X Pipe Bad Boy Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002 | 11:50 AM
This is a good thread!

I appreciate your feedback & dyno runs on the 2.5" pipes.

I am likely going to get a Spintech true-dual's system w/ the Dr. Gas X-pipe before the month is out. In talking w/ them, they said dual 2.25" pipes is the way to go w/ these Fords, and that 2.5" pipes would hurt performance. I was a little worried, but after considering your experience, I think I will stick w/ the 2.25" pipes w/ my 5.4L.

Old 02-11-2002 | 05:26 PM
Flats/Crash/Neal-

I was calling around "trying" to locate the X-pipe and I was told by 2 of the shops that I talked to said that I really did not need a X 0r Y-pipe. That gettting a true dual setup would be just as good.
One even said that the newer trucks/cars did not need to have a balanced exhaust like the older model use to.

What are your thoughts?

Old 02-11-2002 | 08:43 PM
|
Cool

Hey Way2big, One thing you will find is that there is all kinds of different info out there. I made more HP with a single in dual out than with this X pipe combo. If you have a single in dual out, then I say you need the Y pipe! If you have true duals, the X may be an advantage. I know it works on the 4.6L Mustangs. Since my systen is too open, I am installing tunable traps with 8 sets of plates to tune the exhaust. You should talk to Neal since he has the 5.4L and is making some real good HP.

Old 02-12-2002 | 03:20 AM
Thanks Flats!

Hey Neal, what setup are you running?

Old 02-12-2002 | 10:07 AM
Thumbs up

There is a Spintech Ford install in the newest Truckin Mag. They never mentioned the engine size but from the 200.8 HP baseline, I am guessing it's a 5.4. They bolted on the side exit GTS system with the Dr. Gas X pipe, and it made almost 17 HP, and 24 lb. ft. of torque on the dyno. That's pretty impressive if you ask me. I mean, it was only an exhaust system swap,,,,98

Old 02-13-2002 | 02:28 AM
Flatsman or anyone else

I am still possibly thinking about a x pipe setup. I think since Flats findings I would go with 2.25 or even 2in pipe with a more restrictive muffler (?what muffler to use?) on my 97 4.6L.

To tell you the truth I would be happy with any good sounding setup as long as I DIDN't loose any or much low end. My truck already feels weak with the bigger tires and 133K on the motor. Now, can anybody recommend something new to me?

Old 02-13-2002 | 07:58 AM
|
Cool

I think the 2.25 pipes would be good on the 4.6L but again it depends on how much back pressure is in the muffler you choose. If you choose a muffler with a lot of back pressure, then you could probably run the 2.5 pipes. I am running some tests with exhaust traps right now that should be interesting. Check out "Custom Exhaust Traps." on this board.

Old 02-19-2002 | 09:44 AM
Flats-

It was suggested to me that I "could" run pipes from both cats into a DI/DO muffler w/o a x-pipe. I seen on MagnaFlows web site that they have mufflers with a built in H pipe configuration.

Had you thought about this before? Trying to size up what "options" I have. Thanks!

Last edited by Way2Big; 02-19-2002 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-19-2002 | 07:51 PM
|
Cool

No, I haven't seen that set up yet. I don't know what the magic formula is but I am happy that I can finally tune my exhaust for torque and Horse Power!

Old 02-20-2002 | 06:51 AM
Flats, keep on the good job. We will follow.

Old 02-20-2002 | 08:51 AM
|
Cool

Thanks JMTruck-Over on my Exhaust Traps thread, I just posted some findings about torque and Horse power that you and Way2big might like. It is towards the end of the third page and covers three dynos that I ran on Monday with different restrictors. I got my torque and HP back by using these plates in my exhaust tips. If you are too open, then this is way better than replacing the system! If you are too closed, then this will not help.

Old 02-28-2002 | 02:05 PM
has anyone changed their cam timing and used an X-pipe?

Aren't trucks using a cam timing that gives a better amount of low end torque @ the expense of high end HP?

Old 02-28-2002 | 03:18 PM
|
Cool

Corpsie, the info I got on cams was that one of the big cam companies tried many different lift and duration combos on the 98 and older heads. On the dyno, they were only able to produce around 3 more HP than the stock Ford cams due to head flow. I checked into putting Lightning cams into my 4.6L, which can be done if you have a Windsor motor, but the yield would be practically nothing and changing cams is no easy job! The best way for 98 and older to gain more HP is the newer 99 and up heads and cams. Even with all the mods on my truck, the newer engines are putting out higher numbers because of the better flowing heads and cams that go with them. Hope this helps!

Old 02-28-2002 | 05:01 PM
Sure, PI heads would be a sweet mod on a 4.6 but what do you do for an intake manifold?

The HP freak posted some pics of the two heads (PI/nonPI) side by side a while back and the intake ports are really different.

Even if you were ambitious enough to swap the PI heads onto a 4.6 you woul still need an intake manifold for the PI/4.6 combo and none exists! You would have to build your own one off intake I guess

I wonder what the payoff would be in terms of HP gains for all your troubles?? *whine,whine,whine* Why does'nt ford just build one for us.

Old 02-28-2002 | 08:15 PM
was the problem with the X-pipe the exhaust diameter or ____?

I imagine that the X-pipe can be optimized if pipe diameter is decreased or somethin'

Quick Reply: X Pipe Bad Boy Exhaust