Gibson FYI

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001 | 09:16 PM
|
Angry Gibson FYI

I recently purchased the Gibson side swept exhaust for my 2001 F 150 Supercrew.
First off, the instructions were wrong.
Second, I called Gibson's tech support for advice, but got voice mail. I left a message, they never called back.
Third, the exhaust rear hanger does not mount up correctly to the truck. After over an hour of adjustments, I got it close, but had to drill a hole through the hanger, then place a washer and cotter pin on tip to keep it from sliding out of the rubber hanger.
Needless to say, I was not at all pleased with my Gibson experience!

Old 12-27-2001 | 10:38 PM
re: Gibson probs

Hey Gunner,

I had ordered a Gibson Dual Sport for my '01 Scab and when install time came....I had one problem after another. Like you said, hangers not lining up but also couldn't get the two pipes to clear the rear shock. Unlike your experience, I got right through to a tech who had me try a few things but still no luck. I ended up shipping the Dual Sport back and installing a Sweptside which fit like a glove on my truck. I know of another guy who had install problems with the Sweptside but it was on an older model truck.

I'm not surprised that there were some problems during install...I am very surprised to hear there were customer service problems! Acutally the first customer service complaint I've read. I hope this isn't the start of a new era for Gibson.

Natty

Old 01-02-2002 | 11:03 PM
super truck

hey guys,

i got a gibson super truck not that long ago. i looked underneath my truck and i could see it was going to be a pain in the ***. so i simply elected to spend the 65 bones and let someone else worry about it.

A

Old 01-04-2002 | 01:51 PM
My Gibson exhaust fit badly, but I decided to let a pro do it from the start. I was glad I did, he spent an hour trying to get the stock exhaust off and finally cut it off. He though I wanted to save the old parts??? The truck only had 67 miles on it...

The Gibson kit lined up like crap, I mean it was really bad. I don't think any sane engineer would have said it was the correct kit. Once he got everything adjusted, and tightened it turned out to fit good, but it took a pro to do it. I paid about $375 for the kit and $50 for the install and was shocked at the fit, but the quality is awesome.

I love Gibson and was really disappointed by this experience. The sound was good just way to quiet...

Old 01-04-2002 | 08:34 PM
Gibson fit

I had a Gibson Side Swept installed last week. I let a pro shop do the work...and boy was I glad. The fit is super except for the super close fit next to my spare tire. The shop even took off the OEM exhaust as one unit! Any on need a new OEM exhaust?

The Gibson sounds great and looks good too. Sorry to hear you guys had bad times with the units. Of course I was chicken to try to install it myself!

Old 01-05-2002 | 11:12 PM
I wasn't pleased with the install of the Gibson on my truck. I actually made the Dual Sport work on the SCrew myself. Here's a few problems I encountered:

1. I followed instruction too well. The instruction sheet I received said cut 17" from the front of the muffler. I did that but then Gibson saif Ford made the mufflers longer on 2001. I had to get an 8" pipe to close the space in the exhaust. I was pissed to have the little aluminum pipe after spending so much on the stainless steel kit!

2. I had a hard time getting the muffler hanger to work. It is still at a bad angle and doesn't hang right.

3. The pipes don't clear the shock enough. I had to tie the pipes over with wire until I could get the exhaust welded up and scrap the clamps for more space.

4. As if this isn't enough already, the pipes cross over and touch each other. Whenever my truck is idling, the pipes resonate on each other. I guess I will have to get them welded at that spot.

Everyone knows how tight the space is with the SuperCrew having the reverse shock and all. I still managed to install a Hellwig rear swaybar with the Gibson Dual Sport Exhaust... (Don't ask me how I did it...)

Old 01-07-2002 | 02:34 AM
hmm... well, let me put it this way... I've got the flowmaster stage 50 SI/DO catback system, thats supposedly designed for my truck. well, I ordered it and it all came with some decent instructions, and the craftsmaship was second to none (all the pipes are stainless), but one thing REALLY bugs me. The left side had absolutely NO hangar! it wasnt even in the instructions or included blueprints! its just supposed to support itself off of the hangar that holds the back end of the muffler on. Now, granted that theres not much on the left side, but certainly there was somewhere between where it crosses the axle on the left side, and the tip of the exhaust, they could have found something! Luckily, I saw how much of a pain it would be to install and weld (without leaks), so I ended up forking over 70 bones to the local mineke shop, and he actually fabbed one up for me and mounted it to my receiver hitch mount... so I dont have one of those street rats that you see on the highway that have one (or both) of their exhaust tips hanging down and bouncing.

Old 01-07-2002 | 12:36 PM
I did my installation. I think the Super Truck is easier to install than the SweptSide or the Split rear. I think I will weld it since it keeps loosening at the connection. The other day I broke a clamp looking for a tighter fit.

Old 01-09-2002 | 01:43 PM
gibson

I received the Gibson sweptside yesterday. I was too chicken to try it myself so i took it to Meineke. boy was i glad. the instructions were lousy, the pipes did not line up and the clamps that came with it were poor quality. Once it was on it sounds great.

Old 01-09-2002 | 02:31 PM
I had never done muffler or exhaust work prior to ordering my Gibson Dual Sport..

I was nervous to try it based on information that I had read on this board..

However, I layed everything out on my garage floor and put the entire new exhaust together.. It took awhile to get the old exhaust off and to get the new exhaust in, but probably more because I was trying to be careful rather than because I had a problem getting it to fit..

I did, however, need to lower the spare tire, and push it over to the drivers side some to make room for the 2 pipes between the spare and the shock..

I'm extremely happy with the result!!

Old 01-09-2002 | 10:38 PM
Gibson Sweptside

I didn't have a problem installing my Gibson Sweptside.
I'm pleased with the fit of the exhaust.

Old 01-10-2002 | 03:47 PM
Hey expy,

So tell me about your install. How long did it take? Done with help or by yourself? Fairly simply? Mine is in and putting it on this weekend.

Old 01-10-2002 | 11:31 PM
Wow, I had to post to this one. It'll make my 749th post about Gibson I did mine and it was fine, as far as exhaust goes. Exhaust isn't easy to mess with. It's well worth %50 to $75 to have someone else do it just because it's a pain.

Mine, went on fine. Had to readjust simply because I didn't get it lined up exactly right the first time. Everything fit great! I love mine and it's been almost a year!

Old 01-13-2002 | 05:18 AM
Talking bmsgolf

Took about three hours. The hard part was removing the OEM exhaust. I had to split the stock pipe with a Dremel tool to get it off.

Good luck

Old 01-26-2002 | 12:49 AM
I installed a Gibson Side Swept on my old 97. Fit was horrible. Talked to reps for over 1 hour w/ no viable solution. Had to take to have the tailpipe "re-bent" at a custom shop. Gibson would not reply when I inquired about restitution for the extra work that had to be done.

If you haven't bought one yet, and want to stay in the same price range, go w/ Flowmaster! Better fit. Less Hassle. IMHO better sound, too.

Quick Reply: Gibson FYI