I've got the Flowmaster Blues.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002 | 04:57 PM
|
I've got the Flowmaster Blues.

I had a F/M 40 si/do exhaust put on my truck after I bought it new. When I first got it, it had more torque/HP with the stock exhaust. I seem to have lost alot of power because of the change to duals. I was thinking of putting a Gibson sweptside single exhaust on it, or either put the stock exhaust back on. Whick route would be the best? TIA.

Old 02-05-2002 | 11:17 PM
i used two one chamber Flowmaster's and a true dual set up and i noticed a big increase in the performance of my truck!
JJ

Old 02-06-2002 | 12:43 PM
|
I used one dual chamber si/do Flowmaster non-Delta Flow muffler with 2-1/4" pipes out the back. It lost a little lowend, but the performance of the mid to upper rpm's increased. It's still peppy and all, But I' rather have good sound than performance because I don't tow or race.

Old 02-06-2002 | 03:05 PM
if you are willing to sacrifice low-end performance for sound, then why do u say you have the flowmaster blues? if yoiure looking for more low end, you could always get some 4.10 gears!

Old 02-06-2002 | 04:21 PM
Wink

If sound is what you are after, the Gibson would be the last muffler you would want. It's pretty quiet. I know, I've got one, but I like it that way. I do haul / tow, so I need the low end more then anything.

The Gibson is still much better then stock. It's got enough of a growl to let you know it's not stock, but won't shake the windows either.

Old 02-06-2002 | 07:16 PM
|
What I meant Donate54 was I'M SICK OF FLOWMASTER. If you could only hear my exhaust you would see(hear) why I have the blues. It doesn't sound like duals at all. It sounds more like a 200 hp Johnson outboard. No joke! And the loss of power that the Flows have given me just pisses me off. I'm thinking since I can't make it sound like a v8, I might as well put the stock exhaust back on or get a more quieter, (less weedeater like sound) Gibson SS. JUST AS LONG AS IT DOES'NT SOUND HIGH PITCHED AND RICEY!

Old 02-06-2002 | 07:53 PM
Exclamation WOLVERINE:

That's right. You've got the V6? Well, I don't know what type or brand of muffler that will work for you.

I'd just be guessing, but I'd think you will need to stick to the type of muffler that is specifically designed for a truck. That's gonna be a big, round one that resembles the stock unit. I was really surprised how BIG the Gibson was. You could not see straight through it either. I have no idea what kind of sound a V6 will have with one, but it'll be better then the stock unit!

Good Luck in your quest.

Old 02-08-2002 | 12:53 AM
You cant make a V-6 sound like a V-8. Plain and simple...its like trying to make a 4 hole rice burner sound like a V-8. Like turning an apple into an orange, a pig into a beautiful woman.

Sorry but it just wont happen. If you want V-8 sound, get a V-8.

Old 02-08-2002 | 08:11 AM
|
duh.

Old 02-08-2002 | 09:09 AM
Talking

MN4x4 is right, Wolvie. Ya just can't get it there, bud. But if you can't go for sound, then at least go for performance. Of course, you've got a relatively heavy truck and a V6. So maybe you can compensate with a terrific sound system, eh? That way, when you're cruising around, you can stifle the "Johnson outboard" sound with some heavy tunes and thumping.

Old 02-08-2002 | 12:01 PM
|
Hey Sundog7. I've got my sound system about where I want it for now. Although I am about to build a sub box for a 10" sub. I've got everything but the carpet to put around the box. Don't know right off what kind of sub I'm going to use though. As for performance, I am going to order a Gibson SS to quieten things down a bit. My exhaust sounds too ricey. And it'll give me some more power to play with. There's nothing more sickening than duals on a v6! Take it from me. Oh yeah, do you know where to find at least a 200 watt RMS amp pretty cheap? Nothing fancy. Well, I better skeedaddle. Gotta go to the store to get something to eat! Later alligator.

Old 02-08-2002 | 05:31 PM
Ya know.......That's really a pretty good decision, Wolvie. Gibson produces a premium product. It's not much louder than stock according to threads I've followed here. But no one has been disappointed with it's performance, so far as I've read. I think "FamilyRide" put a Gib on his Expy and loves it. You might research that name. Certainly there are others. I
As for a "cheapie" amp.....They are legion. Jensens leap to mind, and can be "cheap" -- and many have poor quality sound. So can some things you buy on the cheap at Best Buy. Why don't you research amplifiers here?:
http://www.partsexpress.com/
Check out the Lanzar amps in "car stereo". Certainly there are pricier rigs, and those with bigger "names". But $ for $, Lanzar has fair rep. Crutchfield always has a nice selection, too. As always, do yer homework!!

Old 02-09-2002 | 09:10 AM
|
I think I will save my $$$ for a good amp. Good things come to those who wait.

Old 02-10-2002 | 10:06 PM
Ive had my true dual flomaster 40 series setup for about a year now and cannot be more pleased with the sound and performance. I havent really noticed any lost low end and I really love the sound since I added shorty headers bout six months ago

Old 03-10-2002 | 01:44 AM
Gibson sounds like a outboard boat motor on V6

I had a 97 F150 4.2, after listening to a few people on-line about how good Gibson supertruck sounded on 4.2s I decided to buy one. Dont remember the cost but not cheap. I was totally disapointed with the sound almost embarsing.

To make a long story short I bought my 01 about 6 months ago and not putting any exhaust system on it. I agree with the guys with V8s you will never, IMO get a V6 to sound like one so why waste the money. I can tow just fine with my V6, tow my race car, total weight about 3600lbs with trailer no problem.

Just took a round trip to Calif. from New Hampshire this Xmas and averaged approx. 20-21mpg at an average of 70mph. Not bad

Anyway its just my opinion at least about the gibson supertruck exhaust. If I want something that sounds like an outboard boat motor I'll just buy a boat

Last edited by 01 XLT Sport; 03-10-2002 at 01:55 AM.

Quick Reply: I've got the Flowmaster Blues.