Anyone have sound of dynomax on 4.6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2002 | 03:42 AM
|
Question Anyone have sound of dynomax on 4.6?

I know dynomax has a sound clip of the 5.4L in an Expy but just wondering if someone has a sound clip of their own or a friend's 4.6 F150 auto with either the Ultraflow Welded or the Ultraflow SS muffler?

If anyone has such a system how does it compare with OE for noise on the hwy?

Old 03-08-2002 | 05:04 PM
p_ferlow-

Not alot of people here have Ultra-flows; I have it on a 5.4. The SS and the Welded have the same guts, so they sound the same. Mine sounds like this: mild at idle (not too noticeable), about as loud as you could stand on the highway to still talk and hear music, but it really growls at certain loads/rpms. Overall, it's a muffler for people who like a loud, throaty, muscle car sound. Get on it, and you'll be heard blocks away. If I can provide any more information, don't hesitate to ask.

Old 03-12-2002 | 04:40 PM
|
Thanks for your comments Max Mitchell.

You wouldn't happen to have an mp3 sound clip of your truck would you?

Now, did you go with the side exit or out behind the rear passenger side tire? My understanding is that the side exit is much louder than swept-side. Any thoughts?

Got any pics of the flowmaster y-pipe install?

Thanks!

Old 03-12-2002 | 08:34 PM
p_ferlow-

Sorry, but I don't have sound clips or pictures of either. I've never posted either; I'm a technology idiot. Mine is side exit behind the passenger's rear wheel. Yes, a side exit up behind the cab will be louder. I don't think that I could stand that.

Old 03-12-2002 | 08:40 PM
|
Too bad about the techno-idiot thing... oh well. You've got a hell-of-a-lotta posts so you've more than made up for your handicap!

Did you put the flowmaster Y-pipe in same time as the exhaust or one after the other. If not all at once what was the sound/performance difference with the Y-pipe?

Thanks for the info anyhow.

Old 03-12-2002 | 09:12 PM
p-ferlow-

I put the cat-back on first; It went on behind the OEM Y-intersection at the first slip joint. Later, I ordered a 3" mandrel bent 90 degree bend from J.C.Whitney and a FM 3" exit Y-pipe. I took those to be welded in, which took a bit of pipe work. The FM Y-pipe gave a slightly deeper rumble with a bit more of a choppy sound. The performance was noticeable immediately. It gave it more power on WOT and top-end. Manual 1st to 2nd gear shifts at 1/2 throttle layed a tire chirp that it didn't do before.

Old 03-13-2002 | 10:04 PM
they have sound clips from a mustang with a 4.6 and that should give you a pretty good idea.

Old 03-14-2002 | 12:09 AM
|
Yes & no... same displacement but different intake/valve timing, true dual exhaust, etc.

Old 03-14-2002 | 11:31 AM
Question Re: Anyone have sound of dynomax on 4.6?

Originally posted by p_ferlow
I know dynomax has a sound clip of the 5.4L in an Expy but just wondering if someone has a sound clip of their own or a friend's 4.6 F150 auto with either the Ultraflow Welded or the Ultraflow SS muffler?

If anyone has such a system how does it compare with OE for noise on the hwy?

p-ferlow,

I've got a 3" in-out center in/out ultraflow welded if you want to try it. It is kind of loud for a daily driver (basically a 3" straight pipe with ceramic packing)

i'm up in BC till the end of the month make an offer and you are welcome to try it and give it back if you don't like it.

Old 03-16-2002 | 12:42 AM
|
Raoul_d: thanks for the offer. I tried to email you through the website but couldn't.

I'm assuming you had the muffler on your truck & it was too loud for you? What muffler did you get in the end?

How much would you like for the dynomax & where-abouts in BC are you located?

I think I have emailing through the web enabled if you'd like to let me know.

Thanks.

Old 03-16-2002 | 02:14 PM
p_ferlow

I had my local performance exhaust shop install a Dynomax 2.5" SI/SO Super Turbo Muffler (p# 17734). It fits in perfectly, where the stock muffler once was. A 28" 2.5" aluminized pipe was installed aft of the Y-pipe, and runs into the Dynomax.

It sounds good. Not to loud, and just a hint of exhaust note in the cab @ 75 mph, and with the stereo on. It reminds me of my Dad's F350, w/a 460 Big Block, and his Banks 3" exhaust and Airbox.

R1968

Old 03-16-2002 | 10:28 PM
|
I'm looking to add the flowmaster 2.5 to 3 inch out y-pipe and a 3" system from there to behind the rear wheel.

I may just end up getting the 3" dynomax super turbo but I REALLY REALLY hate the vacuum sound at higher rpms that the super turbo can make on some vehicles, particularly on the 5.4L Expy sound sample on dynomax's site.

A friend of mine put 2.25" dual exhaust super turbo dynomax on his 89' 5.0 and it sounded nice below 2500rpm with a nice resonance but above that, there was basically nothing over OE sound... kinda disappointing.

I wish dynomax would come out with a muffler as quiet overall as the super turbo but with some higher rpm sound of the ultra flow series.

I'm starting to once again look at the Flowmaster deltaflow mufflers even though traditionally their flow is lower than dynomax models for some reason. If not straight thru design like the ultraflow SS, perhaps a deltaflow is a compromise v.s. other baffled designs that change the direction of the exhaust flow in the chamber such as the super turbo. I'm also wondering about spintech mufflers but seem pricey.

Any experts have any thoughts? Unfortunately I don't have the dough to blow on an stainless system.

Last edited by p_ferlow; 03-16-2002 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2002 | 12:50 AM
I tried emailing through the website too.

I tried emailing again, otherwise try raoul_d@hotmail.com

Quick Reply: Anyone have sound of dynomax on 4.6?