Technical Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2001 | 04:25 PM
|
Technical Questions

Hey guys!
What is the difference betweeen two mufflers, a DI/DO mufflers or a SI/DO muffler setup, sound and performance wise? What defines true duals? Is putting a flowmaster Y-pipe after the stock Y-Pipe essentially the same thing as an X-Pipe? Thanks for any input guys! P.S. sorry about the depth of the questions...
-Mark

Old 11-25-2001 | 10:35 PM
Cool CarMan-

True duals are 2) completely separate pipes that run from each bank/exhaust manifold of your engine. This setup can be configured with 2) SI/SO mufflers or 1)DI/DO muffler; an X pipe can also be included between each pipe. Sound is quieter with 2) similar mufflers over one and performance will be based on flow. The FM Y- Pipe is a modification that replaces the factory Y- intersection on a single pipe setup.

Old 11-26-2001 | 08:13 PM
|
Talking

Max Mitchell,
Thanks for replying man I'd asked this question a few imes already in other forums and noone seemed to know.... Anyways, that's weird that one muffler is the loudest. I always thought trucks with true duals sounded louder than my friends FM 40 SI/SO but whatever. Thanks again man! -Mark

Old 11-27-2001 | 04:25 PM
Thumbs up CarMan-

You're Welcome!!

If a single or dual setup uses the same type muffler, the "muffling" is greater where 2 are present.

Quick Reply: Technical Questions