pipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2002 | 03:57 PM
|
Post pipes

What is the difference between straight pipes and x or y shaped pipes? which is better?

Old 03-16-2002 | 04:06 PM
Straight pipe usually means no mufflers. A y pipe is used to split single exhaust to duals or vice versa. A x pipe crosses both pipes through each other.

If your going for duals your better off to use a muffler that has single in and 2 out. I like the flowmaster 40 series. However you can get Gibson, Dynomax, or even a glasspack. If you don't want to use a muffler most exhaust shops carry y that can be used instead of the muffler. No muffler = louder. The 40 series is nice not to loud but a good mellow tone. Good performance also. It comes down to your preference. Since the vehicle has cats. on it, I'm sure, you wont have any back pressure problems the cats. supply more than enough.

2000 f150 4x4 r/c stepside 5.4l auto

f150online gallery "2000 No Boundaries"

Old 03-16-2002 | 10:37 PM
The original question isn't very clear. Best bet is to go to a muffler website and look at pictures of straight pipe, X-pipe, Y-pipe. Straight pipe is after all straight (usually the terminology for no muffler, X-pipe is used in a true dual system to bring the exhaust gas together just after the cat'converters helping exhaust gas scavenging and smoothing flow, y-pipe is usually used to merge the exhaust pipes from both exhaust manifolds together to go out the back in a single pipe.

I'd think that any quasi-gain in performance from converting to dual out back setup v.s. single swept side style is negated by the weight of the extra piping out to the driver's side. Thickwall exhaust pipe isn't light stuff.

Kinda reminds me of those Acuras with dual rear mufflers and you can see the damn bad design y-pipe just by the rear axle. Makes me lol. First it weighs twice as much as one larger diameter "good" muffler and that y-pipe is having to change the direction of the flow slowing the velocity in the pipe. Anyhow... whatever makes ya happy.

Last edited by p_ferlow; 03-16-2002 at 10:41 PM.

Quick Reply: pipes