Need some input from the Roush, Airaid and Volant users!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014 | 11:26 PM
|
Need some input from the Roush, Airaid and Volant users!

soooo to put it simple, I loved the gains and acceleration I got with my k&n 77 series combined with my diablosport predator canned tune but the whistle drove me nuts so I got rid of the thing..

the guys with the roush, airaid, or Volant intakes have any of you noticed tht annoying whistle with them? or is it mainly a k&n thing. Also, with the Volant do you need a tune?? pretty sure I will but id have to get the custom tune for it which shouldn't be a problem.

just wanting your input and experiences because that whistle is so damn annoying but I love the gains! thanks guys

Old 05-01-2014 | 01:38 AM
Stock air filter will work just fine........

Old 05-02-2014 | 04:00 PM
I have the AirRAID MIT and it works fine. No whistle...

Old 05-02-2014 | 05:55 PM
Gotts mod here. no need for a fancy filter system, and it doesn't need to be tuned to not run lean.

Old 05-03-2014 | 01:49 PM
Just for gits and shiggles. ..my 4.2 has a k&n 77 also and doesn't whistle all the time but under a certain load between 2k and 4k rpms it will. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the volant and air raid and all those not come with another tube? I remember seeing an air raid and it was just a open cone filter on the end of the stock tube...which would take away the whistle I would think. And if you want a cold air intake instead of the Gotts mod then go ahead. Yes it's more money for an intake but you still get the gains and yes you need a custom tune on the 5.4 for certain years expecially.

Old 05-03-2014 | 07:06 PM
my 5.4 has a k n and it doesn't whistle at all

Old 05-03-2014 | 09:25 PM
01 f150 - 5.4 with Volant air cleaner

no noises , lost the smothered sound of the stock set up

put in , seemed to instantly get 1-2 mpg better - I took the truck for a long ride the night I put it in at 40-55 mph
according to what my edge tuner says it went from an average of 21 mpg with the stock deal to an average of 23 that night

never changed tune - can't see a reason with a still fully enclosed filter that has only slightly less restriction and a system that uses a mass air flow sensor and has "learning"
I did follow the instruction to disconnect the battery & hook it back up after the install so the computer would relearn it's parameters - which was part of the reason for the nice long mellow ride after the install

- enclosed box is the only style I'd consider - but it was a little expensive , especially shipping it to toronto

Last edited by I like Fords to; 05-03-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-03-2014 | 11:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Volant CAI and custom tuned here, no whistle, only a little bit of noise under WOT. I'm kind of disappointed with the low amount of noise I gained. Wanted more.

Have a listen, skip to 1:14 to just start the video when its floored rather than hear my blabber.

Old 05-04-2014 | 07:31 AM
Cool

I "had" the Volant with the Powercore filter on my truck. The Volant air box, at least in my case (I have an '11 Lariat 6.2), has a big hole in it's side. It's on the side between the air box and fender. It's about 3-4 inches wide, in the middle, and it runs from the overflow tank towards the front, and then around the front to the other corner. How can it be called a "Cold Air Intake" with a huge hole in it's side. It made a lot of noise, but that was it. My performance didn't improve at all, and in fact I lost gas mileage. The harmonics were terrible. After a month or so I yanked the air box. I left the intake tube, it was nice. I opened up the bottom of the stock air box for more air to enter. Then I pit it back in with a regular filter. Much Better. Gas mileage came back and improved slightly. Performance was back too.

Quick Reply: Need some input from the Roush, Airaid and Volant users!