ACK!! Custom exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002 | 01:10 AM
|
ACK!! Custom exhaust question

I know a local shop that has a machine to bend exhaust pipes. What I'm thinking, to make installation that much easier, is to purchase a length of 3" SS and a muffler of my choice, then allowing the shop to just duplicate the shape of the stock exhaust and put that in. I suppose the best way to know is just ask them but I'd figure I would ask now while I'm thinking about it. As far as the muffler goes, I was thinking about a Gibson muffler to keep it quiet because this is going on a work truck that is around $4 million homes and the people rarely like hearing a monster truck roaring down the driveway

I own a 2001 F250 reg cab 4x4 w/the 5.4 V8 and I like the reports on Gibson exhausts the most but want to avoid any wacky problems in the many years to come just because an aftermarket system had to be jerry-rigged somehow. Gotta do it right and gotta do it once

Old 01-17-2002 | 04:23 AM
The problem here is that most shops use a ram type bender. It really reduces the inside diameter of the tubing. My guess is that by the time they were done bending the 3" tubing around your axle it would be the same size as the stock unit. An inexpensive mod is just changing the stock muffler and keeping the tailpipe.

Quick Reply: ACK!! Custom exhaust question