Loudest possible set-up

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2002 | 11:41 PM
|
Question Loudest possible set-up

Currently I am running 2 1/4" straight pipes which are "Y" piped off behind the cats. They run straight out the back with 18" by 3.5" tips.

This set-up sounds pretty good, and I've gotten lots of compliments on it, but I want something louder. I talked to my exhaust shop and they said that they would remove 2 catalatic converters from my pickup.

I am thinking of running true duals then with Dynomax Racing bullets. What do you think this would sound like?

Also what would you run if you were in my situation?

Old 03-25-2002 | 12:20 AM
Loudest...

I've done 6 - 7 setups on my 2001 alone. The loudest I've found is Flowmaster "Y Pipe" to 3" single "straight" pipe turned down before the rear axle with the longest, 4" tip you can find angled toward the ground. However the 4" tip will run about $100, and the 3" pipe drops backpressure.

I'd do 2 1/2" straight pipe with a 3 1/2" - 4" tip. I miss the top-end...it was really effected, but the low-end is a must, especially since I want larger tires.

Now, when my warrenty runs out, in about 15,000 miles, I want to look into removing the pre-heaters. (Pre-cats) I have a set of O2's before the pre-cats and a set in the middle of the primary cats. I want to remove the pre-cats all together, but their are a few questions I have about this.

1. Will this throw the ECU off any, and throw up a CEL?

2. Will it run like crap by sencing it's running richer?

3. Should the primary cat be moved closer to the manifolds? I want them to get hot enough to work, but not so hot they fry out?

I think this would make these babies nice and loud, and I can't wait to give it a try, but for now, theirs too many questions running through my head about it.

If you try it, please...PLEASE let me know the outcome...I would pay dearly just to get my truck louder.

Also, I wouldn't run Bullets...that setup will actually be quite a bit quiter than what you have now. From no mufflers to 2 mufflers. If you need them for legal reasons, the Flowmaster "Y Pipe" will probably "fool" them, but if you do duals, run them backwards.

-AR

Old 03-25-2002 | 12:25 AM
Talking Oh...

I see now, you'll run the Bullets if you have the pre-cats removed. Well, I would do without at first...if it's too loud, then add them. Save time, and money this way...besides, I'd imagine you'd probably "break even" this way and it's sound the same, loudness wise, but maybe deeper.

Again...GO FOR IT!!! ...and tell me the results. I don't think this has been done here yet.

-AR

Old 03-25-2002 | 12:30 AM
|
Lightbulb

I think the guy at the exhaust shop was just talking about removing the cats, and leaving the pre-cats. I do not know for sure. He said he'd do it and add the Dynomax bullets for $100.

But maybe I will just run the pipes straight with the 2.25" pipes and it should keep my backpressure and low-end just fine.

I have to think about doing this for a while, my exhaust shop is 150 miles or so from where I live right now.

Anyone else have any opinions? I do not want to install headers, so that is out of the question.

Old 03-25-2002 | 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Fordman302
...But maybe I will just run the pipes straight with the 2.25" pipes and it should keep my backpressure and low-end just fine...
thats what i would do. like someone said, if its too loud, THEN add the dynomax mufflers. besides straight pipes rule! (of course, im a little biased )

Old 03-25-2002 | 09:09 AM
Thumbs up Man...

...that's cheap!!! I'd keep your dual 2 1/4" pipes and have him remove the pre-cats, and move the cats a little upstream. You already have nice beefy tips, I didn't see that before. I can't tell wether or not you already have true duals. Are you running the factory "Y Pipe" then another to get the duals or?

-AR

Old 03-25-2002 | 11:01 AM
|
Jackal,

It is fake duals now, it is Y piped off to the duals after the factor Y pipe.

Old 03-25-2002 | 12:08 PM
Post Hmmm...

If you want louder, get a $23 Flowmaster "Y pipe" and run a single pipe and do a "turn-down" as pictured in my thread below. You can re-use one of your tips...they'd be perfect. Also, email me for sound clips of you'd like...but they are without the tip, and pre "Y Pipe" replacement, so it's louder now. If you like the true dual look, have them true dual it out for more sound, using an "X pipe". Then if you lose backpressure, slap on the Bullets.

-AR

Last edited by Jackal; 03-25-2002 at 12:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Loudest possible set-up