High Performance Catalytic Converters

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002 | 01:04 PM
|
Smile High Performance Catalytic Converters

What are this boards thoughts on High performance catalytic converters? For example:

http://www.carparts.com/parts/newsea...link=0-0-0-0-0

This is just an example I pulled from a website, but I have seen them available for my truck. Do they offer any real performance benefits? Do they muffle the sound? Anybody have any experience with them? I have been curious for quite some time, thanks!

Old 01-15-2002 | 04:09 PM
From what I understand and I maybe incorrect , is that the stock cats are responsible for most of the back pressure needed to maintain the low end performance.

Old 01-15-2002 | 06:14 PM
Yeah, when I did my exhaust everybody said to not screw with the cats at all since you do need some back pressure so you don't lose all your low end and that the factory cats on the late model exhaust installs were efficient as is. Not only that but I also discovered that a lot of exhaust/muffler shops won't touch anything that even smells like you're trying to bypass any emissions systems or controls so if you wanted to screw with those you would probably be on your own.

Old 01-18-2002 | 01:11 PM
|
I was hoping to hear some good news on these. But now I know, thanks guys...They seemed pretty logical at the time. I was hoping not only for a little performance increase from them, but better sound also.

Quick Reply: High Performance Catalytic Converters