low end torque

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002 | 09:31 AM
|
torque

Hi all,

I have been trying to read up on you past discussions to figure out what type of exhaust system muffler and headers to install on my (98 f150 4.6 5speed).

I'm not to concerned about how it will sound as long is Its not to loud, but I would like to gain low end torque and some hp. I do quite a bit of towing as well.

Also what type of air intake kit do you recommend. and would a mass air flow sensor help these mods? will I need to re-configure the computer?

As you can tell I have a lot of questions but I'm trying to learn.

Thanks for you help.

THK

Last edited by Tony Kilislian; 01-09-2002 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-09-2002 | 07:32 PM
torque

Look at the Pacesetter Predator system. They are manufactured in Phoenix AZ. It is a 3" mandrel bent system almost identical to the Gibson and others but is $199 for the aluminized system thru J.C.Whitney and has free shipping right now. I just installed mine and love it. Low throaty rumble but not too loud in the cab. I have ordered their Air F/X intake system also and can't wait for it to arrive. I already had a K&N replacement filter and was astounded at the improved throttle respone it gave me.

Old 01-10-2002 | 10:38 PM
With high end HP increases, inevitably, you may lose some low end torque (that's why VVT was developed to over come it)

I suggest that you get an X-piped true dual exhaust (vs. an H-pipe configuration). Dynomax seems to have nice high-flow mufflers that aren't much louder than stock. If you get resonator tips, it'll make it quieter.

X-pipe info

As for the air intake, IMHO you should just do the airbox mod and if that isn't good enough for you, then consider an air intake system.

Old 01-10-2002 | 11:17 PM
If you tow, don't want loud, and want to help or at least not hurt low end, I'd reccomend the Gibson Swept Side. I can't vouch for the system mentioned earlier but I can the gibson. Mike Troyer likes the Magnaflow a lot as well (see him in the computer chip forum). For what you are looking for, don't mess with duals IMO.

Quick Reply: low end torque