Soundbite of 4.2L with Magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2001 | 03:47 AM
|
Soundbite of 4.2L with Magnaflow

I installed a Magnaflow muffler on my 2001 4.2L F-150. The muffler is model #12640, which is the 6" round unit with a 27" body. I purchased the muffler from Mike Troyer.

I ended up cutting the factory pipe just after the y pipe junction and just after the factory muffler. I removed about 45" of crap. The factory muffler was 32" and there was the counterweight and the bends associated with it. Basically I straightened out a fair amount of the exhaust. I put in an 18" piece of 2.5" pipe between the y pipe cut and the muffler, then a 5" piece behind the new muffler. I welded the 18" pipe onto the muffler, and the 5" piece onto the exit pipe. I clamped at the y connection and at the rear of the muffler. I decided where to clamp or weld based on possible future changes. I made hangers that use the factory hanger brackets.

The complete product looks good. I was surprised at the sound when I fired it up. It sounds interesting, definately nothing like a V8 when I rev it up. It kind of sounds like an exotic sports car. Nothing like the fart sound of a gay Honda, but distinctive. I can tel that the engine is now working less to do its normal work. It seems to get up to speed a bit easier, and is faster overall. I can hear it while cruising, it's not obnoxious like a flowmaster drone though.

I posted a soundbite on my web site. The address is: http://bigwoodfabrication.20m.com/My_Bronco/truck3.wav

Mitch

Old 12-30-2001 | 10:45 PM
Can you attach that sound file to a reply. Don't have permission to access the website.

Thanks

Old 01-01-2002 | 01:29 PM
Yea i cant access it either. Ive been trying to find a sound clip of a 4.2 with a Magnaflow on it. I have a Flowmaster and its just way to loud when i get on it or rev it up. It sounds good for normal driving but its just too loud and high pitched.

Old 01-01-2002 | 02:00 PM
Question Any other 4.2 V6 exhaust soundbites?

I found the Magnaflow soundbite. You have to go to his website. You find it under the 'My Bronco' section.

Old 01-01-2002 | 08:05 PM
Just go to :

http://bigwoodfabrication.20m.com

and then click on my Bronco and you should be able to listen to it that way without the permissions error.

Quick Reply: Soundbite of 4.2L with Magnaflow