Are duals a bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are duals a bad idea?

I've only had my 99 F-150 for less than 3 months. So I don't know much about the do's and the don't with it just yet. I want to get a new exhaust system. I was thinking about the Flowmaster or the Borla systems. I have read afew of the threads on here. Some people mention the loss of power with a dual rear exit system. Is this a great concern? I don't haul much or tow anything. And like I've read, I also don't want the Bubba type truck with the cheap sounding exhaust. Any ideas?

Old 12-21-2001, 12:46 AM
I HAVE A FLOWMASTER 40 SERIES SI/DO (SINGLE IN, DUAL OUT) EXHAUST ON MINE. I THINK IT COST ME $175 WITH TIPS OUT THE DOOR. IT SOUNDS NICE AND I HAVE NO COMPLAINTS. JUST MY $.02

Old 12-21-2001, 02:29 AM
Flowmaster....

Are the Flowmasters loud inthe truck? I know this isn't a good comparison, but I had a 97 Taurus SHO with Borla on it and it was loud. It made me get on it more often. I want some sound but not too much.

Old 12-21-2001, 02:41 PM
I have single in and dual out the Rear with my 1999 F-150 Off Road Package. I have the glasspack system....

If you are want a good tone and looks I really like mine...
Mine Rumbles real good and when you get on it...It friggin RoaRS!!!!!!

I have the 24 inch 304 stainless tip horns on the back!!!

It is a very good sounding and looking exhuast system, I get comments all the time..... My wife can here me coming...

My .02 cents

Any other qustions just ask

Mine cost around $250.00 from ford....

Old 12-21-2001, 03:40 PM
The Flowmaster is'nt to loud in the truck, but you know it's there at idle and when you rev it up. I have the original Flowmaster 40, which is louder than the Delta-flow 40 series. There is a little resonance(cab drone) with mine, but it doesn't get to the point where it's irritable. If you want it loud outside, and quiet on the inside of the cab, get the Delta-flow series muffler(s).

Old 12-21-2001, 05:15 PM
People talk about the back pressure. Is there a loss of back pressure? Is there a reason to be conerned?

Old 12-21-2001, 05:21 PM
What is does is make the flow alot more free flowing, But in return you get more HP but lose some torque...

Nothing that is going to cause such a big deal or notice (at least I did not notice)

I think it is the only way to go,, We all by these big V8's and they are so tuned and held back in power... These mods let the engine start being the beast it is....

I would highly advise going with a upgraded exhuast...Just choose what sound level you want, and brand or so what ..
And go with it

As long as you are happy with the looks and sound you cant go wrong with a free flowing exhaust, Then you can open the front end with an airraid or airforce one... Then it will really breathe

Just my experience!!

Old 12-21-2001, 07:49 PM
here's a suggestion for you, why not just run straight pipes? they aren't really any louder than the FM40's and you save the money. do what you want, it's your truck. i went with straight pipes thinking i would probably add a muffler, no chance. watch the size of your pipes. i started with 2 1/2" and went back and got 2 1/4". i got all my low-end back along with a great sound. our trucks have 4 cats on them, i'm not too worried about losing any backpressure. good luck, Rich.

Old 12-31-2001, 01:17 AM
my .02,
i think that straight pipes are a hell of alot louder than flows.
i have true dual flowmaster 40 series (original not delta flow) and mine has a deep tone but not as loud. its the third exhaust setup ive had besides stock. first i had the staight 2 1/2 in pipes right after the converters, got tired of having the cops give me grief so i went to a si/do flo pro turned down. was a little quieter than my pipes, but i wanted a deeper tone. i also wanted more flow so i cut off my y pipe and ran true duals off of my headers, i would always use flowmasters and i love the old 40 series.

Old 12-31-2001, 12:55 PM
maybe where you live they are a lot louder, not in my town though. i listened to diferent exhaust for 6 months before going with the straight pipes. also, i was thinking the whole time i'll add a muffler later if it's too loud.

the 40's do sound good, but i saw no reason to buy a muffler when it isn't needed. some say it's too loud, and it does roar if you get into it pretty hard. just normal driving is not a problem. i've never had any problems from police, of course most everyone around here runs straight pipes, including the guys with the badges. later, Rich.

Old 01-01-2002, 04:10 PM
Thanks for all your input guys. I'm on a Fire Dept and acouple guys had straight pipes. (but on Chevys) And people would complain about the noise a 3 am. So I'm going to get a a single in and dual out. I'm going ot go with a Flowmaster. Just need to pick between the 40 series and the 50. I had a 88 Mustang with flowmasters. Would the 40 series give it that type of sound? I know it hard to compare a car to a truck.

Old 01-01-2002, 08:12 PM
i havent seen a si/do 40 series which is a two chamber flow. the only si/do i have seen are a three chamber like a 50 or other, my two cents is if im goin to put mufflers on why not run true duals and cut off that restrictive y pipe we have. i have the true duals off my headers and i love them

Old 01-03-2002, 05:19 PM
I'd go with a tru dual exaust. Either Flowmaster 40s or Ravin 33s. Depending on which one is cheaper at the moment, as they both sound the same. If you want really loud, go with a Flowmaster 30 or a Spintech pro mod. Run hi-flow cats to keep it legal, and you shouldn't set any codes.

Quick Reply: Are duals a bad idea?