Gibson or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002 | 02:23 AM
|
Gibson or not?

I have finally decided to go with a gibson exhaust, but I cannot pick between single in single out, or single in dual out. Please, someone make up my mind for me. If you really don't think I should go with gibson, let me know that too. I do a bit of towing so I don't want to lose my low end torque.

Thanks,
Brent

Old 03-21-2002 | 05:41 AM
Gibson or not

I have just installed a Gibson Super Truck on my 99 F150 4x4 w/5.4. So far its great. Installs easy and looks good. the sound reminds me of muscle cars of days gone by. I chose the super truck exhaust because of its position. I do a bit of light towing, 4 wheeler trailers and a small camper. The exhaust along with a K&N filter has jumped my mileage immediately. After the first tank I saw about 2MPG more.
I don't know if I will keep the Gibson square tips or not. I'm gonna give them a chance to grow on me.
The gibson is a very well made system. You could do worse.

Old 03-21-2002 | 09:14 AM
Thumbs up

brentdrury -
I have the SI/SO Gibson Sweptside, I have been very pleased with the HP gains and the sound of the exhaust. The exhaust has been on my truck for about 3.5 yrs.

I do not think you would ever lose low end torque on the SI/SO Gibson exhaust. Read the information on Gibson's website about their recommendations on towing.

Good Luck!

Old 03-21-2002 | 10:32 AM
where is their website located?

Old 03-21-2002 | 10:44 AM
Old 03-21-2002 | 12:59 PM
Thumbs up

Personally, I like the SI/SO setup. It's got a pretty good "growl" to it, but very quiet in the cab. That's what I wanted. Basically, that's what Gibsons site will tell you. Expecially when towing.

My wife took the truck one day, and I was standing in the driveway. Sounded really good from the outside when she drove away. Much better then the stock setup by far.

Duals are nice and all, but if maintaining the low end is critical, then the SI/SO is the way to go. JMO.

Old 03-21-2002 | 02:33 PM
Talking SI/DO!!!

This week I had a Dynomax Ultra Flow Stainless Steel SI/DO muffler installed on my 5.4L. The sound is very good and I haven't loss any low end torque, in fact there seems to be a little better throttle response. I have one pipe exiting behind each rear tire. So if you wanted a dual out system, the exit style like I have should not effect your towing. Correct?

Old 03-21-2002 | 03:50 PM
Thumbs up

Correct. Out the side(s) is better when towing. Duals or otherwise.

Old 03-22-2002 | 11:44 PM
but if your not towing, then go with the duel rear. I bought mine around june of this year, and ive gotten great results. Sure its not as loud as flowmasters american thunder, but it gets the job done. And there are some respectable performance gains too.

Old 03-23-2002 | 06:24 AM
Angry Super Truck

I have the super truck system. 2 weeks ago I hear a rattling noise under the truck
so I go under & it sounds like 1 of the cats are going bad. I say cool time for headers & hiflow cats.
Yesterday I notice the noise is louder..
Go under again & find that the pipe going into the Gibbson 'muffler' is ready to fall out. Broken at the weld going in. The system is alittle over a year old.
NEVER AGAIN ! ! ! POS

I am alittle pissed....
There ya go.. : )

Sounds great though.. LOL

Old 03-24-2002 | 07:41 PM
Broken weld

Joe T, Give Gibson a call. The system has a lifetime warrenty. If its a broken weld, they should be willing to replace the system. I'm curious if they will or not because I also have a Super Truck system about 2 weeks old.

Old 03-28-2002 | 08:14 PM
Man thats bad news, I've had my super truck over 2 yrs now and no problems whatsoever. I love the sound and the tips did grow on me, but I believe I'd rather have Borla Square slash cut tips.

Old 04-06-2002 | 02:31 AM
Is it possible to get the Supertruck to exit out both sides in front of the rear wheels?

Thanks,
mozy

Quick Reply: Gibson or not?