pipes loose.

Best luck in your quest.

Aside to the Webmaster. Sure wish this thing had spell check. Sure have gotten spoiled in my old age!

Quick Reply: Looking for an affordable system...