Custom Exhaust Traps

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Exhaust Traps

Most of us has heard of Super Traps. If you read my post "X Pipe Bad Boy Exhaust", you know that I opened up my single in dual out system to a true dual 2.5 inch system. You also know that on the dyno, I lost 17 RWHP after the change to true duals. Nothing else was changed and temps were almost the same. Martin Manufacturing designed this trap system to close my system back down and make my system tunable. We all know a single 2.5 pipe will flow more than two 1.25 pipes so Martin Manufacturing made two exhaust traps with interchangable plates. I have 4 sets of these plates starting a little more restrictive than the single 2.5 I had before and going two plates less restrictive than before. The following picture shows, on the left, a stock 2.5 opening and on the right is what both pipes will be restricted to to equal approx. one 2.5 pipe.

This picture shows the intake side of the restrictor with the set screw

When I go to the dyno next time I can just change restrictor plates to tune to the most HP and Torque. These pieces are made of stainless with stainless restrictors plates. They will be mounted inside my exhaust tips and held in place by a threaded set screw. I have more pictures but the lightning is not good. If there is enough interest in this mod, I will take better pictures.

Last edited by Flats Man; 02-12-2002 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-13-2002, 12:37 AM
Question

Flats,

This might be a stupid question, but you never know until you try.

I understand what you are doing with the traps. Am I correct in saying that you want back pressure down low and high flow on the upper end? Doesn't that equal more torque at low rpms and more hp at high rpms? On your dyno runs, you'll be switching from constricted to completely open and seeing what gives you the best combo? How do you decide what to use for daily driving/drag racing?

My main question...assuming that what I said above is correct (back pressure=torque, free flow = hp), and saying right now that I don't really know what a "Super Trap" is, to get the best of both worlds you'd need a infinitely variable trap for your exhaust to optimize it, right? Is there something like this in existance? Maybe something computer controlled that keys off of your rpms?

just something that popped into my head.

Oh, and to answer your question...I love pictures...keep em coming.

Old 02-13-2002, 08:39 AM
Cool

Longhorn4X4- those are good questions. I am no expert on exhausts or I would not have lost 17 RWHP in the first place. I will try to find my peak HP and Torque and that is the way I will drive it on the street. I have the dyno that I am trying to up load to my Photo album that shows the two runs with a 7 lb pulley. They are confusing because they are on different scales but you can clearly see the parallel trends an peak HP and Torque.

There is no variable trap that I know of. You can buy Super Traps from Summitt but they are pricey. What I am trying to find out is: when I ran 287 RWHP with the Old exhaust, was that optimum? If it was more restricted, would I have had 295 rwhp or 280!

Old 02-13-2002, 10:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

This may sound stupid, but JC Whitney has some exhaust tips with a spring loaded flap. The theory is that at low speeds the flap barely opens, but at WOT it opens completely. It's supposed to hold back pressure so you keep your low end, and allows you to run a free flowing exhaust. I have seen those type of tips on race boats before, but I have no idea if they actually work. It would be an interesting experiment for someone with the nerve to try it Is there anything to them, or is it more "TB spacer" BS??? They are called Turbulators, LOL!,,,,,98

Old 02-13-2002, 02:56 PM
Those look pretty interesting. I have dealt with Supertraps on dirt bikes and four-wheelers all my life and loved the sound just never thought it would sound right or do a good job on a truck. I'm staying tuned to see what happens next, LOL.

Old 02-13-2002, 05:33 PM
Cool

I just installed the traps in my truck and the seat-o-meter says I got some torque and HP back! I won't know for sure until I run it on the dyno. The sound changed a little. It sounds a little more mellow and not as harsh. I found that by installing them closer to the end of the Stainless tip, that I could change them out very easily. I jus need a T handle allen wrench and I can change the restrictors in about two minutes. Here is a picture of the front and back of the trap with no plates.

I took this shot from the rear but I needed better lighting. From the back of the truck, they look pretty cool, I think.

Last edited by Flats Man; 02-13-2002 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-13-2002, 06:52 PM
Wink

Who's the guy in the loud shirt picking his noseLOL!,,,,98

They do look sharp, though

Old 02-13-2002, 07:32 PM
Cool

That is actually my Brother-in-law picking his nose. The Dog is named Sparky. He drinks beer with us in the afternoon.

Old 02-13-2002, 08:25 PM
Now I'm really confused Who drinks beer with you in the afternoon? Your brother in law, or the dog? I know, j/k Fred,,,,98

Old 02-13-2002, 08:45 PM
LOL @ 98, that's funny

I wish I had the connections or ability to have something like that made for me if my x-pipe exhaust doesn't work as well as planned.

I assume you had to drill a hole through the tip for the set screw right?

Last edited by KYFordFreak; 02-13-2002 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-14-2002, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by KYFordFreak
Those look pretty interesting. I have dealt with Supertraps on dirt bikes and four-wheelers all my life and loved the sound just never thought it would sound right or do a good job on a truck. I'm staying tuned to see what happens next, LOL.
I've had plenty of them. Not on my current truck, but let me assure you they sound good behind a V8.

Flats,

My buddys dyno testing is this weekend. He already has the Supertrapp on and has been doing a little testing with his friend. They are leaning towards using less discs than they initially thought... They are both confident they have got more low end grunt and not sacrificed at higher revs. We will see. I should be able to catch up with him early next week...

Old 02-14-2002, 08:05 AM
Cool

Hey Screamer-The dog is a hoot. He will not drink beer unless some one else is having one. I guess he is a social drinker!

Good comments from everyone. I had to either install traps or get rid of my new system and go back to the old. With the new engine I have planned, I will need my current system with no restrictor plates. The plates I have mounted now, mathmatically take me back to the restriction of my old system.

KYFordfreak-Randy Martin, of Martin Manufacturing builds custom parts for our trucks. Currently He is making blower pulleys for Magnacharger blowers and has designed a beautiful billet pulley for the Lightning boys. If you go over to the Supercharger thread or go to my album listed above in my signature, you can see some of his work. He has a back ground in racing. Anyway, all this is to say, if you need or want any thing made, you can reach him through Crash, who is a supporting vendor or send me an e-mail and I can put you in touch. Yes I drilled one hole through the bottom of the tip about 1/4 inch back, for the set screw.

Signmaster-When you get results from the dyno, please share it with us and I will do the same. It seems I am always in uncharted waters and it would be great to share info with someone else working on the same project. Is your Buddy a 4.6L or a 5.4L? That would make a big difference.

Old 02-15-2002, 01:57 AM
Flats,

His current project is a 4.6. I'm not sure what the cam spec is on the 'Stangs but right now all the internals are bone stock. He dynod it stock, but I'm not sure what his numbers were.

They tried to do some testing with the exhaust with a G-tech, but they are already to the point of traction problems without sticky tires, so they are trying to get it close via the SOTP dyno, hoping to save time and $$ at the real dyno.

Old 02-15-2002, 09:34 PM
Flatsman
Thanks for the info. I've added that to my contact list in case I ever need something.

Old 02-16-2002, 12:00 PM
Cool

That looks pretty cool. Do you have a close-up of the ends under the bumper?

Quick Reply: Custom Exhaust Traps