Size of stock pipe on SD?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Size of stock pipe on SD?????

I read that the pipe is 3" stock on the 5.4. for the Superduty

1) Is this true?

2) Is it the entire stock cat-back or just the stock tailpipe?

3)Would there be a point to replacing the entire cat-back, other than getting SS, or should I just do the muffler if it truly is all 3"?

4) Can I get a 3" SI/SO muffler?

5) Who makes the best muffler for this application?

I've been racking my brain with these questions, please help me fill in the blanks. Thank you

Old 01-29-2002, 05:17 AM
I believe it is 3" on the V8. I really don't see the need to buy a cat-back system if you don't want to. There are many aftermarket mufflers that have 3" sizes. Dynomax Super Turbo or Race Magnum, Flowmaster, Magnaflow.. you name it. Take a look at the inlet and outlet locations of the stock muffler and buy one that is close. A shop will most likely have to weld it in for ya.

Old 01-30-2002, 01:14 PM
thewhiteford.

We meet again, I checked mine on my 2002 F-250SD 5.4 and it is 3" from the cat back so you will need a 3" in/out muffler.

Have you decided on what your going to get?
I'm still leaning toward the Flowmaster Delta 40 SI/SO.

Last edited by phildacf150; 01-30-2002 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:38 PM
Well actually, because it is a work truck I am considering the Flowmaster Delta 50 SI/SO. The people whose homes I work on don't get the same "feeling" from hearing the rumble of a V8. They'd much rather drive around in their "twice as big as needed" suvs or go pamper their mid-life crisis shiny sports car that sits in the garage collecting dust rather than miles . I already have the K&N FIPK (not too impressed) and I just installed the Superchip (impressed). I'll be posting once I have an exhaust in. SUPERDUTY RULES!!!

Old 01-31-2002, 04:04 PM
thewhiteford,

Think I'm going to go with the Delta Flow 50 SI/SO, not to sure how loud the DF40 will be so to be on the safe side I'll get the DF 50. Also How did you like your superchip? What all was involved to install it, Cleaning contacts, taking out computer?

Let me know, I am really interested in hearing from someonw with the same truck as mine. 2001-2002 F-250 SD 4x4 5.4V8.

Thanks,

Old 01-31-2002, 09:19 PM
Hey phildacf150,
Well here's the skinny on the Superchip.......I LOVE IT!! It has to be the best bolt-on mod out there. Here's what I did:
Before the chip came in, I filled up with 93 octane, which is the highest common fuel around here. This way, the correct fuel would already be going through the truck and I wouldn't have to wait to feel the effects. Also to give a better comparison of before and after. I ordered the chip from Performance products for $225, very easy to do, and I payed to overnight it. The instructions that came from Perf Prod were for every ford truck and suv EXCEPT the SD! It said the cp was on the passenger side under the dash and the harness would be located next to the battery under the hood. Completely wrong. After tearing panels apart and searching for 2 hrs, I was about to give up. I emailed Superchips to find out where it was. They told me the same BS the instructions did. Then someone on this forum told me it is on the driver's side in a black plastic "sleeve". When I looked again, I was overjoyed to see the grey 6x9 cp sitting right where he said under the dash on the left wall. Now what I had to do was unbolt the sleeve(2 small screws) and disconnect the cp from its harness via a 10mm bolt on the engine side of the firewall. Not so easy. Once you find the harness, then you have to get to it. Look under the hood on the far right side opposite to where you find the cp and tucked away under some wires and other junk is the harness. Take a 10mm socket and make sure you have lots of extention and an elbow to unscrew the bolt. The bolt will not come out but rather loosen the harness from the cp. Then go back in the cab and dislodge the cp. Not so easy. The plastic sleeve has a lip at the end which secures it in place. I had to wrestle with it for a while to get it out. Once it's out, then you can pull the cp from the sleeve. There is a small black plastic cover on the rear of the cp with your cp code on it(3 letters and a # which you'll need to know for ordering purposes anyway) Once that is removed, you'll see the contacts underneath.
Now to clean the contacts. Superchips supplied a strip of green sponge to remove the coating. Perf Prod suggested using some rubbing alcohol, Q-tips and the flat edge of a small screwdriver as well. This did the job perfectly. It takes a few minutes, but you have to clean both sides of the contact. First, I scraped off as much of the coating as I felt comfortable with the screwdriver and cleaned with the rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip. I repeated this a few times and then used the green strip to scrub the rest off. This way, I wouldn't harm the silver coating on the contacts themselves, only remove the clearcoat. I double checked to make sure it was all off by lightly scraping the surface of the contacts with the screwdriver. If I saw no more haziness or peeling then I knew the job was done. The chip goes onto the rear of the cp nice and easy. I used a piece of duct tape to secure it in place, just in case. Then the cp goes back into the case. It's a bit tight, but it will be fine. Next just reassemble the cp into the truck and reconnect the harness. Of course the battery is disconnected as any job under the hood is done from the start, so reconnect it and you're on your way. Perf Prod suggests completely clearing the memory by turning the headlights on full after disconnecting the battery for atleast 5 minutes. Somehow, this is the most effective way to start from scratch.
The Results:
I installed it last night and all I could say all day is WOW and other colorful metaphors Right away, I could hear the engine run smoother. The throttle is crisper and the power is noticeable. The truck is an even greater pleasure to drive now. Its operation is soooo smooth. And the way it climbs a hill is mindblowing. I drove up a hill with @ 600 - 700 lbs in the back and I passed 3 vehicles with no hesitation. One of them was a new chevy hd I noticed the performance getting better as the day went on because the cp was relearning everything. Take my word for it, this thing works as advertised!
Ther you go phildacf150. Sorry for such a long post. I get carried away all the time with explanations. Good luck with your SD!

Old 01-31-2002, 09:47 PM
thewhiteford,

Thanks for the great reply, now I know what I'll be getting into when I order My chip this spring. Too cold to be putting on right now for me.

BTW, is the computer code the same on the case as the one on the "Drivers Side" Door jamb? What was your computer Code?

Thanks again,

Old 01-31-2002, 11:07 PM
phildacf150,
Yes, the code on the back of the cp, on the plastic plate covering the contact is the same as the code on the door jamb. My code is AGL0. 3 letters and a number. Glad to be of help

Quick Reply: Size of stock pipe on SD?????