Will running true duals void my warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001 | 04:07 PM
|
Will running true duals void my warranty?

I just bought a 2002 SCREW, and want to run dual exhaust. I visited several muffler shops to get quotes and info. One shop said he would run true duals but I would have to sign a waiver, because doing this will void my warranty on the exhaust manifold back?? I have never heard of this, but I dont do this kind of work everyday like he does. I would like everyone elses feedback and or experience with this!!!!

Old 11-25-2001 | 08:47 PM
I had the same question when I decided to put an aftermarket exhaust system on my new truck. I went to my dealer's service dept and put the question to the mechs there. They did not feel it would void the warranty and pretty much summed up by saying it was a dealers call. The mechs said a local dealer may honor a warranty and then another in a different town may not...
Bottom line ask your dealer and get his response.
If your really concerned just wait until your warranty expires. Hope this helps you out and good luck!

Old 11-25-2001 | 09:55 PM
Thumbs up

Just do it from the Cat's back. Should be no problem. Just expect a minor drop in low end torque. Otherwise it's a good mod. Obviously Ford will not warranty the exhaust system anymore as it has been modified. Should not effect any other parts.

Good Luck.

Old 11-26-2001 | 09:02 PM
|
Just in case anyone else has this question, I talked to the service manager at my dealership, and he said that a cat back system would in no way affect the warranty. However a true dual set up would, because I would have to cut the existing pipe from the manifold, and that is not considered an upgrade, it is an alteration. This will void all warrantys on your ENGINE also!!! This scared the crap out of me so I decided on a SI/DO system!

Old 11-27-2001 | 04:30 PM
Thumbs down Derek-

Dealerships in general are full of it. If you have a question, you will get a different answer at each one. Your engine's warranty will not be void by installing duals or any kind of exhaust that is installed behind the cats (which any type of exhaust can be) unless the modification is proven to cause the warranted engine damage. The likelihood of any proper exhaust installation behind the cats causing this damage would be almost zero.

Old 11-29-2001 | 09:04 PM
Derek Ringer,
How can you have an X-pipe with a SI/DO setup? I thought all SI/DO had to be Y's?

Old 11-29-2001 | 11:51 PM
|
OOOPS, It is a Y-pipe, I dont know what I did, I guess I was typing too fast!! I wanted to do the true duals with an x-pipe or a H pipe, but got scared by possibly voiding my warranty!!!

Old 11-30-2001 | 01:26 AM
Re: Will running true duals void my warranty?

Originally posted by Derek Ringer
..snip..
One shop said he would run true duals but I would have to sign a waiver, because doing this will void my warranty on the exhaust manifold back
..snip..
Sounds to me like the kind of shop you would want to stay away from. If they make alterations before your cats when there isn't damage they are violating VA laws. Not that it doesn't happen, I know. But by making you sign a waiver they are documenting this fact.

Be careful in this area, I've heard some real stupid crap from some of the "reputable" shops! When I was considering Supertrapps, I had one of the local 4x4 shop guys try to convince me that any packed muffler is illegal, but he just happend to have some Flow 40s that would fit right on! One year I got my truck inspected at a muffler shop and they tried to tell me my system wasn't legal and came up with some minimum muffler size crap. I asked them to show me that in writing since I knew without doubt that at the time VA didn't have any law that required mufflers at all. Bozos!

From what I've seen in this area, I wouldn't consider letting most of these guys near my truck. I put my Gibson on myself, and I've already had one local place try to tell me it's not legal. Double Bozo!

Old 11-30-2001 | 11:30 PM
|
Signmaster:

I see you are also in Va. Beach! I had The Muffler Shop on Holland Rd. do mine They did a great job. I would recommend them to anyone. I would do it myself, but my philosophy is that Ive busted my knuckles, spent hours upon hours laying under my vehicles trying to fix them in all weather, because I couldnt afford to have someone do it for me. But now I can afford to let someone else do it, so thats exactly what Im going to do.

Old 12-01-2001 | 12:42 AM
Derek,

Good choice. Those guys do good work and have good prices also. I had them do some work on my last truck, and often get my inspections there. One of the only places I've found locally that I have any faith in. The Firestone just past Rosemont on Holland Rd is also very good.

As for busting knuckles.... I don't know what it is, but I still like doing a lot of it myself. I have to admit it's not as much fun as it used to be, but I still actually look forward to it.

Old 12-09-2001 | 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Derek Ringer
However a true dual set up would, because I would have to cut the existing pipe from the manifold

just a general question, did they change the exhaust setup in the 02? because on my 99 I wouldn't have to make any cuts 'till after the cats for a true dual, and if that is the case, how is it different from doing any exhaust upgrade?

Old 12-12-2001 | 08:14 PM
Thumbs up

Perform a key word search on The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act on this site. I posted a long reply on this very subject in the past. I researched it extensively when I was considering true duals.

Old 12-12-2001 | 11:38 PM
To sum it up, the only warranty void will be on the exhaust system itself. Nothing else.

Good luck.

Old 12-13-2001 | 01:10 AM
Derek Ringer

Sounds like you have a good dealer with some sense. You're lucky! At least he was truthful in his explanation and most of all, he was sensible!

Quick Reply: Will running true duals void my warranty?