4.2L!!!!What is the best exhaust for this engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2001, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.2L!!!!What is the best exhaust for this engine?

I,ve been told that it wouldnt matter if I got a cat back to replace my stock exhaust...What I'm looking for is minimal added HP and overall better performance!!!!Also what set-up is the best, is dual the way to go or single???Please help

Old 10-20-2001, 11:17 PM
I installed a magnaflow muffler on my 4.2 last night. It sounds good and definately flows better. I noticed that the design of the y pipe sucks, so that's on the list of things to replace. The drivers bank tube comes into the passenger side bank tube. There is a 1/8-1/4" lip all the way around at the junction. I think I'll replace that part with the flowmaster y pipe or have a custom one made.

Mitch

Old 10-26-2001, 08:05 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Lonestarmagic,

There are a couple of ways to approach this, but I would stay with a single system and not go true dual, otherwise you'll lose considerable torque, the last thing you want. Well, to be technically correct, you *could* go duals, but you would need to downsize the tubing from front to rear, make it no more than oh, say about 17/8 inches front to rear in a true dual system on a 4.2 V-6 F-150 and have it all custom done, including an X-pipe, etc. That would certainly make nice power gains and would be do-able, but kinda expensive probably.

What Mitch did was to use a Magnaflow muffler, he used a 6" round unit that gave a great sound, he posted a sound bite somewhere in a thread here recently.

In terms of getting your best result on the 4.2 V-6, you can certainly do a complete cat-back system, and if you go that route, I'd probably pick Borla, as they are one of very few systems that makes an engine with less than 8 cylinders sound attractive instead of like just another buzz-bomb. Nice tone, decent power gains, never too loud & won't "drone" inside the cabin. The better cat-back exhaust systems will get about a 10 horsepower gain on your 4.2 V-6, so it's not like it's "not worth doing", it's just a matter of your budget & how you decide to approach this.

Or, you can approach this like Mitch has, and replace the muffler with a good Magnaflow unit, run your tailpipe out the back however you want to, and then approach the Y-pipe separately.

If you'd like to go over this in detail, please feel free to give us a call.

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 10-26-2001 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-31-2001, 01:23 PM
My previous truck was a 99' supercab 4.2l and the best modification i did was to trade it in for a 5.4l with ravin's. Just kidding a friend if mine is running SI\SO dynomax ultraflow and it gave a better sound and some gains in HP\Torque hope this helps good luck in your mods tell us how it turns out!

Old 11-14-2001, 09:34 AM
4.2 exaust

when i redid the exaust on my 4.2, i clamped on a cherry bomb turbo si\so, and a 45 degree bent pipe. it sounds great, and exits out the passenger side in front of the tire. the whole thing cost about $30, and only took about two hours

Old 11-15-2001, 01:07 AM
ok this is my exhaust it sounds kinda funky because i ran the microphone outside and my truck was in the drive way so it's a good 15 feet. Flowmaster SI/DO 40 series delta flow.

Old 01-03-2002, 09:40 PM
Will316,

You forgot to include the soundbite. I would like to hear it. I am trying to decide on an exhaust for my truck.

Quick Reply: 4.2L!!!!What is the best exhaust for this engine?