Gibson s/s -vs- dynomax super turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001 | 06:23 PM
|
Gibson s/s -vs- dynomax super turbo

Does anyone have any experience with these 2 muffler's or system's. Sound diff. ? Performance diff ?
TIA .....Mike

Old 11-25-2001 | 08:26 PM
I've got and love my Gibson Swept Side, if that's the "s/s" you mean.

Click on the link in my sig to go hear some sound bites. It's changed over time and just sounds better. That was when it was new. However, the recording by the tail pipe sounds louder than it is in my opinion.

It's just enough over stock you can tell a difference. When I first installed it, I couldn't tell a difference at first.

Old 11-26-2001 | 12:40 AM
I just had a Gibson SI/DO Swept Side put on and I'm really loving it. Much better performance and the sound isn't annoyingly loud.

Wish I could say the same for 2 trucks that were next to me in traffic today. Both had duals out the back of the truck (under the bumper), but were extremely loud. I also noticed that they both had hitches - something that Gibson doesn't recommend if your exhaust are duals to the bumper. Oh yeah - the trucks were a Dodge Ram and a GMC.

Old 11-26-2001 | 07:45 AM
RAPIER

Rapier,

You have the Gibson SI/DO Dual Sport truck setup? I'd love to hear some sound clips from it if you have them.

I just finished listening to sound clips from the single out, swept side on FamilyRide's Expedition and it sounds real nice. I like the way he recorded clips both at the tailpipe and from within the cab with windows down.

I'm having a tough time deciding on the s/o swept side or d/o dual sport truck. I want the deep, throaty sound but not a real loud exhaust and love the look of the two pipes exiting behind the rear wheel. I'm just a little hesitant about the d/o as the Gibson tech told me it is about another 2-3 db louder than the s/o.

If you have any sound clips, please post a link. Thanks!

Natty

Old 11-26-2001 | 10:04 AM
SI/DO

Yep, I went with the SI/DO because I liked the look too. The noise isn't loud at all. In fact, she's louder when she's cold and then mellows as the system get warmer. (Don't we all?!)

I highly recommend the system. The only problem that I ran into was that the bolt head that ties the dual pipes together at the rear wasn't given enough clearance. As I was having the installation done by a professional muffler & exhaust shop, they tried their best and then when they showed me the problem, I told them just to weld the brackets together. This also eliminated any possible issue of the bolt coming loose later.

Oh, one other pointer: When you have your system put together, either take it to a shop or if you have the equipment, spot weld the stainless steel tips to the pipe. Apparently there are some folks out there that recognize that the tips are running $30 a piece and are stealing them if they are only clamped on.

Lastly, how the heck does one create a clip? I guess I'd have to find a tape recorder with a microphone and then patch it into my sound board after recording. I'll see if I can find a tape recorder around the house. If I do, I'll put a clip up. I'll warn ya though - she's pretty quiet!

Old 11-26-2001 | 10:49 AM
Smile

Thanks Rapier.....just the description you gave me is enough to make me jump. IMO, another 1-2 db is really nothing and I really do love the d/o look. The Gibson tech says the d/o really doesn't resonate into the cab at all...unless you really get on it.

Calling to order mine! :-)

Natty

Old 12-03-2001 | 09:26 AM
Buy ANYTHING but Gibson

If you want a little big block rumble, get something else
I can hardly hear any rumble at idle.

Quick Reply: Gibson s/s -vs- dynomax super turbo